+1(514) 937-9445 or Toll-free (Canada & US) +1 (888) 947-9445

Open work permit application times

DW86

Sep 16, 2020
Has anybody applied and had an initial response during the pandemic? I sent my application in August but I’m wondering what sort of delay times there will be.

I’ve applied for OWP as part of a PR application but my partner has to return as her UK visa is up.I’m hoping we won’t be in different continents for too long!

primaprime

VIP Member
Apr 6, 2019
Inland work permit processing times are over six months these days, so you've got plenty of time left to wait.

DW86

Sep 16, 2020
What info is that based on? I’m struggling to find anyone who has applied recently who has gone through the process from start to finish!

I’d also be interested to find out how long it took anyone to get an initial reply once application had been received and processing begun! Thanks!

DW86

Sep 16, 2020
I must be doing something wrong because that says 6 weeks for work permits from the UK!

scylla

VIP Member
Jun 8, 2010
Toronto
Category........
Visa Office......
Buffalo
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
28-05-2010
AOR Received.
19-08-2010
File Transfer...
28-06-2010
Passport Req..
01-10-2010
VISA ISSUED...
05-10-2010
LANDED..........
05-10-2010
I must be doing something wrong because that says 6 weeks for work permits from the UK!
There's information lacking... What kind of PR application is this? Though which immigration stream? Is your partner a Canadian who has sponsored you for PR? Or is your partner also applying for PR and you have been included as a dependent?

scylla

VIP Member
Jun 8, 2010
Toronto
Category........
Visa Office......
Buffalo
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
28-05-2010
AOR Received.
19-08-2010
File Transfer...
28-06-2010
Passport Req..
01-10-2010
VISA ISSUED...
05-10-2010
LANDED..........
05-10-2010
Family class, my common-law partner is Canadian and is sponsoring me
Can you clarify if you are in Canada right now? The bit about your partner having to return to Canada because the UK visa has expired is a bit confusing. I'm assuming that both of you are together in Canada right now. Is that right?

scylla

VIP Member
Jun 8, 2010
Toronto
Category........
Visa Office......
Buffalo
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
28-05-2010
AOR Received.
19-08-2010
File Transfer...
28-06-2010
Passport Req..
01-10-2010
VISA ISSUED...
05-10-2010
LANDED..........
05-10-2010
Family class, my common-law partner is Canadian and is sponsoring me
OK - reading through this again, it sounds like you have applied outland which is your only option if you are in the UK. You can only apply using the inland route if both of you are physically in Canada at the time the application is submitted. If I have that right and you are in the UK, then you do not qualify for an OWP and the OWP application is going to be refused. An OWP is only available if you apply inland (which again requires both of you to be physically in Canada).

To add... In terms of getting AOR which is the initial acknowledgement that your application has been received, you are still a number of months away from that. Right now those who applied in March and April are receiving AOR.

There are tons of people going through this process on this forum right now and tons of discussions regarding timelines, etc. They are all in the Family Sponsorship section of the forum. That's where you need to move. But again, if you applied outland, you're not going to get an OWP.

DW86

Sep 16, 2020
OK - that’s new information, thank you. In terms of having to be in Canada to apply for and open work permit could I apply during a visit and then be able leave to return to the UK?

scylla

VIP Member
Jun 8, 2010
Toronto
Category........
Visa Office......
Buffalo
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
28-05-2010
AOR Received.
19-08-2010
File Transfer...
28-06-2010
Passport Req..
01-10-2010
VISA ISSUED...
05-10-2010
LANDED..........
05-10-2010
OK - that’s new information, thank you. In terms of having to be in Canada to apply for and open work permit could I apply during a visit and then be able leave to return to the UK?
Not for any length of time. The inland application route requires both you and your partner to be cohabitating in Canada to qualify. You could get away with a short trip of a couple of weeks, but that's really it.

If you wanted to go with the inland application + OWP, you would also have to withdraw your current outland application and submit a brand new inland application once you and your partner are both physically in Canada. This will restart the clock on processing.

DW86

Sep 16, 2020
Thank you for the info, it’s much appreciated. One last question - is there any work permit or visa that I may be eligible for that will avoid us having to spend a year apart?

We thought that the OWP was it, but obviously not! I’m now very worried since 12+ is a long time to be away from someone you love! I assume we will not get a refund on fees for the OWP application that is going to be rejected!

scylla

VIP Member
Jun 8, 2010
Toronto
Category........
Visa Office......
Buffalo
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
28-05-2010
AOR Received.
19-08-2010
File Transfer...
28-06-2010
Passport Req..
01-10-2010
VISA ISSUED...
05-10-2010
LANDED..........
05-10-2010
Thank you for the info, it’s much appreciated. One last question - is there any work permit or visa that I may be eligible for that will avoid us having to spend a year apart?

We thought that the OWP was it, but obviously not! I’m now very worried since 12+ is a long time to be away from someone you love! I assume we will not get a refund on fees for the OWP application that is going to be rejected!
If you withdraw the OWP now, you should get the fees refunded. Don't wait for it to be refused. Ask for it to be withdrawn.

You can come to Canada on an eTA as a visitor and then extend your stay from within Canada. This would allow you to stay in Canada while you wait for the sponsorship application to be processed. However you won't be able to work until the OWP is approved which will likely take 6-7 months (this of course assumes you apply inland once you arrive and include a new OWP with the inland application).

Otherwise another option is the Working Holiday Visa program provided you are the right age. The downsides of this program are that it's closed right now due to COVID-19 and my guess is that it won't reopen until sometime next year. Also, there are only a limited number of spots available to those from the UK and always more people entering the pool (it's a random draw) vs. spots available. So almost certainly not a feasible option this year and no guarantee for next year.

Otherwise your other option would be to secure a job offer in Canada and for your employer in Canada to obtain an approved LMIA so that you can apply for a closed work permit. Generally speaking, it's extremely difficult to find employers willing to go through this process.