+1(514) 937-9445 or Toll-free (Canada & US) +1 (888) 947-9445

Open Work permit for a spouse of an international student

echomkd

May 26, 2015
Hello everyone,

I would be really thankful if you can share your knowledge or experience regarding the issue that I have.
So, the situation is as follows.
Currently, I am an international master student in Canada. I got the visa and the work permit last year and I came in Canada in August. Then, I started my program on September. When I was applying I was not married. Now, I have a girlfriend back in my country and we are looking for options to be together. My plan is to marry her this summer when I go back and apply for an open work permit for her. I checked the eligibility wizard on the CIC website and it says that she can qualify for an open work permit. Also, at the end it gives the documents that need to be submitted. More concretely, they ask for 1295E, a passport and a digital photo. What is weird for me is that do not ask for the marriage certificate.(I filled the wizard as she is already married) Do you maybe know why is it like that and maybe what are another better options for her coming here, because as far as I remember when I applying for the study permit there was an option to take my close relatives or my wife with me. Thank you in advance.

p.s Her undergraduate studies are still in progress, but she should be done by September 2016. Do you think that while applying if she is still not finished the education will affect the decision of the officers?

Regards,

ivand

Star Member
Mar 15, 2016
Don't do that. She will get rejection 100%.

For CIC it will definitely mean that you are trying to get her to Canada.

Many guys who were trying to get Study Permit had left their spouses in home country. The plan was to get to Canada by themselves and later their spouses would get Open Work Permit and join them in Canada. I haven't heard about a single guy who managed to do it.

Now think about your situation. That guys were married for years and still didn't get OWP for their spouses! While you get married only when you arrived to Canada.

They will definitely think that you are fraud and reject her OWP.

What can you do now? Wait until you get your Permanent Residency and then sponsor her on basis that you were in your home country, met this girl and decided to get married. Obviously, DO NOT DO something stupid as to get her visitor visa to Canada and marry her in Canada because than she wouldn't probably get to Canada EVER.

Although, the lawyers will propose you a lot of combinations with your girl but be wise and think by your own brain. A lot of this combinations will later be possibly done only with litigations against CIC and lawyers will get a lot of money from you.

Reactions: Estrellita Cose

echomkd

May 26, 2015
Hello @ivand. Thank you for the response. Can you please tell me if you had any personal experience with this kind of situation? Do you really know many people that wew rejected? Thanks once more.

hassan.arif

Star Member
Aug 8, 2012
Category........
Visa Office......
ISLAMABAD
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
15-05-2015
File Transfer...
19-05-2015
Med's Request
UPFRONT
Med's Done....
UPFRONT
VISA ISSUED...
06-08-2015
LANDED..........
04-09-2015
Hey guys......
I am in same situation and my applied for SOWP....... I will update when i will get +ive reply from visa officer..... Please do pray for me..... Its difficult but not impossible.

Secondly i will suggest you to call your girl friend on study permit by applying in any university for graduate studies. Later when she arrives here register you marriage.

echomkd

May 26, 2015
Hello guys. Honestly when I firstly asked the question I didnt expect such negative answers. I thought that when we are married the girl will get the visa almost for sure because they cant separate us. Why is it that difficult?

heena1521

Aug 20, 2015
New Delhi
Category........
FSW
NOC Code......
Job Offer........
Yes
App. Filed.......
15-10-2019
AOR Received.
29-10-2020
echomkd said:
Hello guys. Honestly when I firstly asked the question I didnt expect such negative answers. I thought that when we are married the girl will get the visa almost for sure because they cant separate us. Why is it that difficult?
It is difficult because they know once you bring your partner in canada you will not leave the country .
In same delimma! I will apply first for student then will apply for my husband! Because my first application got rejected when we applied together!
Don't know till now which is a better option for spouse... Visit /owp or something else

echomkd

May 26, 2015
Hmm. Well for me it is like I am already there I ma half way through the masters program. So, we should apply just for her. Visit is ok too but owp will be way better. Also, if she is rejected for owp firstly I think then thr visit will be harder because they might suspect on different things.
Anyway thank you
heena1521 said:
It is difficult because they know once you bring your partner in canada you will not leave the country .
In same delimma! I will apply first for student then will apply for my husband! Because my first application got rejected when we applied together!
Don't know till now which is a better option for spouse... Visit /owp or something else

Lobby

Apr 23, 2016
i have a similar situation I got my study permit in january 2014 and got married in April 2014 , have been trying to bring my wife to Canada I have applied three times for a visitors visa but was refused three
Times , am hoping to apply for SOWP for her ? Are there any chances of them
Giving her

Bs65

VIP Member
Mar 22, 2016
Lobby said:
i have a similar situation I got my study permit in january 2014 and got married in April 2014 , have been trying to bring my wife to Canada I have applied three times for a visitors visa but was refused three
Times , am hoping to apply for SOWP for her ? Are there any chances of them
Giving her
Given already refused just for a visitor visa 3 times then unlikely but unless you try you will never know and nobody here can tell you yes or no

asdfgh123

Star Member
Oct 17, 2016
Dear All,
I am writing this post understanding the lack of knowledge we all feel in this regards and the pain you have to take to grab all that knowledge.
I am writing all the details you will need for Spouse open work permit for international students. ;) I am a full time international student here in Canada. I came here in Sept 2016 intake. Just after landing in canada in Spetember 2016, i applied for open work permit for my spouse. I got married in 2015 and just after coming here i applied online with all these docs.
Applicant's docs (My spouse):
Passport
Highest education degree
Marriage Certificate
Marriage Picture (For assuring marriage was genuine)
Experience Letter from current employer (If working somewhere in India or your home country)
Medical Examination

My documents as sponsor:
Passport
Study Permit
College offer letter
College id card(To prove that i am successfully enrolled and studying full time)
Family info Form (Can download from CIC website)

I applied online with a fee of CAD 255 and created and uploaded all docs online.
No attestation required, no hassel at all.

These are the only docs i provided and with the grace of god, she got her visa in a month. :D In the first week of this month she got her visa stamped.

All the people who are tying for same, feel free to shoot me a mail if any doubts are there. If you follow the correct procedure, this is really very easy and non hectic procedure to get your loved ones here with u.
All the best to all. ;D ;D

Trisha22

Oct 19, 2016
Hello

I an really confused what to do?
1) I am on restoration status but I have applied for study permit 1 week ago and restored my status as a student, meanwhile can I get married in this status?
2) If yes, my spouse is on student visa and his study permit is going to expire in April,2016.If I will apply for dependent work permit in December, Is there any chances that I will get dependent work permit.I have heard that IRCC only issue a work permit if his has at least 6 month study permit left?

Your help would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks

veenanair727

Nov 1, 2016
Hii Can you give me your contact details? I am applying online for my Husband's OWP. after reading ur post, i guess you can help me out in this matter. His visa was once rejected earlier in November 2015. Please guide me thru this process. His medicals is on November 4. you can send me a mail regarding your contact details on prasobh666@gmail.com. I am right now in Toronto. Will wait for your reply. Thanks in advance.

Ruhan

May 5, 2016
asdfgh123 said:
Dear All,
I am writing this post understanding the lack of knowledge we all feel in this regards and the pain you have to take to grab all that knowledge.
I am writing all the details you will need for Spouse open work permit for international students. ;) I am a full time international student here in Canada. I came here in Sept 2016 intake. Just after landing in canada in Spetember 2016, i applied for open work permit for my spouse. I got married in 2015 and just after coming here i applied online with all these docs.
Applicant's docs (My spouse):
Passport
Highest education degree
Marriage Certificate
Marriage Picture (For assuring marriage was genuine)
Experience Letter from current employer (If working somewhere in India or your home country)
Medical Examination

My documents as sponsor:
Passport
Study Permit
College offer letter
College id card(To prove that i am successfully enrolled and studying full time)
Family info Form (Can download from CIC website)

I applied online with a fee of CAD 255 and created and uploaded all docs online.
No attestation required, no hassel at all.

These are the only docs i provided and with the grace of god, she got her visa in a month. :D In the first week of this month she got her visa stamped.

All the people who are tying for same, feel free to shoot me a mail if any doubts are there. If you follow the correct procedure, this is really very easy and non hectic procedure to get your loved ones here with u.
All the best to all. ;D ;D

Hi,
Thanks a lot for your details. I am going to face the same scenario as my wife is going to study at BC (Spetember 2017) and we have a plan like I would like to apply for Souse VISA (OWP). Can you please share your SOP which you have submitted for your spouse in the VISA office ? Can i get any mail ID where I can contact for any help from you ?

Regards,