+1(514) 937-9445 or Toll-free (Canada & US) +1 (888) 947-9445

Online citizenship test

andrews.juchem

Star Member
Oct 16, 2020
I was (and still am) in Canada so I've already taken the test. @Nevine.Kassem took the test abroad and the test results were validated successfully.

I would recommend sending an email like this :

"Hello, I am currently outside Canada and I have received a test invitation. I know several applicants have taken the test overseas - Could you please permit me to take the test outside Canada as well? Thank you."

Do NOT say something like this :

"Hello, I'm currently outside Canada and I have received a test invitation. Could you please advise what needs to be done?"
Thank you. I've just sent them an email. Let's see what they have to say.

Reactions: rajkamalmohanram

Fae7

Oct 18, 2016
I see. Yes, unfortunately, they don't give us a lot of information. I will send an email to the Calgary office and ask if I can take it from overseas. Have you already asked your office if you can do it?
Could you please let me know if they tell you you can take the test from outside Canada. I’m from Calgary too! Thank you

Reactions: andrews.juchem

andrews.juchem

Star Member
Oct 16, 2020
Could you please let me know if they tell you you can take the test from outside Canada. I’m from Calgary too! Thank you
For sure. I will post here when I get a response. The last time I sent them an email, they replied on the same day. Hopefully, it will be quick again.

rajkamalmohanram

VIP Member
Apr 29, 2015
IRCC has finally officially announced about taking tests outside Canada

https://www.canada.ca/en/immigration-refugees-citizenship/services/canadian-citizenship/become-canadian-citizen/citizenship-test/tutorial.html

If you’re outside of Canada
If you get your invitation and plan to take the test while you’re outside Canada, send an email to the address in the Eligibility section of your invitation.

In your email

• put “Outside Canada – Citizenship Test” in the subject line
  • in the body of your message, include
    • your full name
    • your application number
    • the start and end date for your test
We’ll contact you with your next steps after we receive your email.
Since you can't automatically take the test outside Canada and you'll have to request permission from IRCC by sending an email, some applicants might not be allowed to take the test from outside Canada if IRCC responds negatively. That's my take on this.

andrews.juchem

Star Member
Oct 16, 2020
IRCC has finally officially announced about taking tests outside Canada

Since you can't automatically take the test outside Canada and you'll have to request permission from IRCC by sending an email, some applicants might not be allowed to take the test from outside Canada if IRCC responds negatively. That's my take on this.
That's great news. Thanks for sharing it.

Since I sent an email to the Calgary office yesterday, I will await their response. In the email, I basically asked them if I could take the test from outside of Canada and that I've heard about people that were allowed. The only thing is that the title of my message was not "Outside Canada – Citizenship Test" as suggested, but I think that's okay. If they deny my request, I'll send another email pointing out this link.

Or do you think I should send a new message again?

Reactions: rajkamalmohanram

rajkamalmohanram

VIP Member
Apr 29, 2015
That's great news. Thanks for sharing it.

Since I sent an email to the Calgary office yesterday, I will await their response. In the email, I basically asked them if I could take the test from outside of Canada and that I've heard about people that were allowed. The only thing is that the title of my message was not "Outside Canada – Citizenship Test" as suggested, but I think that's okay. If they deny my request, I'll send another email pointing out this link.

Or do you think I should send a new message again?
Wait for the response. If they respond negatively, you can post this link and request them to permit you to take the test overseas.

andrews.juchem

Star Member
Oct 16, 2020
Did they announce about interview and oath too ?
The section about the Oath Ceremony was also updated with the same rule. If you are outside of Canada, you need to send them an email and explain the situation. However, for the Oath, it sounds like their acceptance will depend on your explanation, while the Citizenship Test section says that you can take the test from abroad if you wish to do so, even if you don't have a valid explanation (they basically don't ask about an explanation). The link is the following: https://www.canada.ca/en/immigration-refugees-citizenship/services/coronavirus-covid19/citizenship.html#oath

This is what the Citizenship Test section says:
If you get your invitation and plan to take the test while you’re outside Canada, send an email to the address in the Eligibility section of your invitation.

In your email

• your full name

This is what the Oath section says:
You need to be in Canada to take the Oath of Citizenship. If you get your invitation while you’re outside Canada, reply to the invitation email to explain your situation in detail.

In your email

• put “Outside Canada – Oath of Citizenship” in the subject line
  • In the body of your message, include
    • your full name
    • a detailed explanation of your situation

Fae7: By the way, I suppose you will be sending an email to the Calgary office as well. Please let me know if you hear back from them. I'm still waiting a response from my yesterday's email.

• Love
Reactions: harirajmohan

Fae7

Oct 18, 2016
The section about the Oath Ceremony was also updated with the same rule. If you are outside of Canada, you need to send them an email and explain the situation. However, for the Oath, it sounds like their acceptance will depend on your explanation, while the Citizenship Test section says that you can take the test from abroad if you wish to do so, even if you don't have a valid explanation (they basically don't ask about an explanation). The link is the following: https://www.canada.ca/en/immigration-refugees-citizenship/services/coronavirus-covid19/citizenship.html#oath

This is what the Citizenship Test section says:

In your email
    • your full name

This is what the Oath section says:
You need to be in Canada to take the Oath of Citizenship. If you get your invitation while you’re outside Canada, reply to the invitation email to explain your situation in detail.

In your email
  • put “Outside Canada – Oath of Citizenship” in the subject line
  • In the body of your message, include
    • your full name
    • a detailed explanation of your situation

Fae7: By the way, I suppose you will be sending an email to the Calgary office as well. Please let me know if you hear back from them. I'm still waiting a response from my yesterday's email.
Thank you , I haven’t received my invite yet so I’m not able to send them an email yet !!

sandyhere12

Apr 9, 2019
Just finished my citizentest, it was super easy and I got 20/20. The whole test only took me 5 mintues,

However, during the test, I somehow noticed that there are unclosed tabs in my browser. For whatever stupid reasons, I decided to close the tabs, which made me switch to another tab for around 3 seconds and after coming back to the test page I saw a warning box.

Not sure whether they are going to treat this as potential cheating or not.. I hope the worst case I will get is to retake the exam and they won't reject my application... should I write them an email to explain this?
Hi, I am preparing for the test but looks like its too much to read. How did you prepare and can you say if you got the same questions as the sample practice papers online. Also please can you guide me to a link or website apart from the Discover Canada PDF which was more useful. Thank You :)

rajkamalmohanram

VIP Member
Apr 29, 2015
Hi, I am preparing for the test but looks like its too much to read. How did you prepare and can you say if you got the same questions as the sample practice papers online. Also please can you guide me to a link or website apart from the Discover Canada PDF which was more useful. Thank You :)
Discover Canada is the main resource. Read the entire book at least once.

In addition to that, prepare using the following:

Notes from Discover Canada and Sample tests.

smgn

Dec 7, 2017
Calgary
Thanks, will definitely give an update after hearing from the immigration office
I'm in the same boat with you. Even though I didn't switch between tabs or windows, I got a popup message about suspected switching. I suspect it happened because of some brief network interruption. Waiting for the test results since Tuesday.

KirDar

Jul 16, 2021
Hey guys, just passed my test (19/20) but my phone which was on the desk next to my laptop rang during the test (accidentally left it not on silent) I quickly switched the sound off, literally a second. Will I have to retake the test? =/

Reactions: varlam

rajkamalmohanram

VIP Member
Apr 29, 2015
Hey guys, just passed my test (19/20) but my phone which was on the desk next to my laptop rang during the test (accidentally left it not on silent) I quickly switched the sound off, literally a second. Will I have to retake the test? =/
No audio or video is recorded during the test. Photos are taken at random times during the test to assess if the applicant left the room or is looking at something else. Hopefully, if you did it quick enough, you should be fine IMO.