+1(514) 937-9445 or Toll-free (Canada & US) +1 (888) 947-9445

open work permit and passport

Annie45

Apr 29, 2018
Hi, I am an international student, I recently got a new passport to apply for my three years open work permit. My old passport expires 2020 and won't be able to get me the three years owp ", that was why I went for a new passport and on the old passport immigration stamped cancelled without prejudice. Now My Canadian visa and uk visa are both on the old passport, and I intend travelling to the uk soon. Will I have issues travelling with both passports knowing the old one didn't expire before getting a new one? What do I need to travel with? Please help me out

shannon388

Dec 15, 2017
Depending on the country, the old passport is generally cancelled when the new one is issued.
But some countries (e.g. USA) allow to travel using visas on old passport...

shannon388

Dec 15, 2017
You will likely not have issues if traveling with both passports. But again it might a good idea to double check with the consulates...

For Canada: Answer is from official Immigration And Citizenship EN4 Port Of Entry Examinations:

13.18 Valid visas in expired passports

Visa officers will not put a visa in an expired document and will not issue a visa for a period surpassing the expiry date of the passport or travel document. Occasionally, documents containing valid visas are cancelled or replaced. If a valid visa inside an expired document is presented at the POE along with a valid passport or travel document, the visa is considered valid.

Similarly for the UK
(https://www.gov.uk/transfer-visa)
If your passport has expired
You can still use the valid visa in your expired passport, but you’ll need to show your expired passport and your new passport when you’re travelling to and from the UK.

If you’re in the UK, you can apply for a BRP instead.

If you’re outside the UK, you can transfer your visa to your new passport.