Waived
Passport Req..
13-Jul-2015
VISA ISSUED...
03-Aug-2015
LANDED..........
27-Nov-2015
logic_bomb said:
-> Give the G2 test and clear it (they are less stringent in observations than G) and then give for G level after a year or two of practicing

Seems this is best option , ya insurance + parking costs (500+120 parking rate in my building per month+Variable cost depends on roads/office space at least 6$ a day) , made me forget buying car and use TTC. I am occasionally renting car now which is quite cheaper compared to cost of owning one.
500 insurance? Where did you get this figure from. Pls do not scare others.lol.

Car ownership cost can anywhere be in range of 600-1000 Dollars a month.
Here is the brkup
Lease/finance costs - 300-400 a month if you buy a new car.
Insurance- 250-350 a month for a beginner.
Petrol - 100-150, if you are strictly using it for personal use.
Parking - 100-150.

There are so many factors involved, some of these costs can be lower or higher based on your situation.
I leased a new car and I am paying 300 for lease plus 250 for insurance (fresh G2 license) a month, in downtown Toronto.

sistemc

Feb 2, 2014
When I arrived to Canada it was much cheaper to rent a car for the additional three weeks while waiting for the G license drive test, than to get the insurance based on the G1 license.

So I bought an used car for $3100, park it somewhere without the license plates, get G, insured the car for $2000, got license plates and return the rent a car. Other option was to insure the car based on the G1 which was around $4000.

It was a little gamble, but I passed G at a first try. I bought two times two hours of driving instructions before that.

In theory, you need to register a car within few days after the purchase, but they did not complicate at Service Ontario when I registered it a month after I bought it.

alok4best

Dec 19, 2014
Frankfurt
Category........
Visa Office......
Vienna
NOC Code......
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
8-Dec-2014
Nomination.....
24-Feb-2015
AOR Received.
7-Apr-2015
IELTS Request
Submitted with application
File Transfer...
7-Apr-2015
Med's Request
17-Jun-2015
Med's Done....
23-Jun-2015
Interview........
Waived
Passport Req..
13-Jul-2015
VISA ISSUED...
03-Aug-2015
LANDED..........
27-Nov-2015
sistemc said:
When I arrived to Canada it was much cheaper to rent a car for the additional three weeks while waiting for the G license drive test, than to get the insurance based on the G1 license.

So I bought an used car for $3100, park it somewhere without the license plates, get G, insured the car for $2000, got license plates and return the rent a car. Other option was to insure the car based on the G1 which was around $4000.

It was a little gamble, but I passed G at a first try. I bought two times two hours of driving instructions before that.

In theory, you need to register a car within few days after the purchase, but they did not complicate at Service Ontario when I registered it a month after I bought it.
I see that's pointless, because even if you buy insurance at $4000 a year on G1, you can always call up your insurer the moment you get your G and get the premiums reduced.

jodha23

Oct 7, 2019
Reviving old thread, but want to know experiences of any 15+ yr driving experienced people. I have 20+ yrs of driving experience in India and i am here in Canada with family on inter-company transfer only. I hold the paper card of old indian driving licenses without the paper proof of license history etc. (whatsoever that may be as told by one driving school in toronto). Anyways i wanted to buy ford f150 and use jst for the fun of it and insurance rates told to me are abt 800 cad per month on 8-10 yrs old truck. adding up maintenance and all other ongoing costs and 2-3 yr process of getting driving license itself; i gave up the idea of getting driving license altogether here. Uber/lyft and sometimes Public transport works out much more cheaper. Want to know if someone in same boat or have thought of it Or is it even worth to get canada driver license.

steaky

VIP Member
Nov 11, 2008
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
Reviving old thread, but want to know experiences of any 15+ yr driving experienced people. I have 20+ yrs of driving experience in India and i am here in Canada with family on inter-company transfer only. I hold the paper card of old indian driving licenses without the paper proof of license history etc. (whatsoever that may be as told by one driving school in toronto). Anyways i wanted to buy ford f150 and use jst for the fun of it and insurance rates told to me are abt 800 cad per month on 8-10 yrs old truck. adding up maintenance and all other ongoing costs and 2-3 yr process of getting driving license itself; i gave up the idea of getting driving license altogether here. Uber/lyft and sometimes Public transport works out much more cheaper. Want to know if someone in same boat or have thought of it Or is it even worth to get canada driver license.
Especially in this pandemic, having your own car, is much more convenient and hygiene. Worth to get driver license. After the pandemic, you can plan for a road trip across Canada - you can see the hidden gems in this country.