+1(514) 937-9445 or Toll-free (Canada & US) +1 (888) 947-9445

Open work Permit extension via Provincial Nomination Certificate. Is dat Posible

toteme2001

Feb 8, 2011
Hi All

My Name is Albert.. I have been recently been nominated by Opportunities Ontario (Nov 2010) under the Pilot International Masters Stream. I have already submitted my complete application package to the Buffalo, New York Visa Office for permanent resident a little over a month ago

I am currently on an open post-graduation work permit which expires in July 2011. Since the my permanent residence application might not be approved before my work permit expires, the only option I have right now is to extent it to keep my status legal until a receive my permanent residence status

A friend of mine told me today that, I can actually extend my work permit using my Provincial Nomination Certificate instead of an LMO ( Labour Market Opinion). My question are

1. is that possible? that is can I use my provincial nomination certificate to apply for extension of my work permit until I my permanent residence application is approved

2. Do I need another copy of my nomination certificate from Opportunities Ontario to be able to apply for my work permit extension since I've already sent the copy you sent me to the Buffalo Office

3. If possible, can you give me further information on how to go through the whole process or direct me to the appropriate website to get further information on the application process? As in the necessary forms, supporting documents , fees , where to send my application for the work permit extension among others

Any Help would be greatly appreciated. Thank you and Hope to hear from you

Oronno

Star Member
Apr 30, 2009
Hey Albert, I am in the same situation. I have some information to share. Please PM me your email and phone number.

prof456

Star Member
Nov 27, 2009
1. Yes
2. Yes
3. http://www.cic.gc.ca/english/information/applications/extend-worker.asp

Goodluck!
toteme2001 said:
Hi All

My Name is Albert.. I have been recently been nominated by Opportunities Ontario (Nov 2010) under the Pilot International Masters Stream. I have already submitted my complete application package to the Buffalo, New York Visa Office for permanent resident a little over a month ago

I am currently on an open post-graduation work permit which expires in July 2011. Since the my permanent residence application might not be approved before my work permit expires, the only option I have right now is to extent it to keep my status legal until a receive my permanent residence status

A friend of mine told me today that, I can actually extend my work permit using my Provincial Nomination Certificate instead of an LMO ( Labour Market Opinion). My question are

1. is that possible? that is can I use my provincial nomination certificate to apply for extension of my work permit until I my permanent residence application is approved

2. Do I need another copy of my nomination certificate from Opportunities Ontario to be able to apply for my work permit extension since I've already sent the copy you sent me to the Buffalo Office

3. If possible, can you give me further information on how to go through the whole process or direct me to the appropriate website to get further information on the application process? As in the necessary forms, supporting documents , fees , where to send my application for the work permit extension among others

Any Help would be greatly appreciated. Thank you and Hope to hear from you

emadielts

Star Member
Oct 10, 2010
Category........
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
Hi,

Nomination certificate could be used to obtain new work permit or renew work permit without needing LMO labour market opinion. You need letter from the province which nominated you, just look at the letter of nomination you just recieved from Alberta , they sgould enclosed something about that. Just send email or call back alberta PNP or check their website they will tell you what to do, just go fast before you run out of time .

cheers
Adeil
Opportunities Ontario: Nominees – What’s next
Have you been nominated through the Opportunities Ontario: Provincial Nominee Program? Here is some important information you should know.

Applying for permanent residence
Successful nominees must apply to Citizenship and Immigration Canada (CIC) for permanent resident status within 6 months of being nominated by Opportunities Ontario: Provincial Nominee Program. A provincial nomination in itself does not represent legal status in Canada. Until nominees obtain permanent resident status, they require proper authorization to be in Canada.

Temporary work permits
Ontario nominees can apply for a temporary work permit while their permanent residence application is being processed overseas. A provincial nomination does not guarantee approval of a temporary work permit application. CIC is responsible for the issuance of temporary work permits. If granted, the temporary work permit will allow a nominee to travel to Ontario to begin working for his/her employer sooner. Ontario nominees are exempt from the Labour Market Opinion (LMO) process. To learn more about the LMO process visit the Human Resources and Skills Development Canada website.

Opportunities Ontario will support temporary work permit applications of nominees. Opportunities Ontario recommends that nominees check with their nearest visa office to learn about temporary work permit requirements, which may apply to their situation, such as a medical examination.

Learn more
On the Citizenship and Immigration Canada website, you will find:

•Application Forms for Provincial Nominees
•Information about CIC processing times
•A list of visa offices
•The CIC fee schedule
•CIC contact information
You can also visit our Questions and Answers page for more information about Opportunities Ontario.

Welcome to Ontario!
Once you have received your Provincial Nomination Certificate, you may contact Opportunities Ontario at 416-327-0374 or toll-free at 1-866-214-6820 (within North America only) to obtain your welcome package. This package contains important information about housing, employment, schools, transit, health services and other settlement information. The welcome package cannot be used to gain entry to Canada and is an information package only.

The welcome package is only one source of information about settling in Ontario. Additional information can be found in the After You Arrive section of this website, and in these publications:

•Welcome to Ontario Guide (PDF)
•First Days Guide: A Newcomers’ Guide
to Their First Two Weeks in Ontario (PDF)
For information on your first days in Ontario, please click here.

For information on finding housing and finding a place to live in Ontario, please click here.

For information on studying in Ontario, please click here.

For information on general health care and health care services offered by the Government of Ontario, please click here.

dhekky0108

Dec 25, 2009
Calgary, AB
Category........
Visa Office......
cic - buffalo
NOC Code......
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
28-5-2009
Nomination.....
25-01-2010
AOR Received.
25-08-2010
File Transfer...
08-03-2011
Med's Request
25-08-2010
Med's Done....
04-09-2010
Passport Req..
31-03-2011
VISA ISSUED...
09-06-2011
hi. i am on the same situation. do you know which ainp documents needed to apply for that. because i have a copy of the nomination certificate/letter, do i need to send an original copy? is it an open work permit or just the extension for the same employer? my work permit expires july this year. hope you guys could help me too...

sharuu

Champion Member
Jun 2, 2009
Visa Office......
Buff - Ott
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
March 2011
AOR Received.
September 2011
File Transfer...
July 2012
Passport Req..
December 2012
VISA ISSUED...
December 2012
LANDED..........
February 2013
Re: Open work Permit extension via Provincial Nomination Certificate. Is dat Pos

i am on an open work permit and have been nominated. when i apply for extension do i send it to the new employer address or old employer address?

toteme2001

Feb 8, 2011
HuiWang said:
Albert, have you got your WP extension?
No I haven't. The CIC says a post-grad work permit cannot be extended and the only way to get a work permit is to find a job and use the offer letter to apply for a WP.

xide

Mar 17, 2011
Hi Albert,

I am in the same situation as you (Pilot Master Stream Nominee). My Post-Graduate Work Permit will expire in June. I am a full time employee at TD Bank. Do they issue work permit to the person who already has a job?

Thanks a lot

toteme2001

Feb 8, 2011
xide said:
Hi Albert,

I am in the same situation as you (Pilot Master Stream Nominee). My Post-Graduate Work Permit will expire in June. I am a full time employee at TD Bank. Do they issue work permit to the person who already has a job?

Thanks a lot
I will suggest u call the Alberta Case processing center and explain your situation to them. Thats what I did and they gave me the options given my situation. If your PNP certificate has not expired yet, you can use that in place of an LMO and your job offer to apply for a work permit. Just give them a call. Unfortunately, I dont have a job yet. so am screwed bit time!!... good luck

xide

Mar 17, 2011
Thanks for the advise.
Actually I used my PNP certificate applied for a work permit online two months ago. Unfortunately, they send me a letter states that I will need to do the LMO. But on their website they say that Ontario Nominees are exempt from the LMO process. I have called both Ontario Opportunities and CIC to confirm that Ontario Nominees don't need a LMO.
I am going to Buffalo this Friday try to submit the application in person, will update you if there is anything new.

HuiWang

Mar 16, 2011
Hi Xide. I am also working and I think we are in the same situation. Please please update to see if the Ontario Nominees can be exempt from the LMO process. My company is also unwilling to go through that process.

coolleo83

Apr 13, 2011
I am also in the same boat. Any updates on this ? My WP expires July, 2011 and I am nominee under Master's Pilot program.

witzsend

Jun 1, 2011
The Ontario provincial nominees program called Opportunities Ontario states the Provincial nominees are exempt from LMO process.

Ontario nominees can apply for a temporary work permit while their permanent residence application is being processed overseas. A provincial nomination does not guarantee approval of a temporary work permit application. CIC is responsible for the issuance of temporary work permits. If granted, the temporary work permit will allow a nominee to travel to Ontario to begin working for his/her employer sooner. Ontario nominees are exempt from the Labour Market Opinion (LMO) process.

ontarioimmigration.ca/en/pnp/OI_PNPNOMINEES.html

hs202

Nov 21, 2009
NOOOOOOOO

If you apply under Master's category in Ontario, You will have to get LMO for extension. This information is 100% authentic. Try and see the official facebook group of Opportunities Ontario.

For Master's category, you WILL HAVE TO get LMO for extension