+1(514) 937-9445 or Toll-free (Canada & US) +1 (888) 947-9445

Ontario Driver's License Exchange with a NJ Driver's License

Kaup

Sep 6, 2014
Hi manor - I recently moved from NJ. What form did Trenton office ask you to submit? DO-11 ?

sonia6285

Apr 14, 2014
I first got my Driver abstract from NJ but that didn't work in Drive Test here since it didn't have the first issue date. So i called DMV and ordered another document called Driver License Application History. This has my original application copy with my first issue and my first expiry date of license and on another page it has the final date of my expiry after renewals. When i took it to DriveTest in Ontario, they accepted the same and gave me a full G Driver License for 4 years. Order Driver License Application History which is form DO-11. That will work for you. If you are still in NJ, you can go to Trenton and they will give you the documents in person. If you order by mail it will take 3-4 weeks. we had to order it from Canada, and it took us 4 weeks to come at our Canada address.

bobsaget

Sep 18, 2014
I have a more messed up situation. I have had a texas driver's license for a year and a half, and prior to that had an NJ one for 8 years.
When I got the Texas license, I had to surrender my New Jersey one (which is noted on my Texas driver's abstract).
Drivetest is saying that I need my New Jersey license as well, which is obviously impossible to get.

Has anyone dealt with this situation in the past? Will I have better luck at ServiceOntario than at DriveTest? I don't understand why they make things so difficult. Also while I don't have the issue date on my NJ abstract, there is evidence of a speeding ticket from 2004 but somehow to them that isn't evidence that I have had a license since at least that date.
If all fails I will just wait 6 months until my Texas abstract meets their 2 years criteria, I am not going to subject myself to a graduated license

Mariac819

Feb 29, 2012
New York USA
Category........
Visa Office......
Ottawa
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
Sept. 10, 2014
Doc's Request.
May 06, 2015 - they lost my relationship proof and FBI clearance. They will accept copy of FBI, I sent in more relationship proof.
AOR Received.
Oct. 23, 2014 (By Phone)
File Transfer...
Oct. 28, 2014 (SA)
Med's Request
Upfront
Med's Done....
July 25, 2014
Interview........
waived
Passport Req..
none
VISA ISSUED...
DM - June 23, 2015 COPR June 24, 2015
LANDED..........
July 12, 2015
This is odd because i just ordered my NY driving abstract and it says my first license was issued 12 years ago. I don't see how NJ would be any different since we are neighbors.

Eagle13

Jul 29, 2015
Hi all

I hope someone would help me out, I moved from NJ 2 months ago and wanted to exchange my DL in Ontario. First Ontario DMV told me to get Driver Abstract from NJ, I got it, but it only shows last 5 years(not showing the issuance date), and then I called DMV, explained the issue and then they told me the only paper shows the issuing date is driver license application form, and I applied for that as well, waited 4 weeks and I received it today. Guess what!! it shows the date as issue date that I last renewed my DL which is 1 year ago. I called DMV to ask some kind of letter shows the first issued date, but they told me that they do not issue letter for that. So I desperately need help from you, what should I do? I read everything everything here, maybe I am calling the wrong number for DMV Trenton headquarter, would you please share the phone number that you called and got the letter? or any other recommendation ?

keesio

VIP Member
May 16, 2012
Toronto, Ontario
Category........
Visa Office......
CPP-O
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
09-01-2013
Doc's Request.
09-07-2013
AOR Received.
30-01-2013
File Transfer...
11-02-2013
Med's Done....
02-01-2013
Interview........
waived
Passport Req..
12-07-2013
VISA ISSUED...
15-08-2013
LANDED..........
14-10-2013
Mariac819 said:
This is odd because i just ordered my NY driving abstract and it says my first license was issued 12 years ago. I don't see how NJ would be any different since we are neighbors.
Maria - I'm looking at my NY driving abstract from 2013 and I don't see a field that says when my first license was issued. But i do see some dates for various "CLASS CHANGE". The first date looks like the date I got my first license. Is that what you are referring to?

FSW_Applicant

Aug 29, 2014
Category........
Visa Office......
CPC-Ottawa
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
03-Oct-2014
LANDED..........
17-Sep-2015
This is not good. I'm in NJ and am planning to land in 2 months. I renewed my license 3 months ago. Given the scenario that you mentioned, I will be in trouble when I go to exchange my license. My first license in NJ was from 2008, then I moved to FL in 2009 and back to NJ in 2010.

Please keep us posted if your situation is resolved.

Eagle13 said:
Hi all

I hope someone would help me out, I moved from NJ 2 months ago and wanted to exchange my DL in Ontario. First Ontario DMV told me to get Driver Abstract from NJ, I got it, but it only shows last 5 years(not showing the issuance date), and then I called DMV, explained the issue and then they told me the only paper shows the issuing date is driver license application form, and I applied for that as well, waited 4 weeks and I received it today. Guess what!! it shows the date as issue date that I last renewed my DL which is 1 year ago. I called DMV to ask some kind of letter shows the first issued date, but they told me that they do not issue letter for that. So I desperately need help from you, what should I do? I read everything everything here, maybe I am calling the wrong number for DMV Trenton headquarter, would you please share the phone number that you called and got the letter? or any other recommendation ?

FSW_Applicant

Aug 29, 2014
Category........
Visa Office......
CPC-Ottawa
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
03-Oct-2014
LANDED..........
17-Sep-2015
I visited my local NJ DMV this weekend and got my driver's abstract. You are correct, there is no issue date. Can the event dates not be used as evidence for history or are they specifically requesting a field that says "Issue date"?

I have also requested my FL driver's abstract but am not sure if that will have any information as I believe they purge their records for inactivity in 18 months.

I will now have to contact Trenton for the DO-11 report and hope that will suffice.

Eagle13: Have you had any success with your situation?

sriram.vsg

Dec 10, 2014
Hi Guys,

This info has been helpful so far. I had a michigan license for about 7 years which i have submitted to NJDMV to get a NJ license 6 months before.

I plan on to move to canada with in few months. So does my abstract or license application history show my Michigan records too or should i place a seperate request to Michigan SOS too?

Any thoughts? Please....

~Sri

FSW_Applicant

Aug 29, 2014
Category........
Visa Office......
CPC-Ottawa
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
03-Oct-2014
LANDED..........
17-Sep-2015
Please apply for an abstract from MI too. My NJ abstract does not have my FL history.

sriram.vsg said:
Hi Guys,

This info has been helpful so far. I had a michigan license for about 7 years which i have submitted to NJDMV to get a NJ license 6 months before.

I plan on to move to canada with in few months. So does my abstract or license application history show my Michigan records too or should i place a seperate request to Michigan SOS too?

Any thoughts? Please....

~Sri

kapil_takeit_easy

Jul 15, 2016
rao_manoj2004 said:
- The 5 year extract you get from DMV is not good . Still get it as it will help in showing that you driving record, but not good in other area where you have show when you first got your license.
- I called trenton DMV headquater and they sent me a form. I filled the form and sent it to their trenton office. Within few days the sent the document which shows the date when I first time got the liecense.
- Presented this letter to ontario license office and immediately got G license.

Note: it is also good if you take expired NJ licenses with you.
I am running into similar problem and wanting to exchange Ontario license for NJ license. Hoping you could help.

with regards to filling up DO-11 form
a) I am guessing I have to check mark on "Copy of driver License application ?
b) Date you want covered section - should I Put the ORIGINAL issue date here ?
c) in the Address section (under NJ Drive license) section - should it be Canada address or NJ address (address on file in NJ DMV) ?
d) the NUMBER OF appropriate USE from page 2 - what # woud be applicable for the Ontario exchange license ?

Can someone please confirm these details ?

sonia6285

Apr 14, 2014
a) Yes you have to check "Copy of driver License application ?
b) Date you want covered section - did not put anything here.
c) Address - i put Canada address and it was mailed to Canada. The first record i got didn't have any info (Driver Abstract) and i had already moved to Canada. So when i put the Canadian address, they mailed it here. I called them after 1 week of applying just to make sure it was mailed to Canada. you should keep a copy of the check number you send for $15 along with this. with the check number they can tell when was it mailed.
d) marked 1 and put the reason why i need - exchanging my NJ DL for the Ontario one since moved to Ontario and the Driver License Agency requires the history of NJ showing name, date of first issued, DOB, class of license, date of expiry and license no.

Hope this is helpful. The document came after 15 days or so.

kapil_takeit_easy

Jul 15, 2016
sonia6285 said:
a) Yes you have to check "Copy of driver License application ?
b) Date you want covered section - did not put anything here.
c) Address - i put Canada address and it was mailed to Canada. The first record i got didn't have any info (Driver Abstract) and i had already moved to Canada. So when i put the Canadian address, they mailed it here. I called them after 1 week of applying just to make sure it was mailed to Canada. you should keep a copy of the check number you send for $15 along with this. with the check number they can tell when was it mailed.
d) marked 1 and put the reason why i need - exchanging my NJ DL for the Ontario one since moved to Ontario and the Driver License Agency requires the history of NJ showing name, date of first issued, DOB, class of license, date of expiry and license no.

Hope this is helpful. The document came after 15 days or so.
Thanks Sonia. Just to be sure there are two sections with address. so the first address in the top section of the form (for requester) - that has to be Canada address and the second section (below NJ dL #) also has to be Canada address? I was wondering if the second has to be NJ address for them to match the information in their file. so can you confirm what you had filled in ?

I spoke to NJ DMV and she said she will post me the form and she could not tell me if it is DO-11 form or somethign else but kept on saying you need "Driver Inquiry abstract" and not "Driver History abstract" (which is what 99% of people carry before mving to Canada). so I guess I need to wait for a week's time to see what form she sent over.

she also asked meto change my addres to Canada address by going online on nj dmv site. but their form does not take foreign address :(. another bummer..

Thanks for taking time to respond though. I totally appreciate it.

sonia6285

Apr 14, 2014
Yes that's correct. The first address in the top section of the form (for requester) - that has to be Canada address and the second section (below NJ dL #) has to be NJ address for them to match the information in their file.

We don't need the "Driver abstract". It doesn't have the info they need. The history has all the requirements. In Canada, they said they need "driver abstract". That's why i ordered it. but it doesn't have all the details. When i went with "driver history", they got all the details they needed.

I didn't change my address on DMV website. Just order at your Canadian address. It should come.

kapil_takeit_easy

Jul 15, 2016
sonia6285 said:
Yes that's correct. The first address in the top section of the form (for requester) - that has to be Canada address and the second section (below NJ dL #) has to be NJ address for them to match the information in their file.

We don't need the "Driver abstract". It doesn't have the info they need. The history has all the requirements. In Canada, they said they need "driver abstract". That's why i ordered it. but it doesn't have all the details. When i went with "driver history", they got all the details they needed.

I didn't change my address on DMV website. Just order at your Canadian address. It should come.
Thanks again. Did you mean when NJ DMV responded to Driver license application form, it has original (first) issue date as well as subsequent renewals? just go off the phone from the Certified Information Unit (NJ DMV electronic unit I guess) and the lady said if you had three renewals you need three forms to be submitted separately. For now, I am putting the exact FIRST issue date on the form (that Ontario insisted) and sending but concerned that if the history of renewals is not there, Ontario DMV will again say there is a gap between original issue date and today's licence that I hold.
Dont blame me for thinking ahead of myself.. I thought I planned pretty well for my move but these govt dept do not make it easy.