+1(514) 937-9445 or Toll-free (Canada & US) +1 (888) 947-9445

Ontario Works - ELigibility

marketstudent1

Star Member
Sep 19, 2016
Hello, I'm a newcomer and looking for a job. I do not have any income and am surviving from my savings.

One of my settlement agencies suggested I fill for Ontario WOrks, and I did.

I received an email asking for all bank account details for the last 2 months.

Do I also have to share my home country bank account details?

Also, since I cannot find out - I have 6 months of savings in my home country bank account. Neither do I want to misinterpret nor want to lose on the benefit (if eligible).

Could someone let me know if I should go ahead with Ontario WOrks application?

canuck78

VIP Member
Jun 18, 2017
Hello, I'm a newcomer and looking for a job. I do not have any income and am surviving from my savings.

One of my settlement agencies suggested I fill for Ontario WOrks, and I did.

I received an email asking for all bank account details for the last 2 months.

Do I also have to share my home country bank account details?

Also, since I cannot find out - I have 6 months of savings in my home country bank account. Neither do I want to misinterpret nor want to lose on the benefit (if eligible).

Could someone let me know if I should go ahead with Ontario WOrks application?
You are supposed to use your settlement funds when you get to Canada. That is the purpose of the POF when you arrive in Canada. If you do decide to go ahead with trying to apply for Ontario work you must show all your international assets. Failing to do so is a welfare fraud . Welfare is a last option for people who have no or very little savings. It doesn’t seem like you will qualify if you have 6 months of saving and you shouldn’t even be applying if you have used your settlement funds that you were required to have. Receiving welfare will mean that you can not sponsor anyone.

Last edited:

canuck78

VIP Member
Jun 18, 2017
Would add that your previous posts were about renting condos with tennis courts and wanting private laundry. If you are concerned about money I would suggest renting a more affordable apartment. It is your first apartment so it doesn’t need to be in your preferred location or a condo.

marketstudent1

Star Member
Sep 19, 2016
You are supposed to use your settlement funds when you get to Canada. That is the purpose of the POF when you arrive in Canada. If you do decide to go ahead with trying to apply for Ontario work you must show all your international assets. Failing to do so is a welfare fraud . Welfare is a last option for people who have no or very little savings. It doesn’t seem like you will qualify if you have 6 months of saving and you shouldn’t even be applying if you have used your settlement funds that you were required to have. Receiving welfare will mean that you can not sponsor anyone.
Hey, thanks for the clarification. I thought it is something equivalent to employed people getting EI when they get out of the job or normal residents getting the COVID benefit. Since I was not eligible for the latter, I thought this is for someone who's new without any job. I couldn't find much on their website. So I won't go forward. Thanks