+1(514) 937-9445 or Toll-free (Canada & US) +1 (888) 947-9445

Ontario Driver's License Exchange with a NJ Driver's License

jikkumohan

Jul 2, 2021
I am yet to make the move to Canada. However I followed all the steps suggested by Deena.passion and I received all the documents from NJ DMV with no issues. Hope that helps.

Akki99

Jul 22, 2020
Hi All,

First I would like to say thank you all for sharing information and helping others.

• I am filling DO-11 form, I see only three options under the records requested section, can someone please guide me what should I choose first license and renewals. Looks like the DO-11 form has been changed recently. Shall choose option 1 for both first license and renewals.
  1. Copy of Driver License Application (Includes issue date of driver license and name and address of driver; some information is purged, as required by law. MVC will give oldest available)
  2. Name and Address of Driver
  3. Address History of Driver
https://www.state.nj.us/mvc/pdf/license/DO-11.pdf

• Also, what should I fill in the Your File or Claim # field ?
  • can I exchange the recently expired license as well in Ontario or it has to be unexpired? My NJ license will expire on 2/15/2022 and I am planning to move to Toronto first week of February 2022 so if just in case I am not able to exchange before expiry, will I be able to exchange post-NJ license expiry

Thank you in advance.

dora115

Star Member
Jul 7, 2017
Hi All,

First I would like to say thank you all for sharing information and helping others.

• I am filling DO-11 form, I see only three options under the records requested section, can someone please guide me what should I choose first license and renewals. Looks like the DO-11 form has been changed recently. Shall choose option 1 for both first license and renewals.
  1. Copy of Driver License Application (Includes issue date of driver license and name and address of driver; some information is purged, as required by law. MVC will give oldest available)

• can I exchange the recently expired license as well in Ontario or it has to be unexpired? My NJ license will expire on 2/15/2022 and I am planning to move to Toronto first week of February 2022 so if just in case I am not able to exchange before expiry, will I be able to exchange post-NJ license expiry

Thank you in advance.
This form has changed a little bit since I last submitted it in August.
I needed issue date of first license to get better insurance rate here.

I selected issue date of driver option for my first license but I just got the copy of driver license application, so I think they just removed the redundant option as all they give is copy of driver application with a transaction record containing issue and expiry date.

you can choose option 1 for both first license and renewals.
You can leave the file or Claim # field blank.

I'm not sure if you can exchange the NJ license after expiry.

bluehorse

Dec 1, 2017
USA
Category........
PNP
Visa Office......
CIO - Sydney, NS
NOC Code......
App. Filed.......
26-01-2021
AOR Received.
06-07-2021
Passport Req..
17-01-2022
LANDED..........
27-04-2022
Hi All,

Thank you in advance.
I actually placed an order for a DO-21 form using this online tool: https://emvc.state.nj.us//MVC_DVRAR/AVSStart.jsp for which they charge $15. Do I need to obtain DO-11 as well ? Can DO-11 be ordered online ?

bluehorse

Dec 1, 2017
USA
Category........
PNP
Visa Office......
CIO - Sydney, NS
NOC Code......
App. Filed.......
26-01-2021
AOR Received.
06-07-2021
Passport Req..
17-01-2022
LANDED..........
27-04-2022
For those who are trying to convert NewJersey driver license to Canadian license, here are some of my learnings. Along with your NJ license, you need some reports from NJMVC to get a Canadian license. Here are some learnings..
1. You need to submit 2 forms to NJMVC. The DO-21(for abstract history) and DO-11 (for start date evidence). Both these are mandatory. It is better to mail these forms along with a check or money order ($15). DO-21 has online feature but of late,the online system for DO-21 has some issues and the BEST OPTION IS TO MAIL THESE FORMS TO NJMVC.
2. After the form reaches NJMVC, it will take approximately 7 to 10 business days for you to get the reports in your mailbox.
4. Try to call them once you know that your forms have been received by NJMVC
5. If you are in USA, include your US address in Section A of your DO-11 and DO-21 forms and if you are in Canada, include your Canadian address. The NJMVC is sending these mails to Canada too.
6. Section B in both DO-11 and DO-21 forms need to carry your New Jersey address (as per the license records)
7. For every license renewal, a separate DO-11 form must be submitted. Example- If you had 4 licenses, 4 DO-11 forms are needed and 4 different checks or money orders are needed.There are 4 checkboxes in Section A of DO-11 and you need to choose one checkbox for each form.For the very first license you had from New Jersey, choose the checkbox "ISSUE DATE OF DRIVER". For the rest of renewals, choose the checkbox "COPY OF DRIVER LICENSE APPLICATION".
8. There is a section called " Date you want covered". The start date of your license must be filled in. If you have forgotten the start date in your license records, you can leave it blank and just fill the month. In the worst case where you have forgotten the month, just fill the year and call NJMVC after your application reaches them and tell them that you have forgotten the dates and hence left it blank. They should be able to retrieve your records.
9. MORE IMPORTANTLY, if you have the mail forward service for your NJ address, keep in mind that govt mails do not get delivered to forwarded such address. Hence add a valid US address or a Canadian address in Section A of both the DO-11 and DO-21 forms.
That was wonderful ! I was looking for this only.

One follow up question which I had is related to point #7: Do we need to submit DO-11 for the current and active NJ license as well ? Appreciate if anyone can clarify .. Thank you!

May 24, 2022
Hello,

I am having the same issue with abstract not accepted for license transfer. I am planning to fill the DO 11 form and send it the DMV. I called the DMV line and I was told they need US money order or cheque. Can some one help me if we will be able to get US money order in Toronto.

Do we have any other options rather than US money order or Cheque.

Thanks,
Rahul

saisharan92

Oct 23, 2020
For those who are trying to convert NewJersey driver license to Canadian license, here are some of my learnings. Along with your NJ license, you need some reports from NJMVC to get a Canadian license. Here are some learnings..
1. You need to submit 2 forms to NJMVC. The DO-21(for abstract history) and DO-11 (for start date evidence). Both these are mandatory. It is better to mail these forms along with a check or money order ($15). DO-21 has online feature but of late,the online system for DO-21 has some issues and the BEST OPTION IS TO MAIL THESE FORMS TO NJMVC.
2. After the form reaches NJMVC, it will take approximately 7 to 10 business days for you to get the reports in your mailbox.
4. Try to call them once you know that your forms have been received by NJMVC
5. If you are in USA, include your US address in Section A of your DO-11 and DO-21 forms and if you are in Canada, include your Canadian address. The NJMVC is sending these mails to Canada too.
6. Section B in both DO-11 and DO-21 forms need to carry your New Jersey address (as per the license records)
7. For every license renewal, a separate DO-11 form must be submitted. Example- If you had 4 licenses, 4 DO-11 forms are needed and 4 different checks or money orders are needed.There are 4 checkboxes in Section A of DO-11 and you need to choose one checkbox for each form.For the very first license you had from New Jersey, choose the checkbox "ISSUE DATE OF DRIVER". For the rest of renewals, choose the checkbox "COPY OF DRIVER LICENSE APPLICATION".
8. There is a section called " Date you want covered". The start date of your license must be filled in. If you have forgotten the start date in your license records, you can leave it blank and just fill the month. In the worst case where you have forgotten the month, just fill the year and call NJMVC after your application reaches them and tell them that you have forgotten the dates and hence left it blank. They should be able to retrieve your records.
9. MORE IMPORTANTLY, if you have the mail forward service for your NJ address, keep in mind that govt mails do not get delivered to forwarded such address. Hence add a valid US address or a Canadian address in Section A of both the DO-11 and DO-21 forms.
Hi, just a query regarding the applicant type question in the form - should we select "Individual/Business" or "Government/Law Enforcement Entity"? Appreciate the help!