+1(514) 937-9445 or Toll-free (Canada & US) +1 (888) 947-9445

Online Certificate Studies from a Canadian University

mapleheart

Jan 14, 2019
Hello All,

I am thinking about studying an online certificate at the University of Toronto to increase my express entry score.

I am traveling a lot and in my current situation it is not possible to attend a local school, therefore, I am considering the online route.

I've figured that instead of attending a "whatever" college, I have the possibility to study on one of the world's best universities, so I would like to confirm two things:

1. As this education is basically Canadian, I assume that I don't have to evaluate it with WES, correct?
2. I heard some weird opinions about online education. Just to clarify, these courses are offered either in-person or online. Some courses are even limited to online-only, thus even local students in Toronto must take them from home. Is this type of certification acceptable for the purposes of Express Entry?

Thank you very much!

ahmedbadran

Star Member
Jan 31, 2019
I got some updates
Only few of us here are trying this option but from McMasrer University.
Most of us do not complete the degree yet, but one completed it and got invited already, but they are still reviewing his documents .. so no confirmed answer yet.
But in general the degree should academic and prefer to be one year study.

Simmidas

Mar 19, 2019
Are these courses pursued outside Canada and does Online Study qualify to get points in express.entery

ahmedbadran

Star Member
Jan 31, 2019
Are these courses pursued outside Canada and does Online Study qualify to get points in express.entery
It's online outside Canada, but as I said, we are not sure yet if it's acceptable for express entry or no.
But at least the university should have DLI number (means it is designated and recognized in Canada) so that you have a chance

Jonni

Apr 14, 2019
Ontario
Category........
CEC
App. Filed.......
10-04-2020
Med's Done....
07-04-2020
@ahmedbadran
I got some updates
Most of us do not complete the degree yet, but one completed it and got invited already, but they are still reviewing his documents .. so no confirmed answer yet.

Can you please update me on the status of your friend's application?

Also, I am thinking of applying for an online certificate for PMP at Algonquin college in Ontario. The entire course is online-based.

ahmedbadran

Star Member
Jan 31, 2019
@ahmedbadran

Can you please update me on the status of your friend's application?

Also, I am thinking of applying for an online certificate for PMP at Algonquin college in Ontario. The entire course is online-based.
His application got approved a month ago.
Just make sure that the certificate has sufficient number of credit hours (let's say 15 hours) so that it could be considered as one-year study.

Jonni

Apr 14, 2019
Ontario
Category........
CEC
App. Filed.......
10-04-2020
Med's Done....
07-04-2020
His application got approved a month ago.
Just make sure that the certificate has sufficient number of credit hours (let's say 15 hours) so that it could be considered as one-year study.
Thanks for your quick response. Was the course fully online? or Partially?

I am going to go for a a PMP certificate that is fully online at Algonquin.

ahmedbadran

Star Member
Jan 31, 2019
It doesn't matter if it is fully online. Just make sure it's an academic certificate and has a sufficient number of credit hours.

prusa

Star Member
Jul 22, 2019
Thanks for your quick response. Was the course fully online? or Partially?

I am going to go for a a PMP certificate that is fully online at Algonquin.
I don't think a PMP certificate is going to count as a formal education - but please do check before you enroll.

Fully online courses are not an issue - I just received PPR from a fully online MS from USA.

ivicts

Jun 3, 2020
Singapore
Category........
FSW
NOC Code......
AOR Received.
25-04-2023
LANDED..........
11-04-2024
I got some updates
Hi, are there any more updates on this?
How about the few of you (other than the one got his invitation already) who tried the McMaster university option?
Did you all get invited?

s_canada

Sep 9, 2020
Hi ivicts, I got invited also but my application still under process.
Hi,

Did your application get approved? I am looking into enrolling in a continuing education certificate program for 1 academic year. I am really confused if that would be considered for CRS points.

Could you also please let me know if you got a transcript listing all the courses, grades, and the number of credits from McMaster University?

Thanks!