+1(514) 937-9445 or Toll-free (Canada & US) +1 (888) 947-9445

Ontario Driver's License Exchange with a NJ Driver's License

kapil_takeit_easy

Jul 15, 2016
Okay. so while I sent the request to NJ DMV for Driver appl request form and wait, I thought of trying a third time with Service Ontario (College Station - Toronto). My earlier two unsuccessful attempts were at Drive Test Center. so third time the folks at Serv Ont did accept the existing NJ Driver extract. They still did not consider my original issue date but considered one other date for one of the speeding tickets (which was very close to Orig issue date). That data happened to be two years ago, so I was issued the G class license this time around !

And just about 15 days from the time I sent the request to NJ DMV, I received the documents from them too (original documents for original DL issue date). Thanks Sonia for your help with driver request form.

andyCanadian

Oct 19, 2014
Visa Office......
NDVO-> CVO
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
28-11-2014
Nomination.....
14-02-2015
AOR Received.
07-04-2015
Med's Request
28-08-2015
Med's Done....
21-01-2016
Passport Req..
26-04-2016
VISA ISSUED...
01-06-2016
LANDED..........
02-08-2016
Hi Kapil,
So for you what did the document contain, one that was sent from Trenton (DO-11) ?
Did it have only first time license was issued related records ( till the forst NJ License renewal) , or it had every record till your recent valid NJDL ?

Thanks in advance.

P.S. I also have visited Trenton and they gave only extract (DO-21) , which does not have any info. I am planing to go to College Street Service Ontario this week. Though I am not having the oldest NJ license ( Issued in July 2007), I still have the first renewed license ( issued in Oct 2010) ... my current NJ license is valid till Dec 2016. I will try to see if this will be good for Service Ontario (College Street location) .

Regards,
Andy

hakweye

Star Member
Nov 16, 2016
Okay. so while I sent the request to NJ DMV for Driver appl request form and wait, I thought of trying a third time with Service Ontario (College Station - Toronto). My earlier two unsuccessful attempts were at Drive Test Center. so third time the folks at Serv Ont did accept the existing NJ Driver extract. They still did not consider my original issue date but considered one other date for one of the speeding tickets (which was very close to Orig issue date). That data happened to be two years ago, so I was issued the G class license this time around !

And just about 15 days from the time I sent the request to NJ DMV, I received the documents from them too (original documents for original DL issue date). Thanks Sonia for your help with driver request form.
Kapil, did you get the form.? I have few questions on how did you fill the canada address

seamarine

Star Member
Jun 5, 2018
Hello people

If there are more than 2 NJ dl's should I be submitting multiple checks or just 1 check with the full amount? Looking for advise from people who have filled the DO11 forms

seamarine

Star Member
Jun 5, 2018

If there are more than 2 NJ dl's should I be submitting multiple checks or just 1 check with the full amount? Looking for advise from people who have filled the DO11 forms

A J

Star Member
May 28, 2017
Hi Kapil,
So for you what did the document contain, one that was sent from Trenton (DO-11) ?
Did it have only first time license was issued related records ( till the forst NJ License renewal) , or it had every record till your recent valid NJDL ?

Thanks in advance.

P.S. I also have visited Trenton and they gave only extract (DO-21) , which does not have any info. I am planing to go to College Street Service Ontario this week. Though I am not having the oldest NJ license ( Issued in July 2007), I still have the first renewed license ( issued in Oct 2010) ... my current NJ license is valid till Dec 2016. I will try to see if this will be good for Service Ontario (College Street location) .

Regards,
Andy
Did you get a G then at Service Ontario (College Street location) .?

subodhp

Jun 19, 2019
Toronto
I first got my Driver abstract from NJ but that didn't work in Drive Test here since it didn't have the first issue date. So i called DMV and ordered another document called Driver License Application History. This has my original application copy with my first issue and my first expiry date of license and on another page it has the final date of my expiry after renewals. Will this work for Ontario license exchange?
Check for a specific thread on this forum for nj license transfers

MittalM

Apr 18, 2019
Hi,
Soon I will be moving from NJ to Toronto. Any help on this would be appreciated.
I have this brief license history in NJ.
  • Sept 2015 to May 2016
  • Nov 2019 to Sept 2020
So, total exp is less than 2 years. I have already ordered DO - 21, but looks like I also have to order DO 11 for renewal history and to get an original issue date. My questions are:

1. Do I have to order two DO 11 or just older one Sept 2015 and valid current license will work ? How to order DO 11 online ?
  2. Since I have less than 2 years driving exp on NJ license, I assume, will not get G license directly...So what license I will be getting in Ontario ? G2 ?
  3. Can we register a car with G2 license ? I am planning to import a car from USA.
  4. What documents should I carry from my USA insurance companies to get any benefits in rates from Canada companies ?
  5. I have India license with 8 years of history, Can I get any advantage if I use India license over less than two years of NJ license ?

Thank You !!

Aug 16, 2019
Hi All,
I am from New Jersey and I moved to Canada recently. I wanted to have Ontario DL and I went to drive test near by and they did not accept the abstract and asked to apply for DO-11. I have followed Kapil's advise as we were asked to submit DO-11 to get the drivers history. We thought of doing the same. However, we gave a try at Service Ontario Bay and College in Toronto and they have accepted our 5 year abstract Driver history and gave us Ontario G class license.

Reactions: karthikb_itpro

Umarama29

Jun 26, 2020
Hi All,
After going through this thread, I'm planning to order for the DO 11 form as the service Ontario didn't accept my Abstract from NJ. I'm currently in Canada and I do not have US check with me. Not sure where to get the Money Order in US currency. Could someone please guide me.

bharanidharanek

Apr 7, 2018
Hi All,

I have filled the DO-11 form but not able to confirm which address I have to send the letter to. Am still in NJ and will be moving to CAnada in a few weeks. Could someone let me know which is the right address to which I need to send this DO-11 form to?

Umarama29

Jun 26, 2020
Hi All,

I have filled the DO-11 form but not able to confirm which address I have to send the letter to. Am still in NJ and will be moving to CAnada in a few weeks. Could someone let me know which is the right address to which I need to send this DO-11 form to?
Hi, In case if you are still in NJ, try to visit the nearest DMV with your DO11 form and get the abstract. In case if you wish to post it then send it to the address present on the left top corner of the DO11 form. I sent recently from Canada and got the required details back.

deena.passion

Apr 12, 2021
For those who are trying to convert NewJersey driver license to Canadian license, here are some of my learnings. Along with your NJ license, you need some reports from NJMVC to get a Canadian license. Here are some learnings..
1. You need to submit 2 forms to NJMVC. The DO-21(for abstract history) and DO-11 (for start date evidence). Both these are mandatory. It is better to mail these forms along with a check or money order ($15). DO-21 has online feature but of late,the online system for DO-21 has some issues and the BEST OPTION IS TO MAIL THESE FORMS TO NJMVC.
2. After the form reaches NJMVC, it will take approximately 7 to 10 business days for you to get the reports in your mailbox.
4. Try to call them once you know that your forms have been received by NJMVC
5. If you are in USA, include your US address in Section A of your DO-11 and DO-21 forms and if you are in Canada, include your Canadian address. The NJMVC is sending these mails to Canada too.
6. Section B in both DO-11 and DO-21 forms need to carry your New Jersey address (as per the license records)
7. For every license renewal, a separate DO-11 form must be submitted. Example- If you had 4 licenses, 4 DO-11 forms are needed and 4 different checks or money orders are needed.There are 4 checkboxes in Section A of DO-11 and you need to choose one checkbox for each form.For the very first license you had from New Jersey, choose the checkbox "ISSUE DATE OF DRIVER". For the rest of renewals, choose the checkbox "COPY OF DRIVER LICENSE APPLICATION".
8. There is a section called " Date you want covered". The start date of your license must be filled in. If you have forgotten the start date in your license records, you can leave it blank and just fill the month. In the worst case where you have forgotten the month, just fill the year and call NJMVC after your application reaches them and tell them that you have forgotten the dates and hence left it blank. They should be able to retrieve your records.
9. MORE IMPORTANTLY, if you have the mail forward service for your NJ address, keep in mind that govt mails do not get delivered to forwarded such address. Hence add a valid US address or a Canadian address in Section A of both the DO-11 and DO-21 forms.