+1(514) 937-9445 or Toll-free (Canada & US) +1 (888) 947-9445

Ontario health card employment letter format & other details

Aug 2, 2019
Format of letter you need from your employer to get Ontario health card:

Date:

To Whom It May Concern

This letter confirms that Mr. Xyz (employee Id: ) joined abc limited on September 06, 2019 as a full-time Supervisor(job title)in the province of Ontario. We are pleased that Mr. Xyz is a permanent employee with us and we intend to employ him for a minimum of next six months.

We hope this information is satisfactory. Should you need any additional information, do not hesitate to contact us.

Regards,
Company's sign & contact details

*Get this print on your company's letter head.

*Original documents needed at Service Ontario to apply OHIP:
Passport
Job letter (one mentioned above)
Work permit
Any address proof of Ontario(driver license etc)

Reactions: Anna Ngac

Anna Ngac

Sep 5, 2019
Format of letter you need from your employer to get Ontario health card:

Date:

To Whom It May Concern

This letter confirms that Mr. Xyz (employee Id: ) joined abc limited on September 06, 2019 as a full-time Supervisor(job title)in the province of Ontario. We are pleased that Mr. Xyz is a permanent employee with us and we intend to employ him for a minimum of next six months.

We hope this information is satisfactory. Should you need any additional information, do not hesitate to contact us.

Regards,
Company's sign & contact details

*Get this print on your company's letter head.

*Original documents needed at Service Ontario to apply OHIP:
Passport
Job letter (one mentioned above)
Work permit
Any address proof of Ontario(driver license etc)
Thank you very much for your sharing Jaspreett!

By the way, does anyone know if I can use the employment contract to apply for OHIP instead of this employment letter? Because I don't want to ask my boss for signing paper again :(

canuck78

VIP Member
Jun 18, 2017
Thank you very much for your sharing Jaspreett!

By the way, does anyone know if I can use the employment contract to apply for OHIP instead of this employment letter? Because I don't want to ask my boss for signing paper again :(
No. Contract usually doesn’t contain all the information needed. You can always attempt to see if it works first.

Reactions: Anna Ngac
Nov 26, 2019
Hello, please help me to know that for making health card in Ontario, can I use employment letter issue to me four month ago. Or I need on current dates.Thank you

canuck78

VIP Member
Jun 18, 2017
Hello, please help me to know that for making health card in Ontario, can I use employment letter issue to me four month ago. Or I need on current dates.Thank you
Current date. Expect that there is a high chance of refusal with an old letter. OHIP would be suspicious that you are no longer employed with an old letter.

ar_uw

Nov 12, 2019
My current job in Ontario is permanent full-time, I am just wondering if those details (obviously along with the start date, work address, job title, letter head, pen-signature) in the letter would be enough or is it absolutely necessary for the employer to explicitly state that the "employee will employed for a minimum of 6 months"?

Anna Ngac

Sep 5, 2019
My current job in Ontario is permanent full-time, I am just wondering if those details (obviously along with the start date, work address, job title, letter head, pen-signature) in the letter would be enough or is it absolutely necessary for the employer to explicitly state that the "employee will employed for a minimum of 6 months"?
3 weeks ago I was wondering the same because my employment agreement includes all of the information required except for the part "employed for min of 6 months" but at the end I decided to ask for an employment letter as Cannuck suggested. I used the form shared by Jasprett, and the officer there said it is perfect.

Reactions: ar_uw and canuck78

canuck78

VIP Member
Jun 18, 2017
Yes would encourage you to follow the format as described as Jaspreet. An employer should be willing to do this. It is really not a big deal. OHIP does need to know that you are currently working and expect to be working for 6 months. You could be already unemployed if you just brought in your contract. As long as you are prepared and have either written down exactly what needs to be in the letter or prepared the letter for your employer already so they can either modify or just print and sign it is not a big hassle for them.

Reactions: ar_uw

ar_uw

Nov 12, 2019
Yes would encourage you to follow the format as described as Jaspreet. An employer should be willing to do this. It is really not a big deal. OHIP does need to know that you are currently working and expect to be working for 6 months. You could be already unemployed if you just brought in your contract. As long as you are prepared and have either written down exactly what needs to be in the letter or prepared the letter for your employer already so they can either modify or just print and sign it is not a big hassle for them.
Thanks, I wasn't planning to use my contract. Instead, I was thinking about obtaining a letter that clearly states the position to be permanent (which it is) rather than have them write 'employ for min of 6 months' as the HR may think they will be contractually obliged to keep someone on by writing the latter.

canuck78

VIP Member
Jun 18, 2017
Thanks, I wasn't planning to use my contract. Instead, I was thinking about obtaining a letter that clearly states the position to be permanent (which it is) rather than have them write 'employ for min of 6 months' as the HR may think they will be contractually obliged to keep someone on by writing the latter.
A permanent employer could work for less than 6 months technically. Use the specific language or risk having to get another letter.

Reactions: ar_uw
Jun 29, 2020
I got my work permit 15 days ago. I have guard me insurance valid till 31st August. My husband did Not apply for health card before. His work permit is going to expire on 30th of july 2020. Can i apply For health card on the basis of my husband now ?(as his work permit is going to expire in 6 days)

canuck78

VIP Member
Jun 18, 2017
I got my work permit 15 days ago. I have guard me insurance valid till 31st August. My husband did Not apply for health card before. His work permit is going to expire on 30th of july 2020. Can i apply For health card on the basis of my husband now ?(as his work permit is going to expire in 6 days)
No you need to qualify on your own with a letter from your employer. If your husband’s WP is expiring on July 30, 2020 when does your WP expire? Did he apply to extend his WP?

canuck78

VIP Member
Jun 18, 2017
My work permit will expire in 2023 and my husband has applied To extend his work permit.
So you must have applications that are not dependent on each other. No you won't be able to apply based on your husband because his work permit is expiring soon and will be in implied status. He won't even be able to get his own OHIP card. OHIP cards are usually not given during implied status although you can fight for that if you want. Having a spouse get OHIP based on the spouse's implied status isn't possible based on my experience. Once you have a job lasting over 6 months or your husband has approval of his work permit extension you should both qualify.