+1(514) 937-9445 or Toll-free (Canada & US) +1 (888) 947-9445

Ontario photo ID

abdulzeedo

Star Member
Jun 23, 2019
Hi

I went to get a photo ID in service ontario as a temporary resident.

The clerk at the desk asked me to surrender my foreign license. Does it make sense to you guys!?

PAINKILLER28

Jan 24, 2018
They only take away your driving license if you are applying for a BC driving license, if you only want a photo ID then you can just go and apply for one straight forward. Don't know how these things work in Ontario, sorry.

Reactions: mashulia_26

bellaluna

VIP Member
May 23, 2014
Or just say I don’t have one? Cuz I will probably not use it anyway!
Yes, my parents had to surrender their foreign licenses when they applied for their Ontario Photo ID. They then had to surrender the photo IDs when they got their Ontario DLs.

So what's your issue with surrendering your foreign license if you won't use it anyway?

Islander216

Champion Member
Nov 27, 2019
What's the point of getting an Ontario Photo ID if you're a temporary resident?

What would you need it for?

I would assume your foreign driving license is more valuable and can be used a proof of identity.

Reactions: mashulia_26

abdulzeedo

Star Member
Jun 23, 2019
What's the point of getting an Ontario Photo ID if you're a temporary resident?

What would you need it for?

I would assume your foreign driving license is more valuable and can be used a proof of identity.
Most banks asked me to provide at least the Photo ID as it's a government-issued ID and shows my commitment to stay here... Other than that, it shows my address...

Islander216

Champion Member
Nov 27, 2019
Odd, your passport or national ID should be good enough.

But i see how it fulfills a lot of those requirements.

I would not lie about your foreign license, it's something silly to misrepresent but you don't know what the repercussions might be.

abdulzeedo

Star Member
Jun 23, 2019
Odd, your passport or national ID should be good enough.

But i see how it fulfills a lot of those requirements.

I would not lie about your foreign license, it's something silly to misrepresent but you don't know what the repercussions might be.
yeah never lie! I was just testing the waters...

Islander216

Champion Member
Nov 27, 2019
lol, i understand.

I think you should shop around with the banks, because i don't ever remember having to have a local government issued ID to open a bank account as an international student.

Last edited:

abdulzeedo

Star Member
Jun 23, 2019
lol, i understand.

I think you should shop around with the banks, because i don't ever remember having to have a local government issued ID to open as a bank account as an international student.
international student is already a status better than visitor...

canuck78

VIP Member
Jun 18, 2017
You seem to be in the processs of being sponsored by a spouse so not just a temporary visitor. A normal visitor should really be fine with their passport.

PhdStream

Aug 7, 2013
Yes, my parents had to surrender their foreign licenses when they applied for their Ontario Photo ID. They then had to surrender the photo IDs when they got their Ontario DLs.

So what's your issue with surrendering your foreign license if you won't use it anyway?
Hi when getting Ontario DL, did they got experience credit even though they did not have their licence at the time of applying DL?

Apr 5, 2021
Toronto
Category........
FAM
App. Filed.......
03-04-2021
Hi

I went to get a photo ID in service ontario as a temporary resident.

The clerk at the desk asked me to surrender my foreign license. Does it make sense to you guys!?
Hi, I have visitor’s status and I went to apply for a photo ID card and they turned me away saying I need to have either citizenship, pr, work permit or student visa to apply. Do you mind letting me know how you managed to get it and if so, what documents you took with you to get it done?

abdulzeedo

Star Member
Jun 23, 2019
Hi, I have visitor’s status and I went to apply for a photo ID card and they turned me away saying I need to have either citizenship, pr, work permit or student visa to apply. Do you mind letting me know how you managed to get it and if so, what documents you took with you to get it done?
Interesting. I didn’t get to that step as the first thing that the clerk asked me was to surrender my foreign license. I refused to do that and left.
As other users have said, i didn’t really need my Photo ID. I was able to open a bank account after some persistence and connections.