+1(514) 937-9445 or Toll-free (Canada & US) +1 (888) 947-9445

Ontario Drivers license....practical experience

patriotman

Oct 25, 2009
Dear All

Could anyone help with obtaining an ontario drivers license...

i read the hand book but i need someones help who had a real life experience with obtaining the licene

i have been driving since 15 years....

in that case would that help waive some of the beginners driving requirements??

what sort of license would i be issued and for how long would that be valid

i also do have an expired US drivers license...

any help would be appreciated

Leon

VIP Member
Jun 13, 2008
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
I did not do the license in Ontario, I did it in AB but it should be similar. If you have a license from a country that has an exchange agreement with Ontario, you would just do an exchange. Since your US license is expired, it is probably not good for that but doesn't hurt to ask. If your other license is not from a country with an exchange agreement, that would mean you'd have to take the exam.

You can read about this at http://www.drivetest.ca/en/license/OutOfCountryDrivers.aspx Because Ontario like many provinces has a graduated licensing program, you need to prove how long you have been driving before they will allow you to take the full exam and get a full license.

Before you take the written exam, study the book. Before you take the driving exam, make sure you drive carefully, don't exceed the speed limit, shoulder check and use your signals and you should be fine.

patriotman

Oct 25, 2009
Thank you so much leon for your very helpful post..

well yeah my other license comes from a country with no agrrement..

In that case you mean i should get a proof of my earlier 15 years experience!!! is that true..

in that case would i be legible for the full drivers license??

again thanks allot for such information

Leon

VIP Member
Jun 13, 2008
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
Yes, on the link I posted they say:

To obtain recognition for more than 12 months driving experience, applicants are required to obtain written authentication of their foreign driving experience from the originating licensing agency, or from the Embassy, Consulate or High Commissioners' offices representing the jurisdiction. The authentication letter must be on official letterhead and be written in either English or French. It must be dated and cannot be more than 6 months old. If the Authentication Letter is in a language other than English or French, it must be accompanied by a Letter of Translation from a qualified translator.
So get a letter from the licensing agency or police in your country verifying your experience and they will let you take the full test and get a full license.

lenkact

Feb 11, 2009
Hey ! Guys, I have been driving in the US since 1994 my US license valid until 2011, do i have to do the test again in oder to get Ontario License? Please give me answer on this.

rbalajibe

Sep 20, 2009
lenkact:

If you have valid US license, you can exchange in Ontario to get G License. No written/road test.

mediajunkie

Star Member
Sep 2, 2009
If you have a letter stating you have 15 years of driving experience, it will NOT grant you a reprieve from taking the driving test unless you are from all the countries listed on the Drivetest site (US, Japan, Korea, Austria, etc.).

If your US driver's license has been expired for less than a year, you can exchange it for a full license. If not you will need to take the test.

The only thing a letter from your home country will do is let them input that you have 15 years of driving experience into your driving record when you finally do get your license. This will help reduce your insurance rates but not prevent you from taking a test.

My entire family had to take the written and driving test all over again and both my parents have over 30 years of driving experience each. If you fail the written test in Ontario you are allowed to re-take it immediately as long as you pay $10. My mother took hers 6 times in the same day before she finally passed.

Leon

VIP Member
Jun 13, 2008
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
The driving experience only comes in for him to be allowed to take the road test right away. If he can't prove driving experience, he might end up in their graduated DL system and will be treated as a newbie, have to take the written test, get a learners license, wait for a year, then take the road test to get the learner 2 license etc.

bluepine

Star Member
Jun 4, 2009
Can we attach photo copies of previous license which indicate the number of years been driving or its mandatory to get official letter from high commission in Canada.

Leon

VIP Member
Jun 13, 2008
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
If you go to the link at http://www.drivetest.ca/en/license/OutOfCountryDrivers.aspx it will tell you what you need and it does say you need a letter but it would not be from High commission in Canada. Since it's a letter verifying your driving experience in your home country, it would be from your home country, traffic authority, police, whoever might do that in your country.

charkei

Star Member
Oct 9, 2011
Dipolog City
Category........
Visa Office......
Manila
NOC Code......
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
09-12-2010
AOR Received.
08-03-2011
File Transfer...
30-03-2011
Med's Request
07-07-2011
Med's Done....
27-07-2011
Interview........
waived
Passport Req..
30-09-2011
VISA ISSUED...
24-10-2011
LANDED..........
21-01-2012
Hi guys! May I ask what is the difference between the Letter of Authentication and the International Driving Permit/License? Is it a two different things? Thanks much!

Leon

VIP Member
Jun 13, 2008
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
charkei said:
Hi guys! May I ask what is the difference between the Letter of Authentication and the International Driving Permit/License? Is it a two different things? Thanks much!
Yes, they are two different things. A letter from a driving authority in your country is more of a statement that you have a drivers license and for how long you have had it. Maybe it includes your traffic violations as well. The letter does not act as a drivers license.

An international drivers permit is a document with your photo on it that states in several languages that you can drive and should only be used with your valid drivers license. An IDP has the purpose of proving to various authority that your foreign drivers license is just that and not for example a library card.

optimus

Dec 14, 2011
Category........
Visa Office......
CPP Ottawa
NOC Code......
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
18-01-2013
AOR Received.
26-02-2013
IELTS Request
With App
Med's Request
21-11-2013
Med's Done....
28-11-2013
Passport Req..
11-12-2013
VISA ISSUED...
24-12-2013
LANDED..........
30-12-2013
Charkei,
Just in case if you are planning to get a Authentication letter from your country, do make sure they give it in a proper sheet with official letter head .Also make sure they mention the date of issue.
MTO is very specific on this.

charkei

Star Member
Oct 9, 2011
Dipolog City
Category........
Visa Office......
Manila
NOC Code......
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
09-12-2010
AOR Received.
08-03-2011
File Transfer...
30-03-2011
Med's Request
07-07-2011
Med's Done....
27-07-2011
Interview........
waived
Passport Req..
30-09-2011
VISA ISSUED...
24-10-2011
LANDED..........
21-01-2012
Thanks guys! My goal is to have a Canadian drivers license. What should I have between the two? :)