+1(514) 937-9445 or Toll-free (Canada & US) +1 (888) 947-9445

Open work permit extension questions

Mar 21, 2018
I’ve applied for an open work permit extension (under the family spousal sponsorship application for permanent residence) on Feb 21 2018 due to my passport expiring along with my open work permit on Mar 7 2018.

I received a renewed passport before applying for an extension. I then, applied for the extension with the renewed passport number.

I see that I am on an implied status right now since it’s March 20th now and a decision for extension has not been made yet.

On the IRCC website, it says I can still work as long as I’m on an implied status unless a decision has been made for the permit to not be extended.

Question:
1. Is it as written that I can keep working under implied status?
Or are there any conditions to it that will cause issues later if I kept working after my open work permit expired even if I am on implied status?

2. If someone could confirm that I could keep working and I did continue to get paid, do I have to be paid a certain way for tax purposes?

I’d like to triple check everything. Even if it is possible to work, I want to make sure that I have met all the conditions so it won’t create any problems in the future while I’m applying for permanent residence.

If someone who knows could kindly reply, I would greatly appreciate it.

Thank you in advance.

Last edited:

Helena R

Jul 3, 2017
1. Did you apply for the OWP extension BEFORE the old one expired ? If yes, it is perfectly ok, but you can only keep on working in the same conditions, that is with the same employer. You can go on but wothout changes.

2. Is answered in Q1 I think. Same employer, no changes, everything goes on as before.

This is confirmed, i had the same situation and called 5 times cic centre to check.

As long as you applied on time.