+1(514) 937-9445 or Toll-free (Canada & US) +1 (888) 947-9445

OPEN WORK PERMIT FOR SPOUSE OF WORK PERMIT HOLDER

vbhatt

Dec 30, 2009
Hi
My husband is working here on work permit. It expired on 15th Dec 09. For which application for extension was already submitted on 20 Nov 09.
on inquiry it has been intimated that it will take 90 days time for extended WP to come.
I joined him on 11th Dec 09, at airport I requested for open work permit and I was refused for the same. Reason was, my husband's work permit extension is not yet confirmed as only extension request is submitted. I am given visa to saty till March 14 2010. i.e. 90 days from his wP expiry day 15th Dec 09.
I am worried about our stay together : In the above case I have following questions:
how can i stay beyond 14 mar 10 or do i need to leave canada ?
when can my husband apply for his OHIP ?
he is paying EI from his salary every month, is it of any use for him ?
Am I eligible to work ? If yes, what is the process and how much time it will take ?
Thanks and regards

Leon

VIP Member
Jun 13, 2008
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
It sounds like you will have to wait until his extension comes through. Once his extension comes through, you can go to the border and apply for your open work permit there or apply through the mail which is slower.

Until you have your work permit, you are not allowed to work.

You will have to ask OHIP if he qualifies. I would have thought he already qualifies.

As for EI, if he gets sick or becomes a father, he would be eligible for sickness or parental leave. If he gets laid off, he might be able to get EI regular benefits but that's where it gets iffy. Because he's not on an open work permit, he can't take any job that comes along so he could be denied regular benefits because of that. It has definitely happened to other people.