+1(514) 937-9445 or Toll-free (Canada & US) +1 (888) 947-9445

Online citizenship test location requirement

hungkubu

Star Member
Nov 24, 2020
It's generally a 21 day window to complete the test. I was provided about 5 days notice.
Thanks for your confirming, did you mean that the test start date is 5 days after the date you received the test invite and we have 21 days from the test start date to complete the test? Please correct me if I am wrong.

rajkamalmohanram

VIP Member
Apr 29, 2015
Thanks for your confirming, did you mean that the test start date is 5 days after the date you received the test invite and we have 21 days from the test start date to complete the test? Please correct me if I am wrong.
Its very simple. There's no need to complicate things. You'll receive a start date and an end date. You have to take the test between the dates (start date and end date inclusive).

However...

Heads up. Looks like someone just got an in-person test.

Look at this post. There is no test window and the words "online test" is not seen on their status update. They've given the applicant a single date (June 7) to attend the test. The OP still hasn't received an email.

We're still NOT SURE if this is an in-person test but be sure to check that thread when the OP responds once s/he receives the test invitation in the email.

Read the test invite email VERY CAREFULLY. It might be an in-person test too.

Reactions: hungkubu

avro1959

Sep 13, 2014
Sorry my post was ambiguous. I got the test invite e-mail on 3/31 and my test window was from 4/5 to 4/25.

Kamilaapplebum

Star Member
Jul 1, 2019
Wrong place for sentiments. This forum neither sets nor changes any rules. Dumb or smart such they are. Either IRCC way or the highway at this point. Same going forward. Otherwise lawyer up, fight the system. Or get the citizenship and get elected to change them rules. Complaining here doesn't help. Not that you are complaining, but a general cry for injustice, dumbness of any rules on any forum has not changed a thing to date(with the little exception of spousal sponsorship, but for the cause in question there would be no one to protest as all potential victims of these rules would happen to be outside of Canada). It will take years to get changed IF it will. The general logic is to stick to the same rules as they were pre-pandemic: be in Canada whether for in-person tests/interviews/oaths or on-line. If one is stuck in India there are still reports of people flying in through other countries, alternatively it is always possible to re-schedule the test to a later date. And yes, there are losses in families and people have to travel out, but like pre-pandemic they would have to re-schedule their IRCC appointments and they need to do it now. No one is cancelling their applications for being outside of the country. Yes, IRCC has been very slow and steadily growing the backlog (for which I was going nuts myself too), but they didn't cause the pandemic at the end of the day.
you are now allowed to write the test outside Canadá if need be. I rest my case. It doesn’t always HAVE to take years to change a stupid rule. Sometimes it just takes people to stand up for injustice.

Fae7

Oct 18, 2016
Hi guys,
For those who are currently receiving online citizenship test invitations by email. Is it still a requirement that you have to be physically present in Canada to take the online test? I have checked this page and I can’t see the location requirement anymore. any suggestions?

https://www.canada.ca/en/immigration-refugees-citizenship/services/canadian-citizenship/become-canadian-citizen/citizenship-test/online.html
Call IRCC and ask !! I called and the agent said I can take the test outside Canada :) it seems the rules changes ! Some people have been able to take the test outside Canada