+1(514) 937-9445 or Toll-free (Canada & US) +1 (888) 947-9445

Ongoing business (home country) - student

MsCutler

Star Member
Sep 12, 2019
Hi Seniors,

I'd like to ask for your inputs as I'm unfamiliar on this, would like to make sure I won't violate my working conditions as a student.

I currently own a small business (sole proprietor) here in my home country and by January ill be studying in Canada. While I'll be studying/away my family would actively manage/oversee my business though business would still be under my name.

Given above- I'd like to know if my ongoing business in my home country be considered as a form of employment, will it be deemed as a full time (self) employment considering im the sole owner and be viewed as a violation of my working conditions as a student? Thank you in advance for your inputs.

Humpholito24

Sep 20, 2019
Hi Seniors,

I'd like to ask for your inputs as I'm unfamiliar on this, would like to make sure I won't violate my working conditions as a student.

I currently own a small business (sole proprietor) here in my home country and by January ill be studying in Canada. While I'll be studying/away my family would actively manage/oversee my business though business would still be under my name.

Given above- I'd like to know if my ongoing business in my home country be considered as a form of employment, will it be deemed as a full time (self) employment considering im the sole owner and be viewed as a violation of my working conditions as a student? Thank you in advance for your inputs.
Nope. There is no connection with Canada. You should be fine.

Reactions: MsCutler

MsCutler

Star Member
Sep 12, 2019
Thank you @bongoman and @Humpholito24 :)

One last question - just thinking ahead once I apply for pgwp or the need to file a student permit extension.

Assuming my business would still be ongoing once I apply for extension or pgwp --in the employment or activity the last 10 years section of the app form for my business should inclusive dates be noted as:

1. From start to present date (with a short note indicating that my business is still ongoing though family is managing it)?

Or

2. From start to date I stopped managing it (with a short note as above)?

Your advice is much appreciated :)

Last edited:

Humpholito24

Sep 20, 2019
Thank you @bongoman and @Humpholito24 :)

One last question - just thinking ahead once I apply for pgwp or the need to file a student permit extension.

Assuming my business would still be ongoing once I apply for extension or pgwp --in the employment or activity the last 10 years section of the app form for my business should inclusive dates be noted as:

1. From start to present date (with a short note indicating that my business is still ongoing though family is managing it)?

Or

2. From start to date I stopped managing it (with a short note as above)?

Your advice is much appreciated :)
Will you stop managing when applying for pgwp or extension? I don't think it should be a problem if you show them you still manage your business at home in Canada. You aren't doing anything illegal.

Reactions: MsCutler

MsCutler

Star Member
Sep 12, 2019
Will you stop managing when applying for pgwp or extension? I don't think it should be a problem if you show them you still manage your business at home in Canada. You aren't doing anything illegal.
Got it. Thanks! Yes I will stop actively managing it while I study as it might be quite difficult to do both and ill be pretty far away. Thanks again. Have an awesome one :)

Humpholito24

Sep 20, 2019
Got it. Thanks! Yes I will stop actively managing it while I study as it might be quite difficult to do both and ill be pretty far away. Thanks again. Have an awesome one :)
If you will stop. You can include the day you stopped then let them know your family are taking care of it. You are welcome and have an awesome one too.