+1(514) 937-9445 or Toll-free (Canada & US) +1 (888) 947-9445

Ontario photo id card

lovesumi

Star Member
Sep 1, 2014
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
Hi Everyone,

Has anyone applied for Ontario photo id card. https://www.ontario.ca/page/ontario-photo-card
I guess i need to have one if i want to buy myself and my wife's insurance for the initial 3 months of landing.
I see on the page its mentioned 6 weeks processing time for photo card :-X

Also will my passport work as "original identity documents to prove your legal name, date of birth and signature" ?
Also i think i will require this when i want to open a bank account and apply for OHIP. Is it correct?

CDNPR2014

VIP Member
Mar 1, 2016
Category........
Visa Office......
Ottawa
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
LANDED..........
there is a list of the approved documents for proving your identity. you have to follow the instrucitons on this list. it looks like you need 3 documents total (1 from list 1 and 2 from list 2):
https://www.ontario.ca/page/acceptable-identity-documents

looking at list 2, it looks like it will be difficult to get the required documents without at least your OHIP card. It looks like you can use your passport and marriage certificate for other proofs. it's the 3rd proof you may have an issue with.

you do not need an ontario id to apply for ohip. You only need to use your Passport and COPR. They will give you a temporary slip until you get your ohip card. i'm not sure if this temporary slip will work for an ontario id, or if you have to wait until you get the ohip card.

i was able to open a bank account with my passport and a credit card with my name on it. there are many banks that offer services to newcomers, so you may not need the ontario id to open an account. i'd recommend checking out scotia bank or rbc for newcomer packages.

in regards to the wait time for the ontario id card. you will get a temporary paper id to use while you wait for your card to get sent. my driver's license came much quicker than they suggested, so it may not be a full 6 weeks wait to get the actual card.

keesio

VIP Member
May 16, 2012
Toronto, Ontario
Category........
Visa Office......
CPP-O
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
09-01-2013
Doc's Request.
09-07-2013
AOR Received.
30-01-2013
File Transfer...
11-02-2013
Med's Done....
02-01-2013
Interview........
waived
Passport Req..
12-07-2013
VISA ISSUED...
15-08-2013
LANDED..........
14-10-2013
I bought my wife some emergency insurance to cover the 3 months wait for OHIP. She didn't have an Ontario Photo card or anything similar. To be honest I just filled out her information online and that was it.

My wife opened a bank account with her passport and SIN number.

She applied for an OHIP card with just her COPR and passport.

TracyCa64

Aug 28, 2014
Ontario
Category........
Visa Office......
Ottawa
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
Oct 2, 2015
Doc's Request.
Form IMM5409 requested Feb 20, 2016
AOR Received.
Nov 25, 2015
File Transfer...
SA- Dec 10, 2015 ** DM- March 14, 2016
Med's Request
Upfront
Med's Done....
Sept 9, 2015
VISA ISSUED...
COPR Rec'd March 18, 2016
LANDED..........
April 16, 2016
keesio said:
I bought my wife some emergency insurance to cover the 3 months wait for OHIP. She didn't have an Ontario Photo card or anything similar. To be honest I just filled out her information online and that was it.

My wife opened a bank account with her passport and SIN number.

She applied for an OHIP card with just her COPR and passport.
To apply for OHIP you need 3 different documents from Service Ontario's lists. I wonder how your wife was able to only use her COPR and passport. Service Ontario is very particular. I went the first time with a copy of a bank statement for one of my documents and since it was a photocopy they wouldn't accept it. I ended up just getting my Ontario DL and went back to apply for OHIP.

Here is the link for information: http://settlement.org/ontario/health/ohip-and-health-insurance/health-ohip-card/what-documents-do-i-need-to-apply-for-a-health-card-ohip/

keesio

VIP Member
May 16, 2012
Toronto, Ontario
Category........
Visa Office......
CPP-O
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
09-01-2013
Doc's Request.
09-07-2013
AOR Received.
30-01-2013
File Transfer...
11-02-2013
Med's Done....
02-01-2013
Interview........
waived
Passport Req..
12-07-2013
VISA ISSUED...
15-08-2013
LANDED..........
14-10-2013
TracyCa64 said:
To apply for OHIP you need 3 different documents from Service Ontario's lists. I wonder how your wife was able to only use her COPR and passport. Service Ontario is very particular. I went the first time with a copy of a bank statement for one of my documents and since it was a photocopy they wouldn't accept it. I ended up just getting my Ontario DL and went back to apply for OHIP.

Here is the link for information: http://settlement.org/ontario/health/ohip-and-health-insurance/health-ohip-card/what-documents-do-i-need-to-apply-for-a-health-card-ohip/
Oops, correct. She also had our lease agreement, which had her name on it also.

TracyCa64

Aug 28, 2014
Ontario
Category........
Visa Office......
Ottawa
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
Oct 2, 2015
Doc's Request.
Form IMM5409 requested Feb 20, 2016
AOR Received.
Nov 25, 2015
File Transfer...
SA- Dec 10, 2015 ** DM- March 14, 2016
Med's Request
Upfront
Med's Done....
Sept 9, 2015
VISA ISSUED...
COPR Rec'd March 18, 2016
LANDED..........
April 16, 2016
keesio said:
Oops, correct. She also had our lease agreement, which had her name on it also.
Oh okay! Cool!

atzquebec

Aug 6, 2015
Visa Office......
Abu Dhabi
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
Med's Done....
01-08-2015
Passport Req..
01-09-2015
VISA ISSUED...
01-10-2015
LANDED..........
April 21 2016
Is it possible for a resident of another province in Canada to apply for the Ontario Photo ID ?

CDNPR2014

VIP Member
Mar 1, 2016
Category........
Visa Office......
Ottawa
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
LANDED..........
atzquebec said:
Is it possible for a resident of another province in Canada to apply for the Ontario Photo ID ?
you will need to check the requirements to see if you can fulfill them. there are 3 items needed:

also note the following:
(from Ontario.ca website)
What you need to know
The Ontario Photo Card cannot be used as travel documentation. It can be used as valid proof of identification for day-to-day business transactions.

If you have an Ontario Photo Card and apply for a driver’s licence, you must turn in your Ontario Photo Card as part of the application process and it will be cancelled.

It looks like you can't have a driver's license AND id card at the same time. so if you have a license in another province and you try to get an ontario id, it looks like your license will be cancelled.

https://www.ontario.ca/page/ontario-photo-card

atzquebec

Aug 6, 2015
Visa Office......
Abu Dhabi
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
Med's Done....
01-08-2015
Passport Req..
01-09-2015
VISA ISSUED...
01-10-2015
LANDED..........
April 21 2016
CDNPR2014 said:
you will need to check the requirements to see if you can fulfill them. there are 3 items needed:

also note the following:
(from Ontario.ca website)
What you need to know
The Ontario Photo Card cannot be used as travel documentation. It can be used as valid proof of identification for day-to-day business transactions.

If you have an Ontario Photo Card and apply for a driver’s licence, you must turn in your Ontario Photo Card as part of the application process and it will be cancelled.

It looks like you can't have a driver's license AND id card at the same time. so if you have a license in another province and you try to get an ontario id, it looks like your license will be cancelled.

https://www.ontario.ca/page/ontario-photo-card
Thanks for the info.

NivedhithaCibi

Jul 22, 2019
Surrey
Category........
PNP
Visa Office......
London
NOC Code......
AOR Received.
20-09-2021
Passport Req..
03-03-2022
LANDED..........
25-08-2022
there is a list of the approved documents for proving your identity. you have to follow the instrucitons on this list. it looks like you need 3 documents total (1 from list 1 and 2 from list 2):

looking at list 2, it looks like it will be difficult to get the required documents without at least your OHIP card. It looks like you can use your passport and marriage certificate for other proofs. it's the 3rd proof you may have an issue with.

you do not need an ontario id to apply for ohip. You only need to use your Passport and COPR. They will give you a temporary slip until you get your ohip card. i'm not sure if this temporary slip will work for an ontario id, or if you have to wait until you get the ohip card.

i was able to open a bank account with my passport and a credit card with my name on it. there are many banks that offer services to newcomers, so you may not need the ontario id to open an account. i'd recommend checking out scotia bank or rbc for newcomer packages.

in regards to the wait time for the ontario id card. you will get a temporary paper id to use while you wait for your card to get sent. my driver's license came much quicker than they suggested, so it may not be a full 6 weeks wait to get the actual card.
If anyone is reading this now please remember to get a photo ID card while on visitor visa you don’t need anything other than a foreign passport . It’s a smooth and easy process

Reactions: desmat

desmat

Champion Member
Feb 8, 2018
If anyone is reading this now please remember to get a photo ID card while on visitor visa you don’t need anything other than a foreign passport . It’s a smooth and easy process
Thanks.. do they ask any question abt status here or not?
And is there a form you had to fill?

NivedhithaCibi

Jul 22, 2019
Surrey
Category........
PNP
Visa Office......
London
NOC Code......
AOR Received.
20-09-2021
Passport Req..
03-03-2022
LANDED..........
25-08-2022
There was a form which the agent filled for me and just asked to sign and yeah i told her the visitor status and she was cool . anyone can get a photo id

desmat

Champion Member
Feb 8, 2018
There was a form which the agent filled for me and just asked to sign and yeah i told her the visitor status and she was cool . anyone can get a photo id
If you don't mind, was this in Brampton or GTA or which city?

Also did they ask your parent if they had driver license? Assuming they have it in India..

NivedhithaCibi

Jul 22, 2019
Surrey
Category........
PNP
Visa Office......
London
NOC Code......
AOR Received.
20-09-2021
Passport Req..
03-03-2022
LANDED..........
25-08-2022

Also did they ask your parent if they had driver license? Assuming they have it in India..
This was

this was downtown .
lol my parent ? Why would they even ask that ? I am over 18 and I don’t think that matters anyways . Secondly they probably can’t even if my parents were in canada coz they dead
You make a lot of assumptions bud

Reactions: foodie69

desmat

Champion Member
Feb 8, 2018
This was

this was downtown .
lol my parent ? Why would they even ask that ? I am over 18 and I don’t think that matters anyways . Secondly they probably can’t even if my parents were in canada coz they dead
You make a lot of assumptions bud
Oh I am sorry.. got mixed some other person comment I guess... u thought you got ontario photo card for a parent...

If it was for you then I meant to ask if service ontario agent asked you if you had any driver license in canada or your home country..