+1(514) 937-9445 or Toll-free (Canada & US) +1 (888) 947-9445

Online Temporary Visa - CIC says no visa for minor required????

Octopodes

Sep 1, 2014
Dear Members,

I am married to a Canadian and we live, together with our minor child, in Namibia. Both my daughter and myself are Namibian.
We are planning on visiting my wife's family in Canada and this year I opted with trying the online service.
The problem however, is that according to the questionnaire (following the questions related to applying for a family member) my daughter does not require a visa. I find this hard to believe. Is that possible?

Can anyone help please???

PMM

VIP Member
Jun 30, 2005
Hi

Octopodes said:
Dear Members,

I am married to a Canadian and we live, together with our minor child, in Namibia. Both my daughter and myself are Namibian.
We are planning on visiting my wife's family in Canada and this year I opted with trying the online service.
The problem however, is that according to the questionnaire (following the questions related to applying for a family member) my daughter does not require a visa. I find this hard to believe. Is that possible?

Can anyone help please???
1. If your husband is a Canadian by birth or naturalization, then your daughter is a Canadian citizen as well. You have to apply for proof of citizenship : http://www.cic.gc.ca/english/citizenship/proof-how.asp
2. If the child is under 2 you can apply for a limited validity Canadian passport, or if over 2 a facilitation visa while the proof of citizenship is processing.

Octopodes

Sep 1, 2014
Thank you for your response.

My wife is a Canadian by naturalization (I am Namibian). Unfortunately my daughter does not qualify for Canadian citizenship due to a new law implemented in 2009. We know because our application was not successful (A shame though considering my wife's mom is a born Canadian)

However, it therefore still does not answer my question on whether my daughter requires a visa or not. What will happen when we arrive at the airport and my daughter has no visa, I have my visa and my wife has her Canadian passport? (We are all traveling together)

PMM

VIP Member
Jun 30, 2005
Hi

Octopodes said:
Thank you for your response.

My wife is a Canadian by naturalization (I am Namibian). Unfortunately my daughter does not qualify for Canadian citizenship due to a new law implemented in 2009. We know because our application was not successful (A shame though considering my wife's mom is a born Canadian)

However, it therefore still does not answer my question on whether my daughter requires a visa or not. What will happen when we arrive at the airport and my daughter has no visa, I have my visa and my wife has her Canadian passport? (We are all traveling together)
So the daughter is a 2nd generation born abroad after April/09, so she needs a visitor visa. So they won't letter her board the plane.