Canada
Category........
NOC Code......
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
Hello Canadavisa.com folks...

I'm in need of some help/explanations!

Here is my situation:
A.) I'm in Canada on a study permit set to expire in 2020. I'll be dropping out of my program this semester (thus, my study permit will expire on April 31, 2017).
B.) I received my invitation to apply for permanent residency ( :)) today through the FSW1 path (have work experience in the U.S.).
C.) I am married to a Canadian Permanent Resident.

I have all my documentation ready to submit PR by the end of April (before my study permit officially expires).

Questions:
1.) Do I even Qualify for an open work permit?
2.) Or is it my best bet to apply for a change in temporary resident visa status and switch my status to visitor so that I have legal TRV status with CIC reviews my PR application?

THANK YOU SO MUCH! +1s to those who are able to help/guide me.

You guys are the best.

Cheers

DRWOU

Star Member
Oct 12, 2016
since you dropped out of school, you will not qualify for the Post Graduate Work permit (which is usually an open work permit)
Alternatively, you mentioned that your spouse is a Canadian permanent resident holder, you will be eligible for spousal open work permit (4 months processing time - paper based application) only if you apply for family sponsorship (in-Canada spousal sponsorship for PR - this takes 12 months of processing time under the new scheme)
2.) Or is it my best bet to apply for a change in temporary resident visa status and switch my status to visitor so that I have legal TRV status with CIC reviews my PR application?
I honestly think its best for you to apply for a TRV so you will have a legal status while you await processing of your application (usually 6 months or less all things been equal)

All the best

lellis2

Nov 20, 2016
Canada
Category........
NOC Code......
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
DRWOU said:
since you dropped out of school, you will not qualify for the Post Graduate Work permit (which is usually an open work permit)
Alternatively, you mentioned that your spouse is a Canadian permanent resident holder, you will be eligible for spousal open work permit (4 months processing time - paper based application) only if you apply for family sponsorship (in-Canada spousal sponsorship for PR - this takes 12 months of processing time under the new scheme)
I honestly think its best for you to apply for a TRV so you will have a legal status while you await processing of your application (usually 6 months or less all things been equal)

All the best
Thanks for your help! A couple of follow-up questions:

1.) Should I apply for a switch to visitor status before I plan on handing in my withdrawal from grad school? (i.e., before April 31st) or should I stretch out the 90-days I'm allowed after and apply then?

2.) Will I have "implied" visitor status while they're assessing my TRV visitor permit?

3.) Should I run into any roadblocks when explaining my situation for switching to visitor permit? Or should it be good??

Thanks...