+1(514) 937-9445 or Toll-free (Canada & US) +1 (888) 947-9445

Online citizenship test

Naush4

Star Member
Nov 16, 2020
Clarification on this as it is partially correct - the interview is optional, but on the matter of age, not at their discretion as it appears to in that excerpt you put there.

Following through that URL on the interview section shows that they still expect you to give an interview if you're between 18 and 54 years of age.

Your age and situationTake the testGo to the interview
Adult 18 to 54 years of ageYesYes
Adult 55 and overNoYes
Minor under 18 with a Canadian parent or a parent applying at the same timeNoNo, except in some casesTable footnote*
Minor 14 to 17 without a Canadian parent or a parent applying at the same timeNoYes
Minor under 14 without a Canadian parent or a parent applying at the same timeNoNo, except in some casesTable footnote*

So for the majority of people applying (except for folks over 55), that interview is still going to happen.
Even adults 55 and over have to appear for an interview.

Reactions: siddharthbala

AshesNdust

Jan 4, 2015
Gotta wonder how they prove that though. IP Address? Can be countered with a VPN.

I guess it'll be funny if they say show me the view outside your window or something. :p
They’ll probably use the same type of security software that some online streaming services like Netflix use do detect VPN usage and force people to disable them. They’ll probably block DNS software as well.

siddharthbala

Jan 12, 2016
Mississauga
Visa Office......
CPC-Ottawa
NOC Code......
App. Filed.......
08-07-2016
Doc's Request.
28-12-2016
AOR Received.
10-12-2016
Med's Request
06-12-2016
Med's Done....
14-12-2016
Interview........
N/A
Passport Req..
12-04-2017
VISA ISSUED...
28-04-2017
LANDED..........
14-09-2017
They’ll probably use the same type of security software that some online streaming services like Netflix use do detect VPN usage and force people to disable them. They’ll probably block DNS software as well.
Something tells me that if they ran something that intrusive (if at all they even go to that level of sophistication), the test wouldn't work for half the people out there :D By the looks of it, they appear to be deploying a cookie-cutter mass-market testing solution (wouldn't be surprised if Pearson, ETS or some known testing service was working with them and that the RFI we saw earlier this year was part of that), which has all the features that @BOYX mentioned in his post:

Yeah it seems like an easy workaround for it. I wonder why the rule even exists - especially given how much thought they have put into the exam.

Some examples of the thought they have put in are the following: the grid vs list view, the marking an uncertain question, not being allowed to mark it uncertain if you haven't answered the question (to avoid mistakingly missing to answer a question), automatically submitting all your answers when time runs out and even the instant score upon submission.

I can't wrap my head around why one needs to be in Canada for the test - and how they expected to even enforce such a rule.
By default, none of these testing solutions come with any sort of IP/Geolocation tracker metric built-in outside of very basic trackers that can be fooled with a VPN (I used to work in this sector and like Deepa, worked in the eLearning field as well). I'm probably overthinking this, but I strongly suspect that all they'll need to 'verify' (massive, massive air quotes) from the testing side of things is an intro 'wall of checkboxes' that basically goes 'Do you agree to the ToS and conditions for this test' (which 99.9% of people will never read anyway), and one of those checkboxes is going to be 'I certify that I am taking this test in Canada and I promise that I am solemnly not up to no good.' :p

Just read through all the documentation that IRCC has made available on their website for online testing.

Yes, it took them a while to develop and implement the solution but I am impressed. Perhaps it is because of my experience in developing adult eLearning content which makes me appreciate it.

Yes, people are frustrated. It may be a slow rollout as they'll be closely watching how it plays out, but to me, it looks like this is a robust solution. I can totally see them dropping in-person testing even after the pandemic ends, and just keep it for second attempts or people with special needs (just my guess).
I 100% agree, being from a similar background in my home country as well. Should help streamline the process a little bit (even if it means we have to do those face-to-face interviews) but at least it means that when things go back to normal, the process going into the final interview is actually relatively straightforward and mostly automated. At least people can calm down.....until the line up builds for the interview. ;)

chs

Sep 14, 2019
Quebec
I'll be candid - I've worked for a multitude of companies over the years, ranging from startups to Fortune 25 Financial Firms. To pull off essentially what is a complete upheaval of process and create, from scratch, processes and procedures, architecture, testing, vetting and finally rolling out a new test-taking system and with an updated website in 8 months, AND, on top of all that, for a Governmental agency? That's unheard of and is probably the closest thing you'll ever see to true magic happening on Earth. Whoever quarterbacked that project deserves kudos. I, for one, will be happy to get my invite. Honestly, I salute them; that's just freaking nuts.

Last edited:

crystalchang

May 22, 2019
Hi everyone, got online test invite today and have 21 days to complete the test (Dec 1st - 21st). It is a great news and I appreciate it, but THE PROBLEM is I'm still in Alaska with my partner now, and I was not planning to go back to Canada till June 2021. Not sure what I should do now.
I could 1). go back to Canada in a rush and complete the online test. However I'd have to wait until I finally get the Canadian passport to be able to see my partner in US again, no idea how long it gonna take. I also don't have a place to live in Canada at this moment. (my partner is not Canadian so he can't come with me).
2). give up on this online test and wait until in-person test resumes. However no idea when that will be either :( Still have to fly back to Canada on short notice when that happens.
Any suggestions or insights on what's a better option? I really appreciate it!

Reactions: michaesong

Rie11

Sep 9, 2020
Hi everyone, got online test invite today and have 21 days to complete the test (Dec 1st - 21st). It is a great news and I appreciate it, but THE PROBLEM is I'm still in Alaska with my partner now, and I was not planning to go back to Canada till June 2021. Not sure what I should do now.
I could 1). go back to Canada in a rush and complete the online test. However I'd have to wait until I finally get the Canadian passport to be able to see my partner in US again, no idea how long it gonna take. I also don't have a place to live in Canada at this moment. (my partner is not Canadian so he can't come with me).
2). give up on this online test and wait until in-person test resumes. However no idea when that will be either :( Still have to fly back to Canada on short notice when that happens.
I think you have two options: A. Go back to Canada, take the test, and go back to Alaska but then you have to be prepared to come back on a short notice for an interview and oath a few months later. B. Write a letter that explains your situation and ask them to put your file on hold until June, 2021.

Don't ask for in-person test since it might a year or more until those.

I am in the similar situation as you. That is I am away from Canada until July 2021 but I haven't received the test invite yet. When I do (if I do), I plan to write a letter explaining my personal circumstances. They must understand that the situation is extraordinary with COVID and everything, and it is not like we are cheating on them. I think asking to put your file on hold is reasonable but of course it all depends on your personal circumstances. In my case, I have a family member outside of Canada who needs my support.

BOYX

May 5, 2017
Toronto, ON
I'll be candid - I've worked for a multitude of companies over the years, ranging from startups to Fortune 25 Financial Firms. To pull off essentially what is a complete upheaval of process and create, from scratch, processes and procedures, architecture, testing, vetting and finally rolling out a new test-taking system and with an updated website in 8 months, AND, on top of all that, for a Governmental agency? That's unheard of and is probably the closest thing you'll ever see to true magic happening on Earth. Whoever quarterbacked that project deserves kudos. I, for one, will be happy to get my invite, even though it looks super-close to the test software that we used when I taught online classes at a local uni here. Honestly, I salute them; that's just freaking nuts.
By the way, it took them more than 8 months. The minister said himself before in an interview that they were coincidentally already working on it.

• Wow
Reactions: Tess90

Canada4ever89

Oct 24, 2020
My 2 cents, fly and do the test, stay in hotel for few days. I would not risk it. Off course you know your situation better. But I won’t risk it. Boarders will reopen soon anyway can’t remain closed forever

• Haha
Reactions: Tess90 and solo30

chs

Sep 14, 2019
Quebec
Thank you for your suggestion! I appreciate it
"Me too"ing on fly in for a day or two, take the test and jet back out - don't chance being caught out doing something stupid. Canada, if memory serves, is one of the countries that can revoke citizenship post fact if they determine that you obtained it fraudulently. Smarter people than I can opine on the legality of it, but I wouldn't risk something as precious as citizenship after so much time and effort just to save a few hundred bucks. That's just me, though - your situation is unique to you, so you'll ultimately need to decide if the risk is worth the cost (or savings.)

harirajmohan

VIP Member
Mar 3, 2015
Category........
Visa Office......
Sydney, NS
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
29-May-2015
Doc's Request.
30-Dec-2015 ReminderEmail(PCCs, NewPassport via cse 31-Dec-2015)
Nomination.....
SK 22-Apr-2015
AOR Received.
11-Aug-2015
Med's Request
23-Dec-2015
Med's Done....
20-Jan-2016
Passport Req..
26-May-2016 (BGC In Progress 25-May-2016)
VISA ISSUED...
PP Reached Ottawa:27-May-2016, Received:10-Jun-2016
LANDED..........
PR: 09-Jul-2016, PR Card: 17-Aug-2016
I wonder why you say that you cant get back to US. Are you not having valid I94 which you can use it for reentering US even if you dont have valid visa?
Cant you hit nearby land border of Canada and attend the test and drive back?
If you are working there then you can get back to US without any problem as i do cross the border once in few weeks. No issues.
https://travel.state.gov/content/travel/en/us-visas/visa-information-resources/visa-expiration-date/auto-revalidate.html
https://help.cbp.gov/s/article/Article-1218?language=en_US

Reactions: crystalchang

Pudoo

Oct 19, 2017
Hi, does anyone know if we can take the online test outside of Canada? As we have difficulties to go back to Canada due to this pandemic.

Bs65

VIP Member
Mar 22, 2016
Hi, does anyone know if we can take the online test outside of Canada? As we have difficulties to go back to Canada due to this pandemic.
Think it says specifically can only currently be taken from within Canada and assume they can tell based on IP address

This would be no different if was a F2F test or even eventually the oath although granted COVID is now a challenge guess there is only a degree of flexibility they can provide starting with an online test for those in country as a priority. Who knows once the process settles down maybe they will be more flexible

https://www.canada.ca/en/immigration-refugees-citizenship/services/canadian-citizenship/become-canadian-citizen/citizenship-test/tutorial.html

Last edited:

O'canada

Oct 21, 2020
That is going to be my point as well.
Thought the test is 30 mins but setup and process will go for one hour and mentioned in the email to be prepared for one hour .

I guess it should not be difficult for them
Better to write the tests in Canada only . And be true citizens

Reactions: his*marty