+1(514) 937-9445 or Toll-free (Canada & US) +1 (888) 947-9445

Open work permit for my boyfriend

Stefanis

Feb 5, 2018
Hi everyone,

I am currently in Canada on a student visa (post grad) and my boyfriend (of 8+ years) will visit me on a tourist visa. If we marry here, does that mean he can apply for open work permit from Canada, or would he have to leave Canada when his tourist visa expires and apply for it from his home country?

I would be grateful for any help.
Thank you!

canuck_in_uk

VIP Member
May 4, 2012
Visa Office......
London
App. Filed.......
06/12
Hi everyone,

I am currently in Canada on a student visa (post grad) and my boyfriend (of 8+ years) will visit me on a tourist visa. If we marry here, does that mean he can apply for open work permit from Canada, or would he have to leave Canada when his tourist visa expires and apply for it from his home country?

Thank you!
Hi

He could apply from here.

Pecker2012

Jan 10, 2021
Hi everyone,

Thank you!
Hi, can you tell me about your outcome? Did he manage to get work permit? Same situation here :))

Aug 13, 2023
Hi I am Emghie from Philippines, I already started my application for work permit in Canada but the job that I am applying it is a low job skill.
I am planning to bring my common law partner with me in Canada, but as per our regulated consultant since my job is tier 4 or low job skill,
my common law partner can't able to accompany me to Canada as the government didn't approve yet. We live together for more than 2 years now.
Do you have any idea how long my common partner will wait to come in Canada since he is already on my application?