+1(514) 937-9445 or Toll-free (Canada & US) +1 (888) 947-9445

Open work permit extension? Spousal open work permit to closed work permit?

greyiee

Jul 30, 2019
Hi all,

My husband has an open work permit issued pursuant to IEC working holiday. I have a spousal open work permit. We are both working in Quebec now. We have applied for CSQ, expecting to receive our CSQ during 1st quarter of 2021. Our open work permits will expire in August 2021. To keep some flexibility with employment options, we would like to keep the open work permit as long as possible. Your advise or experience in this matter is much appreciated:

1. can we extend the IEC working holiday - open work permit? If yes, how should we go about it?

2. My employer and I are happy to continue our working relationship. When i received the CSQ, can my employer complete the employer portal, so that i can apply for a closed work permit? Does it matter if i apply for this closed work permit before or after submitting my PR application?

Thanks in advance!

scylla

VIP Member
Jun 8, 2010
Toronto
Category........
Visa Office......
Buffalo
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
28-05-2010
AOR Received.
19-08-2010
File Transfer...
28-06-2010
Passport Req..
01-10-2010
VISA ISSUED...
05-10-2010
LANDED..........
05-10-2010
Hi all,

My husband has an open work permit issued pursuant to IEC working holiday. I have a spousal open work permit. We are both working in Quebec now. We have applied for CSQ, expecting to receive our CSQ during 1st quarter of 2021. Our open work permits will expire in August 2021. To keep some flexibility with employment options, we would like to keep the open work permit as long as possible. Your advise or experience in this matter is much appreciated:

1. can we extend the IEC working holiday - open work permit? If yes, how should we go about it?

2. My employer and I are happy to continue our working relationship. When i received the CSQ, can my employer complete the employer portal, so that i can apply for a closed work permit? Does it matter if i apply for this closed work permit before or after submitting my PR application?

Thanks in advance!
Hi all,

Thanks in advance!
I'll help with one question.

1. Assuming you hold a Working Holiday Visa (v.s. Young Professional), no, this cannot be extended.

greyiee

Jul 30, 2019
Anyone know is a holder of spousal work permit (open work permit), can apply for their own closed work permit after receiving CSQ? or only the principal open work permit holder can do so?

Leokun

May 25, 2018
You can get employer specific work permit for 2 years after open work permit if you apply for PR and have valid CSQ.

greyiee

Jul 30, 2019
Thank you Leokun. Does it matter if i have an offer for permanent role? Or must the company offers a 2 years contract?

Leokun

May 25, 2018
Thank you Leokun. Does it matter if i have an offer for permanent role? Or must the company offers a 2 years contract?
What do you mean by offer for permanent role?
The company offers noting. They make an account and pay the fees and you are good to apply for employer specific work permit, just keep the receipt.