+1(514) 937-9445 or Toll-free (Canada & US) +1 (888) 947-9445

OPEN WORK PERMIT DENIED

german.aco

Aug 31, 2019
Colombia
Hello guys.

I would like to know if someone here could help me, because my husband and I we both applied for a study permit and for an oper work permit for me. the study permit was approved but OWP was refused. we requested GCMS notes and it says that it was due to we were in coomon law union in which cohabitation for at least one year in mantadory. unfortunately My partner had to travel to australia last year and our cohabitation has a 2 months gap. My question is since cohabitation is only mantadory for common law unions, if we got married, can we apply again? apparently all the other factors such as financials, travel history and ties with my home country were ok. our relationship began in june of 2016 and we have evidence of a genuine relation, such as travel history together, savings together, life insurance and some pictures.

I'll be so pleased if you share some comments of your personal view.

my doubt its if we got married do we have to deal with cohabitation issues?

k.h.p.

VIP Member
Mar 1, 2019
Canada
If you're not common law, the only other way to qualify for this permit is by being married.

Be aware that there is no guarantee you will get this permit. Additionally, since you were denied once, if you get married you may get questions about the validity of the marriage - the visa officer may be concerned the marriage is for immigration purposes.

Reactions: german.aco

german.aco

Aug 31, 2019
Colombia
If you're not common law, the only other way to qualify for this permit is by being married.

Be aware that there is no guarantee you will get this permit. Additionally, since you were denied once, if you get married you may get questions about the validity of the marriage - the visa officer may be concerned the marriage is for immigration purposes.
Thank you very much for you quick reply. we are planning to demonstrate that our relationship is genuine, sadly gay marriage in my country is not very popular and its better no to expose yourself in such a great ceremony, for that reason most of us decide to live together without any formality and only do it when is requested or extremely necessary.

k.h.p.

VIP Member
Mar 1, 2019
Canada
Thank you very much for you quick reply. we are planning to demonstrate that our relationship is genuine, sadly gay marriage in my country is not very popular and its better no to expose yourself in such a great ceremony, for that reason most of us decide to live together without any formality and only do it when is requested or extremely necessary.
That's okay, even if you do a small court marriage if you can justify it - like you did above - then there can be less of an issue. The real problem is that you would be married so soon after being denied common-law. Just be prepared to address this in a letter of explanation.