+1(514) 937-9445 or Toll-free (Canada & US) +1 (888) 947-9445

Open Visa (International Experience US->CAN) -> normal work visa?

sylvanica

Jun 25, 2014
Hey all!

So I came to Canada on February 1st of this year on an International Experience Canada visa from the US, found a job, and started working at the beginning of March. I live in Quebec, so I'm planning on doing the Programme de l'expérience québécoise to fast-track to permanent residency. However: I need to work in Quebec full-time for 12 months before applying, so my one-year visa won't give me enough time. On top of that, I'd like to actually receive services I pay taxes for (health insurance, etc.)

From what I see online, my employer will have to submit an LMO, and then I apply for a work permit in the same way as I would from outside of Canada?

Do they have to advertise for my job again? (Getting fired while trying to get a visa extension would not be so fun.)

Do you recommend waiting until this fall to apply for an extension / new visa?

amira_mais

Aug 18, 2011
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
Yes, your employer would have to advertise to see if Canadians are available before applying for an LMO. You could then apply for a work permit renewal at CIC's Vegreville, Alberta office, so you wouldn't have to leave Canada.

Another option: I assume your job is NOC 0, A or B (since you said you plan to apply for the Quebec Experience Program in future), so if you want to begin the immigration process right away, you could ask your employer if he/she would support you to immigrate through the Quebec Skilled Worker Program by making you a permanent job offer. A new LMO would not be required since you would be sponsored by the same employer you’re already working for. Details here: http://www.cic.gc.ca/english/immigrate/quebec/index.asp.

logxy

Jun 25, 2014
sylvanica said:
Hey all!

So I came to Canada on February 1st of this year on an International Experience Canada visa from the US, found a job, and started working at the beginning of March. I live in Quebec, so I'm planning on doing the Programme de l'expérience québécoise to fast-track to permanent residency. However: I need to work in Quebec full-time for 12 months before applying, so my one-year visa won't give me enough time. On top of that, I'd like to actually receive services I pay taxes for (health insurance, etc.)

From what I see online, my employer will have to submit an LMO, and then I apply for a work permit in the same way as I would from outside of Canada?

Do they have to advertise for my job again? (Getting fired while trying to get a visa extension would not be so fun.)

Do you recommend waiting until this fall to apply for an extension / new visa?
US citizen? isn't there an NAFTA?

TeddyXYZ

Star Member
Oct 1, 2013
Edmonton
Category........
NOC Code......
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
18-10-2013
LANDED..........
18-06-2014
It's hard to get an LMO for Quebec.

jes_ON

VIP Member
Jun 22, 2009
Category........
Visa Office......
New York
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
06-May-2010
AOR Received.
13-Aug-2010
File Transfer...
01-Mar-2011
Passport Req..
30-Jun-2011
VISA ISSUED...
12-Jul-2011 (received 25-Jul-2011)
LANDED..........
03-Sep-2011
logxy said:
US citizen? isn't there an NAFTA?
You can read about NAFTA starting on p. 147 of the Foreign Workers manual.

The list of professions starts on p. 162, would not be surprised if this is updated soon -

http://www.cic.gc.ca/ENGLISH/RESOURCES/manuals/fw/fw01-eng.pdf

logxy

Jun 25, 2014
jes_ON said:
You can read about NAFTA starting on p. 147 of the Foreign Workers manual.

The list of professions starts on p. 162, would not be surprised if this is updated soon -
yep, limited professions. But a lawyer can always find a work around.

e.g., Many many Canadian software engineers under TN visa in the states use a title "system analyst"