+1(514) 937-9445 or Toll-free (Canada & US) +1 (888) 947-9445

Open work permit for Outland Spousal Sponsorship Applicants

Jimmy92

Feb 26, 2018
Hi
my pr application is outland. I am living with my wife. Can I apply for Open work permit inside Canada based on a visitor visa?

KBH

Champion Member
Sep 13, 2017
Toronto, ON
Category........
FAM
Visa Office......
Mississauga
App. Filed.......
August 2nd, 2017
AOR Received.
September 22nd, 2017
File Transfer...
October 7th, 2017
Passport Req..
December 29th, 2017
VISA ISSUED...
January 23rd, 2018
LANDED..........
Feb 1st, 2018
No you cannot. Only inland applicants are eligible to apply for the OWP.

Reactions: LeeTel

scylla

VIP Member
Jun 8, 2010
Toronto
Category........
Visa Office......
Buffalo
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
28-05-2010
AOR Received.
19-08-2010
File Transfer...
28-06-2010
Passport Req..
01-10-2010
VISA ISSUED...
05-10-2010
LANDED..........
05-10-2010
I am in canada based on visitor visa.
Doesn't matter. If you applied outland - you don't qualify for an open work permit.

elomam

Star Member
Jun 23, 2018
Montreal
@KBH & @scylla

guys you're wrong my wife is in the exact same situation as @Jimmy92 , we applied outland while she's here with me on visitor visa (application received on Feb 2nd). We applied for an OWP online on May 24th and we got it approved in July 13th !

KBH

Champion Member
Sep 13, 2017
Toronto, ON
Category........
FAM
Visa Office......
Mississauga
App. Filed.......
August 2nd, 2017
AOR Received.
September 22nd, 2017
File Transfer...
October 7th, 2017
Passport Req..
December 29th, 2017
VISA ISSUED...
January 23rd, 2018
LANDED..........
Feb 1st, 2018
@KBH & @scylla

guys you're wrong my wife is in the exact same situation as @Jimmy92 , we applied outland while she's here with me on visitor visa (application received on Feb 2nd). We applied for an OWP online on May 24th and we got it approved in July 13th !
No, we aren’t wrong. If your wife was issued an OWP, that was a huge oversight by IRCC and I wouldn’t mention it to anybody, as she was definitely NOT eligible to apply for an OWP. You have gotten extremely lucky, in fact, you should probably go buy a lottery ticket.

Please see this link. “Spouse or Common Law Partner in Canada Class” is the formal name for an inland application. Outland is called Family Class and is not included in the OWP pilot program...

http://www.cic.gc.ca/english/helpcentre/answer.asp?qnum=1163&top=17

elomam

Star Member
Jun 23, 2018
Montreal
No, we aren’t wrong. If your wife was issued an OWP, that was a huge oversight by IRCC and I wouldn’t mention it to anybody, as she was definitely NOT eligible to apply for an OWP. You have gotten extremely lucky, in fact, you should probably go buy a lottery ticket.

Please see this link. “Spouse or Common Law Partner in Canada Class” is the formal name for an inland application. Outland is called Family Class and is not included in the OWP pilot program...

http://www.cic.gc.ca/english/helpcentre/answer.asp?qnum=1163&top=17
But see this :
http://www.cic.gc.ca/english/helpcentre/answer.asp?qnum=177&top=17
they mention :
  • applied for permanent residence in Canada
Without indicating under which category you applied for PR, the only condition is to do it from within Canada...

elomam

Star Member
Jun 23, 2018
Montreal
I do still think it's not pure luck :
https://www.canada.ca/en/immigration-refugees-citizenship/services/work-canada/permit/temporary/eligibility.html

Under :
Eligibility requirements if you apply from inside Canada
have applied or been included in an application for permanent residence from inside Canada (you will have to pass certain stages in the main application process to be eligible for a work permit)

So I think (I maybe wrong), my spouse got it cuz she made it a bit far in our sponsorship application.

Snowman1308

Star Member
Oct 30, 2017
https://www.canada.ca/en/immigration-refugees-citizenship/services/work-canada/permit/temporary/eligibility.html

Under :
have applied or been included in an application for permanent residence from inside Canada (you will have to pass certain stages in the main application process to be eligible for a work permit)

So I think (I maybe wrong), my spouse got it cuz she made it a bit far in our sponsorship application.
I don't know seems weird since it would be the first case in years

scylla

VIP Member
Jun 8, 2010
Toronto
Category........
Visa Office......
Buffalo
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
28-05-2010
AOR Received.
19-08-2010
File Transfer...
28-06-2010
Passport Req..
01-10-2010
VISA ISSUED...
05-10-2010
LANDED..........
05-10-2010

Under :

We are not wrong. OWPs are only granted with inland sponsorship applications. This is a black and white rule and very clear in the language above. Either your application is being processed as an inland application and you haven't realized that - or CIC massively messed up (in your favour) and issued an OWP for an outland application.

Snowman1308

Star Member
Oct 30, 2017
We are not wrong. OWPs are only granted with inland sponsorship applications. This is a black and white rule and very clear in the language above. Either your application is being processed as an inland application and you haven't realized that - or CIC massively messed up (in your favour) and issued an OWP for an outland application.
To be fair, he applied as Outland inside Canada so it might be

elomam

Star Member
Jun 23, 2018
Montreal
I can assure you we applied outland.
As if IRCC messed up I don't think so since they took a week to process the online OWP application eligibility. And for less than that they had refused an online study permit application for my spouse on the ground it should be sent to LA VO...
For the Post Owner, I'd suggest the following :
1- If you only wish to extend your stay in Canada and keep a legal status, rather apply for visitor visa extension.
2- If you're in need of a job and you already made it far in your sponsorship process, you can try applying for an OWP online (though apply for a visitor visa extension to stay legal if this OWP application got refused)