+1(514) 937-9445 or Toll-free (Canada & US) +1 (888) 947-9445

ONTARIO HEALTH CARD

marilugia

Jan 5, 2014
Hi everybody :)
I have the dual citizenship ( Italian and Canadian ) but I have always lived in Italy. Now I'm coming to Canada to study. How and when can I apply for a health card ? I'm going to live in a college, if this helps.
Please, help me !!!!!!!!!!!!!! ::)

canuck_in_uk

VIP Member
May 4, 2012
Visa Office......
London
App. Filed.......
06/12
Depends on the province. Most have a 2-3 month waiting period before you will qualify for coverage.

Leon

VIP Member
Jun 13, 2008
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
Ontario has a 3 month waiting period for health care and unlucky for you, they don't waive it for newcomers which most other provinces do. Just make sure you have travel insurance to take care of your emergencies for the first 3 months.

Here's the info on how to apply for a health card in Ontario:
http://www.health.gov.on.ca/en/public/programs/ohip/

You will need a SIN too, here's info on applying for that: http://www.servicecanada.gc.ca/eng/about/reports/sin/applying.shtml

marilugia

Jan 5, 2014
Thanks for all the information !
So, since i'm still in Italy I can send mail to receive my SIN and I only need to include my Citizenship certificate.
As regards the Health care I have to be in Canada three months before applying, Right ?
You were very helpful ! ;)

Leon

VIP Member
Jun 13, 2008
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
marilugia said:
Thanks for all the information !
So, since i'm still in Italy I can send mail to receive my SIN and I only need to include my Citizenship certificate.
As regards the Health care I have to be in Canada three months before applying, Right ?
You were very helpful ! ;)
You don't have to apply for your SIN before you go to Canada, you can do it at Service Canada in about 5 minutes but if you want to apply beforehand, you can.

You can apply for OHIP before your 3 months are up but you will not get the health card right away. They tend to ask for proof that you are residing in ON like a utility bill, lease agreement or something like that so you may have to wait until you have something like that to show them.