+1(514) 937-9445 or Toll-free (Canada & US) +1 (888) 947-9445

online application for citizenship is valid?

faketree1

May 25, 2020
I want to seek IRCC's clarification on whether online citizenship applications are considered valid applications, meaning IRCC will pick it up for processing per submitted timeline?

I want to submit my citizenship application online. However, my friend submitted his online application for citizenship in January 2021 and he has not heard from IRCC ever since. He did not get tracking number of any sort after the online submission ( can others submitted online verify that?) , so IRCC ( with the help of MP's office) cannot identify/locate his online application. In essence, his application (along with the submitted fee) does not exist. Only heaven knows whether or when IRCC will eventually dig him out of the pool and send him a AoR.

Could you please advise whether my online citizenship application will be valid or shall I apply in paper by mailing to Case Processing Centre-Sydney?

The application guide below does not mention about online application and it really confuses me.

https://www.canada.ca/en/immigration-refugees-citizenship/services/application/application-forms-guides/guide-0002-application-canadian-citizenship-under-subsection-5-1-adults-18-years-older.html

Thanks!

Last edited:

rajkamalmohanram

VIP Member
Apr 29, 2015
I want to seek IRCC's clarification on whether online citizenship application summited via the link below are considered valid applications.

https://citapply-citdemande.apps.cic.gc.ca/en/landing

I want to submit my citizenship application for through the above link. However, my friend submitted his online application for citizenship in January 2021 and he has not heard from IRCC ever since.

Could you please advise whether my online citizenship application will be valid or shall I apply in paper by mailing to Case Processing Centre-Sydney?

The application guide below does not mention about online application and it really confuses me.

https://www.canada.ca/en/immigration-refugees-citizenship/services/application/application-forms-guides/guide-0002-application-canadian-citizenship-under-subsection-5-1-adults-18-years-older.html

Thanks!
You can apply using that link and as long as you submit a complete application with all the information and documents, you should be good!

faketree1

May 25, 2020
You can apply using that link and as long as you submit a complete application with all the information and documents, you should be good!
thanks for your answer. but my friend said he did not even get a tracking number for his online application. he has been calling IRCC call center and IRCC could not (or unwilling to) even confirm whether his online app is valid or not.....

there's so much said about being selected by IRCC for this super fast track online app, but what about the others who are not SELECTED AND YET SUBMITTED via ONLINE APP ?

still struggling whether to submit online or by mail.

rajkamalmohanram

VIP Member
Apr 29, 2015
thanks for your answer. but my friend said he did not even get a tracking number for his online application. he has been calling IRCC call center and IRCC could not (or unwilling to) even confirm whether his online app is valid or not.....

there's so much said about being selected by IRCC for this super fast track online app, but what about the others who are not SELECTED AND YET SUBMITTED via ONLINE APP ?

still struggling whether to submit online or by mail.
The decision is up to you. There might have been a glitch with your friend's application.

@citizenship.enthusiast received AOR within 2 weeks (Applied earlier this month). Just because your friend's application is in a limbo doesn't mean yours will too.

If I had the opportunity to apply online, I would have taken that without second thought. Unfortunately, when I applied, there was no online system and hence had to apply on paper.

This is only my opinion. Talk with a few others and check the 2021 spreadsheet to see how many people have received AORs and then decide.

Good luck!

engray

Champion Member
Jul 20, 2018
Can someone submit an ATIP request to figure out the randomly selection criteria :)? Hopefully my ATIP request would include that information, I should receive it on June10.

rajkamalmohanram

VIP Member
Apr 29, 2015
@rajkamalmohanram @faketree1 but IRCC recently replied to a thread about a similar question on Twitter that one cannot apply for citizenship online without an direct invitation from IRCC.
Like I mentioned elsewhere, they are saying that in an effort to throttle the volume.

If you want a direct invitation, go the the Online citizenship grant page and keep refreshing the page for sometime. You'll then see a link on the top. That's what they are referring to as "direct invitation".

Ask the applicants who applied recently. They will be able to guide you better! Good luck!

Reactions: PG-BColumbia

maverick_07

Jul 2, 2018
Like I mentioned elsewhere, they are saying that in an effort to throttle the volume.

If you want a direct invitation, go the the Online citizenship grant page and keep refreshing the page for sometime. You'll then see a link on the top. That's what they are referring to as "direct invitation".

Ask the applicants who applied recently. They will be able to guide you better! Good luck!
I see what you meant. I went to the online citizenship grant page and refreshed it about 4 times and a new section did appear for to check eligibility for online application . Thank you!

faketree1

May 25, 2020
The decision is up to you. There might have been a glitch with your friend's application.

@citizenship.enthusiast received AOR within 2 weeks (Applied earlier this month). Just because your friend's application is in a limbo doesn't mean yours will too.

If I had the opportunity to apply online, I would have taken that without second thought. Unfortunately, when I applied, there was no online system and hence had to apply on paper.

This is only my opinion. Talk with a few others and check the 2021 spreadsheet to see how many people have received AORs and then decide.

Good luck!
but @citizenship.enthusiast has been selected by IRCC to participate in the amazing citizenship online application pilot?

faketree1

May 25, 2020

can you please be more specific? a specific link to share please? Google algorithm may change and I don't see such a holy sight of phenomenon as you descried, lol, no link came up after I kept refreshing like crazy

faketree1

May 25, 2020
I see what you meant. I went to the online citizenship grant page and refreshed it about 4 times and a new section did appear for to check eligibility for online application . Thank you!
can you please be more specific? a specific link to share please? Google algorithm may change and I don't see such a holy sight of phenomenon as you descried, lol, no link came up after I kept refreshing like crazy

rajkamalmohanram

VIP Member
Apr 29, 2015
Can someone submit an ATIP request to figure out the randomly selection criteria :)? Hopefully my ATIP request would include that information, I should receive it on June10.
There is no "criteria". It is based on pure probability. Check my post where I highlight which part of the code on the page is responsible for this "random selection". Basically, they have coded in a way that the online citizenship banner appears only 10% of the time.

Reactions: PG-BColumbia

tammy_z

Star Member
Sep 4, 2020

Good luck!

was this because of an urgent application request??
When you say refresh the online citizenship grant page, which page are you referring to?

Scottpark77

Star Member
Apr 2, 2018
can you give me a website where the new banner appears? just need the address. I will do the refreshing