+1(514) 937-9445 or Toll-free (Canada & US) +1 (888) 947-9445

Open Work Permit Health Coverage

AMBriers

Star Member
Sep 23, 2018
Hello all,

I am applying for an open work permit with my common-law partner visa application. As I am on the IEC visa currently, I need to provide proof of health insurance covering my intended period of stay in Canada. I am covered on my partner's BlueCross health coverage as her beneficiary. Would this be seen as sufficient health coverage?

Thanks for your time.

canuck_in_uk

VIP Member
May 4, 2012
Visa Office......
London
App. Filed.......
06/12
Hello all,

I am applying for an open work permit with my common-law partner visa application. As I am on the IEC visa currently, I need to provide proof of health insurance covering my intended period of stay in Canada. I am covered on my partner's BlueCross health coverage as her beneficiary. Would this be seen as sufficient health coverage?

Thanks for your time.
Hi

You are not applying for an IEC permit, so you do not need to provide proof of health insurance.

Assuming that you are referring to your partner's benefits through her employer, that is not considered health coverage. It covers extras like prescriptions, physio, etc. Also note that the majority of extended benefit plans require a person to already have provincial health coverage. If you don't have provincial coverage, I suggest you verify with the insurance underwriter of her plan that you are allowed to be covered.

AMBriers

Star Member
Sep 23, 2018
Hi

You are not applying for an IEC permit, so you do not need to provide proof of health insurance.

Assuming that you are referring to your partner's benefits through her employer, that is not considered health coverage. It covers extras like prescriptions, physio, etc. Also note that the majority of extended benefit plans require a person to already have provincial health coverage. If you don't have provincial coverage, I suggest you verify with the insurance underwriter of her plan that you are allowed to be covered.
Thanks for your reply!

I am referring to the document checklist for the Open Work Permit. It says 'If you are a participant in the International Experience Canada (IEC) program, provide proof of health insurance covering the intended extension of your intended stay in Canada'.

Is this referring to if I am applying to extend my IEC?

I am applying for an open work permit as a means of being covered whilst my Common-law partner visa is being processed. I plan to apply for dual-citizenship once I have met the credentials, so I am not sure of my 'intended length of stay in Canada'.

The next relatable option is 'If you are a spouse or common-law partner of an open work-permit holder' (this includes a working holiday work-permit such as the IEC).

It then says that a letter of offer of employment, or contract from current employer is needed. As well as the last 3 pay-stubs and a copy of the open work permit. The only issue with this is that; it asks if you are the partner of an open work-permit holder, which in this case would be my partner. The rest of the document asks that 'I' provide the documents, whereas this option appears to ask my partner for the documents.

Hopefully you can see my confusion. If you need any further explanation, please ask.

Thanks for your time!

canuck_in_uk

VIP Member
May 4, 2012
Visa Office......
London
App. Filed.......
06/12
Thanks for your reply!

I am referring to the document checklist for the Open Work Permit. It says 'If you are a participant in the International Experience Canada (IEC) program, provide proof of health insurance covering the intended extension of your intended stay in Canada'.

I am applying for an open work permit as a means of being covered whilst my Common-law partner visa is being processed. I plan to apply for dual-citizenship once I have met the credentials, so I am not sure of my 'intended length of stay in Canada'.

The next relatable option is 'If you are a spouse or common-law partner of an open work-permit holder' (this includes a working holiday work-permit such as the IEC).

It then says that a letter of offer of employment, or contract from current employer is needed. As well as the last 3 pay-stubs and a copy of the open work permit. The only issue with this is that; it asks if you are the partner of an open work-permit holder, which in this case would be my partner. The rest of the document asks that 'I' provide the documents, whereas this option appears to ask my partner for the documents.

Hopefully you can see my confusion. If you need any further explanation, please ask.

Thanks for your time!
As I said, that requirement applies when applying for IEC. You aren't.

Do you understand the requirements for citizenship? You are still years away from that. It doesn't really matter what you put for intended length of stay.

You are not the spouse or partner of an open work permit holder.

This form is generic. It is not going to be specific to your situation and some fields do not apply.

AMBriers

Star Member
Sep 23, 2018
As I said, that requirement applies when applying for IEC. You aren't.

Do you understand the requirements for citizenship? You are still years away from that. It doesn't really matter what you put for intended length of stay.

You are not the spouse or partner of an open work permit holder.

This form is generic. It is not going to be specific to your situation and some fields do not apply.
Thanks again,

And fair enough. There's not really anything that applies to me in the 'continued' document checklist in that case, which feels a bit sketchy.

Thanks for your time.

YVR123

VIP Member
Jul 27, 2017
Thanks again,

And fair enough. There's not really anything that applies to me in the 'continued' document checklist in that case, which feels a bit sketchy.

Thanks for your time.
The reason is your OWP is a new permit... not continue from your previous one.

1887CAN

Star Member
Sep 19, 2018
Thanks for your reply!

Thanks for your time!
As you've been advised, your work permit is a new one, not a renewal. Complete the forms as if you're applying for an OWP for the first time. If it asks you in the forms if you've previously held a work permit, provide details accordingly. You will have to provide proof of valid status, so if you're IEC work permit is that valid status, then include proof of that.

Try not to overthink this, it's easy to do sometimes as you're trying your best to be accurate and not make mistakes. The OWP application is one of the easiest you'll have to complete. It's surprisingly simple, which I think is why you're second guessing yourself here. Read the guide back to front, everything you'll need to know is in there, directly from IRCC themselves.

sadiajawad

May 16, 2023
I arrived on LMIA based WP with my family (Husband, Spouse, 2 Kids). My wife received Temporary Resident Visa to stay with me until my WP expires. May I know if my kids and wife eligible for health benefits.

YVR123

VIP Member
Jul 27, 2017
I arrived on LMIA based WP with my family (Husband, Spouse, 2 Kids). My wife received Temporary Resident Visa to stay with me until my WP expires. May I know if my kids and wife eligible for health benefits.
You may want to post your question to foreign worker section.
Your answer may depend on which province you are at.

Family sponsorship is for PR/citizen to sponsor their family to become PR.