+1(514) 937-9445 or Toll-free (Canada & US) +1 (888) 947-9445

ontario standard lease

skarme312

Aug 2, 2017
I'm just wondering if that lease is used as standard.
Their lease does not have anything glaringly wrong with it; except a clause of not having pets. Just wanted to know what is used out there.

eggsterminate

Star Member
Aug 5, 2015
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
I'm just wondering if that lease is used as standard.
Their lease does not have anything glaringly wrong with it; except a clause of not having pets. Just wanted to know what is used out there.
Barring an existing condo rule, the pets clause is completely unenforceable by landlords. All they can do is charge you if you end up with damage due to pets. http://www.mondaq.com/canada/x/564388/landlord+tenant+leases/Renting+in+Ontario+What+Every+Pet+Owner+Needs+to+Know

trumprefugee

Champion Member
Jun 6, 2017
Ottawa, ON
Category........
PNP
Visa Office......
Ottawa
NOC Code......
App. Filed.......
06-01-2018
Nomination.....
19-12-2017
AOR Received.
07-01-2018
IELTS Request
24-06-2017
Med's Done....
05-01-2018
Passport Req..
09-03-2018
VISA ISSUED...
02-04-2018
LANDED..........
28-05-2018
Most landlords in Ontario are required to use the standard lease now. However, there are a few exceptions, such as when the landlord is renting out a room in a house where the landlord also lives (and the tenant needs to share a bathroom and/or kitchen with the landlord).

ramkris

Apr 17, 2010
Category........
Visa Office......
NEW DELHI
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
16-Aug-2013
File Transfer...
13-Sep-2013
Med's Done....
1-Aug-2013
Passport Req..
26-Sep-2013
VISA ISSUED...
19-Apr-2014
LANDED..........
soon
Most landlords in Ontario are required to use the standard lease now. However, there are a few exceptions, such as when the landlord is renting out a room in a house where the landlord also lives (and the tenant needs to share a bathroom and/or kitchen with the landlord).
Hi, Im owner of my house. In the agreement terms with builder it says that I should stay here and can not be rented out. Does it apply for full house or can i rent some rooms ?. I will be also staying in the same house. Is it legal

canuck78

VIP Member
Jun 18, 2017
Hi, Im owner of my house. In the agreement terms with builder it says that I should stay here and can not be rented out. Does it apply for full house or can i rent some rooms ?. I will be also staying in the same house. Is it legal
Assume you are in a condo. Read your condo by-laws. If you have any questions speak to your condo board.

trumprefugee

Champion Member
Jun 6, 2017
Ottawa, ON
Category........
PNP
Visa Office......
Ottawa
NOC Code......
App. Filed.......
06-01-2018
Nomination.....
19-12-2017
AOR Received.
07-01-2018
IELTS Request
24-06-2017
Med's Done....
05-01-2018
Passport Req..
09-03-2018
VISA ISSUED...
02-04-2018
LANDED..........
28-05-2018
Is this a house or a condo? It sounds like a condo. As others have suggested, you should read your condo by-laws. However, I think more likely you are not allowed to rent out your place if you are not living there, but it is probably ok to rent out some rooms if you are living there. By law, even renters are allowed to bring in roommates without needing permission from the landlord, which is different from subletting, in which the renter leaves and rents out their place.

canuck78

VIP Member
Jun 18, 2017
Is this a house or a condo? It sounds like a condo. As others have suggested, you should read your condo by-laws. However, I think more likely you are not allowed to rent out your place if you are not living there, but it is probably ok to rent out some rooms if you are living there. By law, even renters are allowed to bring in roommates without needing permission from the landlord, which is different from subletting, in which the renter leaves and rents out their place.
All depends on the condo. Because of airbnb many condos try to even prevent renting a room. Many do try to get around rental bans by saying that tenants are houseguests. Do agree that renting out a room is less likely to be outlawed in the condo by-laws.

ramkris

Apr 17, 2010
Category........
Visa Office......
NEW DELHI
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
16-Aug-2013
File Transfer...
13-Sep-2013
Med's Done....
1-Aug-2013
Passport Req..
26-Sep-2013
VISA ISSUED...
19-Apr-2014
LANDED..........
soon
This is semi-detached house. Recently bought from builder. I'm trying to approach rental agencies but before that I like to know if I can rent some rooms. Not a apartment or condo
What are the possibilities of changing this agreement?.

canuck78

VIP Member
Jun 18, 2017
We would have to see the agreement you have with your builder. Not sure how is still dictating whether you can set up a rental once you take possession. It is quite unusual to not be able to rent out your own property without permission unless you have some form of community board but they are pretty unusual never in Canada,

ramkris

Apr 17, 2010
Category........
Visa Office......
NEW DELHI
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
16-Aug-2013
File Transfer...
13-Sep-2013
Med's Done....
1-Aug-2013
Passport Req..
26-Sep-2013
VISA ISSUED...
19-Apr-2014
LANDED..........
soon
The Purchaser represents to the vendor,upon which representation the vendor has relied in accepting the purchaser's offer, that the Purchaser is purchasing the real property for the Purchaser's own personal use and not for investment purposes (including as a rental property). The purchaser acknowledges that the truth of this representation is material to the vendor.

The purchaser acknowledges and agrees that if a breach of the above covenant occurs or the vendor discovers that the above representation is not true,the vendor shall have the unilateral right in its sole subjective and absolute discretion to terminate this agreement ,whereupon the deposit and any other amounts paid by the Purchaser(whether directly to the vendor or held in trust) shall be forfeited to the vendor,irrespective of and without prejudice to any other right,cause of action or remedy to which vendor may be entitled

This was on one of the clauses in agreement.