+1(514) 937-9445 or Toll-free (Canada & US) +1 (888) 947-9445

Open Work Permit for Spouse

logan_wins

Star Member
Dec 8, 2016
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
Hey folks !
I am sure this question has been raised and discussed before, on this forum. I tried checking for the same but did not find any relevant (for me) information.

I am on my PGWP (until 2019) and I am planning to get married. My fiancee is also on a PGWP expiring in April 2017. My question was -
1. What are some specific documents, I would need while applying for my Spouse's open work permit?
2. Is there a time by when I can apply for this extension? (eg. While applying for a Study permit extension, I knew that my application was to be sent within 90 days before the expiry of the permit), is there any time limit applicable for this OWP too ?

Appreciate your response
Thanks !

steelguy

Oct 24, 2016
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
You might want to check if your spouse can get a work permit extension (see PGWP guidleines). As far as I know, PGWP can only be issued once. Not sure if you can get an open working permit after PGWP. I am also interested to know.

For the documents, the most important one is your job offer and payslips. I came with my friend and his wife in the US/Canada border to apply for his PGWP. The spouse was not given a work permit since you have to provide both the job offer and payslips. He has a job offer but the officer is not satisfied without a payslip.

logan_wins said:
Hey folks !
I am sure this question has been raised and discussed before, on this forum. I tried checking for the same but did not find any relevant (for me) information.

I am on my PGWP (until 2019) and I am planning to get married. My fiancee is also on a PGWP expiring in April 2017. My question was -
1. What are some specific documents, I would need while applying for my Spouse's open work permit?
2. Is there a time by when I can apply for this extension? (eg. While applying for a Study permit extension, I knew that my application was to be sent within 90 days before the expiry of the permit), is there any time limit applicable for this OWP too ?

Appreciate your response
Thanks !

logan_wins

Star Member
Dec 8, 2016
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
steelguy said:
You might want to check if your spouse can get a work permit extension (see PGWP guidleines). As far as I know, PGWP can only be issued once. Not sure if you can get an open working permit after PGWP. I am also interested to know.

For the documents, the most important one is your job offer and payslips. I came with my friend and his wife in the US/Canada border to apply for his PGWP. The spouse was not given a work permit since you have to provide both the job offer and payslips. He has a job offer but the officer is not satisfied without a payslip.
Yes - So I called CIC today and they said my spouse can get an Open Work Permit (Having PGWP doesn't matter), provided I have a full time job with payslips. He also said that it doesn't matter if its a contract position, as long as its full time.

JSN_2016

Star Member
May 20, 2016
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
Hi Guys,

I found a person with the same query as mine.

I am on PGWP and my wife is also on PGWP. My PGWP is valid till 2018. Her PGWP is expiring in 1.5 months. I called CIC, they told me to apply for Spouse based open work permit.

Are you going to apply under your CIC account or wife's CIC account?

jes_ON

VIP Member
Jun 22, 2009
Category........
Visa Office......
New York
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
06-May-2010
AOR Received.
13-Aug-2010
File Transfer...
01-Mar-2011
Passport Req..
30-Jun-2011
VISA ISSUED...
12-Jul-2011 (received 25-Jul-2011)
LANDED..........
03-Sep-2011
logan_wins said:
Yes - So I called CIC today and they said my spouse can get an Open Work Permit (Having PGWP doesn't matter), provided I have a full time job with payslips. He also said that it doesn't matter if its a contract position, as long as its full time.
This is correct. You need to provide proof of your full-time skilled employment (.e.g. letter of employment) and a couple of recent paystubs.

jes_ON

VIP Member
Jun 22, 2009
Category........
Visa Office......
New York
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
06-May-2010
AOR Received.
13-Aug-2010
File Transfer...
01-Mar-2011
Passport Req..
30-Jun-2011
VISA ISSUED...
LANDED..........
03-Sep-2011
JSN_2016 said:
Are you going to apply under your CIC account or wife's CIC account?
It is HER application for a permit, so she applies under her own account.

JSN_2016

Star Member
May 20, 2016
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
jes_ON said:
It is HER application for a permit, so she applies under her own account.
Thanks, JES_ON.

As you mentioned, I need to provide my job offer letter and recent pay slips.

I submitted PR documents on Sep-2016.Can I use the same job offer letter which I sent it for PR application under CEC?

dks2323

Star Member
Aug 13, 2013
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
If your job is full time (contractor or permanent, does not matter) and its NOC 0, A or B category job then you can apply for your spouse's OWP. You need your offer letter (with job responsibilities defined and stating that you are full time), couple of salary slips, and your work permit to apply for OWP of your spouse.

As it is a new work permit application and not an extension of your spouse's current BOWP so you can apply anytime but apply it ASAP as her permit is expiring in April. I am not sure if in this case she will be considered on implied status once her permit expires in April.

EDIT: she will be considered on implied status but I am not sure if she can work in this case.

jes_ON

VIP Member
Jun 22, 2009
Category........
Visa Office......
New York
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
06-May-2010
AOR Received.
13-Aug-2010
File Transfer...
01-Mar-2011
Passport Req..
30-Jun-2011
VISA ISSUED...
LANDED..........
03-Sep-2011
JSN_2016 said:
Thanks, JES_ON.

As you mentioned, I need to provide my job offer letter and recent pay slips.

I submitted PR documents on Sep-2016.Can I use the same job offer letter which I sent it for PR application under CEC?
It should have a more recent date on it, but otherwise can be the same letter.

logan_wins

Star Member
Dec 8, 2016
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
dks2323 said:
If your job is full time (contractor or permanent, does not matter) and its NOC 0, A or B category job then you can apply for your spouse's OWP. You need your offer letter (with job responsibilities defined and stating that you are full time), couple of salary slips, and your work permit to apply for OWP of your spouse.

As it is a new work permit application and not an extension of your spouse's current BOWP so you can apply anytime but apply it ASAP as her permit is expiring in April. I am not sure if in this case she will be considered on implied status once her permit expires in April.

EDIT: she will be considered on implied status but I am not sure if she can work in this case.
Hey, yeah we will be applying asap. Not sure about how the implied status would work in this case, but nevertheless we will be applying post January 17th, as the CIC agent specified about the 90 day rule (in this case too)
My contract does not specify if its part-time or full-time, even though I work full time. However, in my organization employee profile, they have placed me under part time contract. So need to figure that out too. Quick question though, will they be checking my pay as compared to the market ratio, coz honestly I am getting pay rate is that of a part-time employee !

dks2323

Star Member
Aug 13, 2013
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
logan_wins said:
Quick question though, will they be checking my pay as compared to the market ratio, coz honestly I am getting pay rate is that of a part-time employee !
Absolutely NOT.....

These things are done only for LMIAs and not in these cases.....

jes_ON

VIP Member
Jun 22, 2009
Category........
Visa Office......
New York
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
06-May-2010
AOR Received.
13-Aug-2010
File Transfer...
01-Mar-2011
Passport Req..
30-Jun-2011
VISA ISSUED...
LANDED..........
03-Sep-2011
logan_wins said:
My contract does not specify if its part-time or full-time, even though I work full time. However, in my organization employee profile, they have placed me under part time contract. So need to figure that out too. Quick question though, will they be checking my pay as compared to the market ratio, coz honestly I am getting pay rate is that of a part-time employee !
Not concerned about your contract, only the letter of employment - what does it say? how many hours worked per week? (That's required for the PR letter of employment).

If the pay rate is greatly out of line with what a full-time employee earns for your occupation, then yes, there could be questions, either about whether you are full-time, or whether you are actually performing the skilled work.

logan_wins

Star Member
Dec 8, 2016
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
jes_ON said:
Not concerned about your contract, only the letter of employment - what does it say? how many hours worked per week? (That's required for the PR letter of employment).

If the pay rate is greatly out of line with what a full-time employee earns for your occupation, then yes, there could be questions, either about whether you are full-time, or whether you are actually performing the skilled work.
My letter of employment says 40 hours per week. My fiancee has a full-time contract position too. Not sure if they would consider his employment status.
But yeah I worry about the earnings part, got to sort that out with my employer !