Online citizenship test completed, waiting for next steps

akbardxb

Champion Member
Nov 18, 2013
Mississauga
LANDED..........
28-03-2014
Passed the test in April 2021.

Sent fingerprints for a second time in February 2022.

STILL waiting for the oath ceremony and yesterday I had to turn down two job offers because they wanted proof of citizenship since I was not born in Canada.

Thanks for nothing IRCC Montreal.
This would have qualified for urgent processing. Retaining a job / conditional job offers would expedite your application. Did you not try?

Reactions: Spiceislegirl

TheJim

Star Member
Sep 20, 2014
Montreal, Quebec
Visa Office......
London
App. Filed.......
17-08-2014
AOR Received.
16-09-2014
Med's Done....
Upfront
Interview........
Waived
Passport Req..
Not Required
VISA ISSUED...
31-12-2014
LANDED..........
12-12-2014
This would have qualified for urgent processing. Retaining a job / conditional job offers would expedite your application. Did you not try?
I've submitted 8 case specific enquiries at this point since May last year and not one has been answered. I requested GCMS notes in October (no response) submitted a complaint to the OCI and IRCC in December (also no response and had to submit FP for a second time in February) and nothing has moved, kinda feel like I'm being ignored at this point.

akbardxb

Champion Member
Nov 18, 2013
Mississauga
LANDED..........
28-03-2014
I've submitted 8 case specific enquiries at this point since May last year and not one has been answered. I requested GCMS notes in October (no response) submitted a complaint to the OCI and IRCC in December (also no response and had to submit FP for a second time in February) and nothing has moved, kinda feel like I'm being ignored at this point.
I’m sorry to read this. Lots of us are in similar situations. Perhaps you should approach your MP and/or a lawyer for Mandamus.

Reactions: TheJim

anddrew

May 4, 2017
I just saw my citizenship test got updated to Completed. I finished the test on February 18, It took them 20 days to update. I saw some people in this forum started asking questions just after a couple of days of finishing the test. I guess we don't have to worry, just hang in there, it might take a while for IRCC to update it sometimes. Good luck to us all.

mmmmmm6

Mar 12, 2022
Good day everyone,

In mid-February I was invited to take the test online. Since I was not in Canada, I sent an email and mentioned "Outside Canada" as instructed. They then replied and confirmed that I can proceed to take the test; however, in that same email they also asked that I have to provide colour copies of all my passport pages upon returning to Canada (including boarding passes and confirmations of arrival and departure). I took the test by end of February and it is now shown as "Completed" in the online tracker. All the rest are still "In progress", except for citizenship ceremony which shows "Not started". So my questions are:

1. Is it normal to have the test done while no other earlier step is "Completed" yet?
  2. What is the next step? Will I be receiving any formal communication soon (any similar experiences)? I have not received any formal confirmation of test results yet...
  3. Does the fact that they asked me to provide the copies of my passport pages "after returning to Canada" mean that my application is on hold until I return and provide the copies? If yes, do you think it would be a problem if I return to Canada (to provide the copies and do some other things) and then leave Canada again?
  4. What will happen after I provide the copies? Does this mean an interview is coming? If yes, (and I know it is hard to say) but roughly how long after the copies are sent an interview is arranged? Most importantly, do I have to be physically in Canada for an interview too? Is it online or are they back to physical interviews these days?

Too many questions, sorry for that... Thank y'all very much. Any input helps and I truly appreciate it :)

Last edited:

Dreamlad

Champion Member
Jan 11, 2016
Category........
FSW
Visa Office......
Ottawa
NOC Code......
AOR Received.
08-04-2017
Med's Done....
23-06-2017
Good day everyone,

In mid-February I was invited to take the test online. Since I was not in Canada, I sent an email and mentioned "Outside Canada" as instructed. They then replied and confirmed that I can proceed to take the test; however, in that same email they also asked that I have to provide colour copies of all my passport pages upon returning to Canada (including boarding passes and confirmations of arrival and departure). I took the test by end of February and it is now shown as "Completed" in the online tracker. All the rest are still "In progress", except for citizenship ceremony which shows "Not started". So my questions are:

1. Is it normal to have the test done while no other earlier step is "Completed" yet?
  2. What is the next step? Will I be receiving any formal communication soon (any similar experiences)? I have no received any formal confirmation of test results yet...
  3. Does the fact that they asked me to provide the copies of my passport pages "after returning to Canada" mean that my application is on hold until I return and provide the copies? If yes, do you think it would be a problem if I return to Canada (to provide the copies and do some other things) and then leave Canada again?
  4. What will happen after I provide the copies? Does this mean an interview is coming? If yes, (and I know it is hard to say) but roughly how long after the copies are sent an interview is arranged? Most importantly, do I have to be physically in Canada for an interview too? Is it online or are they back to physical interviews these days?

Too many questions, sorry for that... Thank y'all very much. Any input helps and I truly appreciate it :)
Completely normal. I got interview request 4 months after the test so your next step is probably gonna be interview since you're still outside like me.

Reactions: mmmmmm6

akbardxb

Champion Member
Nov 18, 2013
Mississauga
LANDED..........
28-03-2014
Good day everyone,

2. What is the next step? Will I be receiving any formal communication soon (any similar experiences)? I have not received any formal confirmation of test results yet...

1. Since Background / Prohibitions involve other agencies and responses could be delayed, proceeding with test is probably going to be the norm going forward. Based on some other cases here, they are even processing families separately.

2. You'd probably seen an update / ghost update on the tracker, until they are ready to invite you for oath.

3. Oath cannot be taken outside, so if you choose to come back, at the time of Oath you have to confirm again that you are physically in Canada. If you cannot do that, it will be postponed. It is totally up to you to take that call. The reason they want copies after your return, is to confirm that you are in Canada.

4. Some people have reported online interviews. In person interviews are still not happening. Maybe they will start soon as restrictions are being lifted, but you never know. If IRCC finds this process faster, this might as well continue.

5. By now, you would have guessed that there is no trend for processing times. Each case is unique. However, if you were to look at all the cases processed by IRCC in its history, they would follow the normal bell distribution curve, but there will always be outliers like me and a few others here who are still not citizens, despite applying in 2016, 2017 and 2018. I'm from 2018.

Reactions: mmmmmm6

mmmmmm6

Mar 12, 2022
Thank you @Dreamlad and @akbardxb for your responses :)

Quick follow up: I understand that we have to be in Canada for the oath ceremony, but it's still unclear for me if I have to be physically present in Canada for the interview or it can be done from outside Canada as well. Any ideas?

Pitlord

Star Member
Aug 23, 2016
Passed the test on NOV 12th 2021.

4 months later still no invitation to the Virtual Ceremony.

Any suggestions?

On the CIC profile, everything is still in progress, last update DEC 10th. LOL

akbardxb

Champion Member
Nov 18, 2013
Mississauga
LANDED..........
28-03-2014
Passed the test on NOV 12th 2021.

4 months later still no invitation to the Virtual Ceremony.

Any suggestions?

On the CIC profile, everything is still in progress, last update DEC 10th. LOL
You could check the old portal to see if a decision has been made. In that case you would be one of the thousands awaiting oath; some have been waiting for 6 months or more, some have got the invitation in 2 weeks. If you don't seen DM on ECAS, then there could be something else holding up your application.

raaj051

Star Member
Feb 20, 2021
Fingerprint submitted three months ago. Background verification was updated to be "completed" one month ago. Today, Background verification returned to "In progress"

What the reason could be?
I’m in the same boat, FP done 2nd time on January 27th and received March 04 and background gone completed same day. Everything is marked green instead of “Prohibition” . Anybody have idea why Prohibition is still not completed yet and all other marked completed (Green) including background check ?