+1(514) 937-9445 or Toll-free (Canada & US) +1 (888) 947-9445

Ontario PNP landing - residency obligations

Ulysses

Aug 16, 2010
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
Hi,

I posted this question in a different forum, but figured out that this forum is more appropriate.

I came to Canada on a study permit, completed my graduate school in Ontario in 2014 (2 yrs Masters, 4.5 yrs PhD) and applied for Permanent Residence under Ontario PNP for International PhD graduates. As this category does not require the applicant to be physically present in the province at the time of applying, I moved to Quebec to work as a postdoc a few months back (this is the first time I moved to another province from Ontario,), which is a one year contract, not a permanent job. My present status is the (open) post graduate work permit.

I have now received an email for my medical tests from CIC and have booked an appointment.

My question is the following: Should I quit my job to go and live in Ontario now, before I do the landing, to convince the immigration authorities that I still intend to live and settle in Ontario? Could I be denied PR for working and living in Quebec, albeit temporarily?

To paraphrase, what if a person is working and living in a different province while his PNP PR application is approved through a different province (where he used to live earlier)? Must the person relocate to the province granting him PNP before he does the official "landing"?

At any rate, I do not speak any French and permanent job opportunities in my field are very limited in Quebec so it's still very likely that I will eventually settle in Ontario.

Will greatly appreciate any response from anybody with some information on this topic.

Ulysses

Aug 16, 2010
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
And a follow up question:

If I do live in Ontario, my province of nomination, after landing, how long must I do that for, before I can move elsewhere?

scylla

VIP Member
Jun 8, 2010
Toronto
Category........
Visa Office......
Buffalo
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
28-05-2010
AOR Received.
19-08-2010
File Transfer...
28-06-2010
Passport Req..
01-10-2010
VISA ISSUED...
05-10-2010
LANDED..........
05-10-2010
Technically you can move to another province immediately after landing. However you must provide an Ontario address for your PR card mailing. Also, we have sometimes seen people refused landing if at the time of their landing they hold a driver's license and/or live in a province other than the one that nominated them. So you should be living in Ontario at the time you land to avoid complications.

Ulysses

Aug 16, 2010
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
Thank you, Scylla, for your prompt and helpful reply. I guess that makes sense. I still have a valid Ontario driver's licence and my present passport has the same Ontario address as well; but to minimize the risks I have decided to go and live in Ontario once I get the final call for landing.

Is it ok if I stay in Ontario for sometime during the time of landing, and then go back to some other province (say, Quebec) to work if I find a job? How long does one need to stay in the province of nomination before they can move elsewhere?

I realize that this is a bit of a grey and murky area as technically as a PR I would be free to live and work anywhere in Canada but at the same time I made a commitment about intending to settle in Ontario. Browsing through some of the other posts in this forum, it appears that many relocate to other provinces after spending a short while in the original province of nomination. However, how short is "too short"? Moreover can PR under PNP be revoked if someone goes to a different province?

Ulysses

Aug 16, 2010
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
There are a lot of people with a wealth of knowledge in this forum and some more inputs would be really helpful. :)

Thito

Dec 3, 2014
Category........
Visa Office......
CPC-Ottawa
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
Ulysses said:
Thank you, Scylla, for your prompt and helpful reply. I guess that makes sense. I still have a valid Ontario driver's licence and my present passport has the same Ontario address as well; but to minimize the risks I have decided to go and live in Ontario once I get the final call for landing.

Is it ok if I stay in Ontario for sometime during the time of landing, and then go back to some other province (say, Quebec) to work if I find a job? How long does one need to stay in the province of nomination before they can move elsewhere?

I realize that this is a bit of a grey and murky area as technically as a PR I would be free to live and work anywhere in Canada but at the same time I made a commitment about intending to settle in Ontario. Browsing through some of the other posts in this forum, it appears that many relocate to other provinces after spending a short while in the original province of nomination. However, how short is "too short"? Moreover can PR under PNP be revoked if someone goes to a different province?
As far as I know, once you complete landing process in Ontario, it takes approx 2 months to get your PR card. Once you get your PR card, you are free to move anywhere in Canada. It doesn't matter which category you have used to get PR, because your application process gets completed and files will be closed after PR card. You r same as any other PR categories.

Ulysses

Aug 16, 2010
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
Hi, I was wondering if it is necessary to quit my temporary contractual job in Quebec before I land, or can I tell them that I am looking for a job in ON which I will start after my present contract is over? Will being employed by an university in Quebec temporarily, go against me?

Please advice! Thanks a lot!

CanV

Champion Member
Apr 30, 2012
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
Ulysses said:
Hi, I was wondering if it is necessary to quit my temporary contractual job in Quebec before I land, or can I tell them that I am looking for a job in ON which I will start after my present contract is over? Will being employed by an university in Quebec temporarily, go against me?

Please advice! Thanks a lot!
Quit then land

neutral

Mar 19, 2015
Montreal
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
If your contract is clearly for a year, you don't speak French neither you plan to learn it and for sure you see in the future yourself in Ontario I don't why you have to move back right now. Of course, you don't have to tell them if they don't ask.

Other option you have is to move to the border between Quebec and Ontario so your house (you live) is in Ontario but you can go to work to Quebec everyday. Many people do that for taxes purposes.

neil_talati09

May 28, 2015
I have some questions regarding landing. I am Ainp nominated and received ppr. Can I land on any border or it has to be Alberta border?
Also can I leave my job after flagpole or I have to wait for card?

neutral

Mar 19, 2015
Montreal
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
neil_talati09 said:
I have some questions regarding landing. I am Ainp nominated and received ppr. Can I land on any border or it has to be Alberta border?
Also can I leave my job after flagpole or I have to wait for card?
You can land anywhere in Canada. I applied thorught Quebec and landed in Ontario.

For the second question If you mean the work you have in your country, it's up to you.

neil_talati09

May 28, 2015
I meant the place where I am working right now in Alberta. I am inland applicant and intend to do landing in Vancouver

neutral

Mar 19, 2015
Montreal
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
neil_talati09 said:
I meant the place where I am working right now in Alberta. I am inland applicant and intend to do landing in Vancouver
As I said before, you can land where you want, in Vancouver is fine. The immigration process is done by Federal officers.

akkii

Aug 5, 2015
I have similar question, I have currently applied under Ontario PNP masters program and my application is under process. I was working in Ottawa, but I got a new job opportunity in Gatineau which is in Quebec. I am not planning to move to quebec I would be just travelling to gatineau for Work. I have all my residence banking done in Ontario only.

So will it be issue for my PNP certificate, as I have no intention to move to Quebec. So kindly please suggest how to move forward with the same, It would highly appreciated.