+1(514) 937-9445 or Toll-free (Canada & US) +1 (888) 947-9445

Online SIN application from abroad

Canadiandreaming

Jul 12, 2020
Hi,

Is it possible to get the SIN using a UK address? I can't see anywhere online where it says that I must have a Canadian address and I will not arrive until a week before my new job is starting! (they are starting me as work from home during my second quarantine week).

I've looked at the online application and it asks if I'm currently residing in Canada. It also asks for the country in the address section. So I'm wondering why it would allow all of this to be input if it is not allowed?

Thanks

Canadiandreaming

Jul 12, 2020
Any thoughts?

I've read through the online application guide:

https://www.canada.ca/en/employment-social-development/services/sin/applicants-guide.html

It does not say anywhere that I cannot apply from outside Canada, and does not say that a Canadian proof of address is needed. More to the point, I cannot think of any reason why it would not be permitted. That said, there is a separate part of the SIN website where it says application by mail if a person is outside Canada. It is hard to tell though whether this is from the pre-online application regime. Again, nowhere does it state that you cannot apply online from outside Canada. That said, I don't want to waste time on an abortive application now if that could cause delays later.

I've tried calling them many times and the message just says they have high call volumes and the call ends.

Any thoughts?

canuckinla

Jun 25, 2019
Los Angeles, CA
Category........
FAM
App. Filed.......
10-07-2019
AOR Received.
05-09-2019
Med's Request
02-10-2019
Interview........
N/A
VISA ISSUED...
02-12-2019
LANDED..........
17-12-2019
It is possible to apply for SIN online using a foreign address. You will need to provide proof of your foreign address.

Reactions: Canadiandreaming

Canadiandreaming

Jul 12, 2020
It is possible to apply for SIN online using a foreign address. You will need to provide proof of your foreign address.
Thanks for the response.

I guess the risk though is that, being to a foreign address, the letter will take longer to arrive and my new job starts in about 20 working days time! So if the SIN hasn't arrived by then... I'm guessing it isn't something they'd tell me over the phone?

johnny1186

Jul 8, 2020
Yes you could, indeed I got the SIN number for my son when we were in Hong Kong. That said, as the above poster says, there is a huge risk involved because you will need to send out some original ID documents to them. (in my case, i need to mail them our citizen cards). It took them 4 months to
send us back the stuffs, so it may not be that sensible to do it overseas.