+1(514) 937-9445 or Toll-free (Canada & US) +1 (888) 947-9445

one-year pilot OWP for spouses and common-law partners

shesosilly

Jan 14, 2015
Hey everyone! I was able to get an OWP last year and it will expire on March 2016. (yep, I was only given 1 year). Does anybody here know the process on renewing this? Anybody here going through the same thing?

I've seen some instructions on the cic website about extending the open work permit, would it be the same process for us? Thanks in advance for any help!

canuck_in_uk

VIP Member
May 4, 2012
Visa Office......
London
App. Filed.......
06/12
shesosilly said:
Hey everyone! I was able to get an OWP last year and it will expire on March 2016. (yep, I was only given 1 year). Does anybody here know the process on renewing this? Anybody here going through the same thing?

I've seen some instructions on the cic website about extending the open work permit, would it be the same process for us? Thanks in advance for any help!
Yes, it is the same process. http://www.cic.gc.ca/english/information/applications/extend-worker.asp

Note that you will have to pay the $255 fees again.

When does your passport expire?

kacy12

Oct 17, 2014
Hi Ponga,

I am currently having a study permit, but I am quitting the school I am studying cuz of unfair treatment.

After I quit, I have 90 days before my study permit expire.

I am also trying to submit my SCLPC application as well.

Here is a thing, so in two month I will need to go back to my home country (At that time my study permit is still valid, but I will not be register any courses since I decide to quit).

Since OWP takes at least 4 months to process, so I won't be able to get an OWP at the time I go back to my home country.

I do have multiple entries visitor visa as well.

I was wondering that is it risky to go back to my home country at that time and come back? What are the options here. Thank you.

shesosilly

Jan 14, 2015
Hi canuck_in_uk! My passport expires in 2018. I've been looking on that link and I can't seem to figure out if I'm eligible to apply online. Seems like there's no option for me there, I only have the AOR and no AIP yet. What do you think? Can my case be renewed online? Also, do you think I would need a medical again? My medical was done a little more than a year ago.

jas1989

Mar 24, 2015
Hello Everyone

I am glad to see that applicants of December 2015 in Inland applications are getting the AOR but also wondering that the applicants of October/November are not getting any AOR. Do Anybody have any idea that how it works? I am nov 27 applicant.

Thanks

Nomad Nicol

Jul 13, 2015
jas1989 said:
Hello Everyone

I am glad to see that applicants of December 2015 in Inland applications are getting the AOR but also wondering that the applicants of October/November are not getting any AOR. Do Anybody have any idea that how it works? I am nov 27 applicant.

Thanks
Seems like a bit of a quirk, my AOR came Dec 15th after it being received Sept 15th so I'd guess Feb 27th for yours.

jas1989

Mar 24, 2015
Nomad Nicol said:
Seems like a bit of a quirk, my AOR came Dec 15th after it being received Sept 15th so I'd guess Feb 27th for yours.
Did you receive your OWP? as it almost 4 months now?

Thanks for the help

dominokitty

Mar 19, 2014
Canada - Alberta
Category........
Visa Office......
Mississauga
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
11-09-2015
AOR Received.
12-12-2015
Med's Request
16-05-2016
Med's Done....
upfront, then again on 25-05-2016
Interview........
waived
LANDED..........
30-06-2016 - Calgary
I created a thread for this already, but I am also posting it here so the appropriate people read this..

I don't know what to do. We sent our inland application for sponsorship with the open work permit included back in September. It was intended for the OWP pilot project. It was received by CIC on Sept 11, and started processing on Dec 12. We completed both the permanent residency application and the open work permit application according to the checklists provided on the CIC website. Everything on the checklist was included.

We received a package in the mail today. We were very excited, expecting it to be the work permit we've been waiting for. Instead, it was the open work permit portion of our application, returned with a letter saying it was not processed because it was incomplete. We're supposed to fill out a new form that I have never seen before and isn't listed on the application checklist - IMM5710: Application to Change Conditions, Extend My Stay, Or Remain in Canada as a Worker. This form is not listed in the checklists for either the Inland spousal sponsorship application or the open work permit application, and it's not listed on the pilot program page either. I don't know how we could have known this was a necessary piece of our application. Even the application we were returned doesn't have this form on their checklist!

I'm terrified. All this time, I was under the impression that my husband would be granted Implied Status as long as the application was in process, and that as long as we mailed our application before his visitor visa expired, we'd be fine. Members of this forum advised me as much. We even called CIC to confirm this. We were so careful to make sure that we included everything so this didn't happen. Now, we don't know where to turn.

He arrived in Canada in May 2015 on a 6-month visitor permit that expired a month after we sent our application away. Does this mean my husband is now out of status and not eligible for the open work permit? Does this mean the application to extend his stay will be rejected because he's now out of status? Will my husband be forced to leave Canada, making our sponsorship application null? What do we do? Has anyone else come across this problem before?

If you successfully applied for the open work permit and did not have this problem, where did you find the information that told you this IMM5710 form was needed for this pilot program? I can't find it anywhere but on the specific page it's listed.

I'm really panicking here. Please help.

erwinjohn997

Nov 4, 2014
Visa Office......
Nova Scotia
App. Filed.......
11-07-2019
AOR Received.
waiting..
Nomad Nicol said:
Not yet, I'm hoping it's sitting in my mailbox awaiting my return from work today!
so how many days or months should we wait for the OWP to come after we get the AOR?

canuck_in_uk

VIP Member
May 4, 2012
Visa Office......
London
App. Filed.......
06/12
shesosilly said:
Hi canuck_in_uk! My passport expires in 2018. I've been looking on that link and I can't seem to figure out if I'm eligible to apply online. Seems like there's no option for me there, I only have the AOR and no AIP yet. What do you think? Can my case be renewed online? Also, do you think I would need a medical again? My medical was done a little more than a year ago.
Sorry for the late reply. I didn't see your response before.

You will need to mail in a paper application.

You will not need a new medical to extend your OWP. However, CIC may request a new one for the PR app, depending on how out of date your previous one is when they are ready to finalize the app.

jas1989

Mar 24, 2015
Hey Guys

I sent a inland application, and I am assuming that I sent two outdated forms.

One General canada form 008 and one 5710 (Extend your stay....) Will there be chances to send mine application back or what?

Thanks

Mbazinga

Mar 6, 2015
I'm sept. 17 th applicant didn't receive OWP yet .. Does anyone who have the same time line or closer get anything ?... Thanks you guys .. I'm just feeling very frustrated hope to hear good news soon

Ay Ne

Jan 14, 2016
Hi guys. I'm also September applicant. CIC received our application on September 8th, AOR received around December 8th, I am still waiting for OWP. Hopefully I can receive OWP...

beans on toast

Star Member
Feb 2, 2015
Category........
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
16-03-2015
AOR Received.
17-04-2015
Med's Done....
Sent With App
LANDED..........
16-08-2016
dominokitty said:
I created a thread for this already, but I am also posting it here so the appropriate people read this..

I don't know what to do. We sent our inland application for sponsorship with the open work permit included back in September. It was intended for the OWP pilot project. It was received by CIC on Sept 11, and started processing on Dec 12. We completed both the permanent residency application and the open work permit application according to the checklists provided on the CIC website. Everything on the checklist was included.

We received a package in the mail today. We were very excited, expecting it to be the work permit we've been waiting for. Instead, it was the open work permit portion of our application, returned with a letter saying it was not processed because it was incomplete. We're supposed to fill out a new form that I have never seen before and isn't listed on the application checklist - IMM5710: Application to Change Conditions, Extend My Stay, Or Remain in Canada as a Worker. This form is not listed in the checklists for either the Inland spousal sponsorship application or the open work permit application, and it's not listed on the pilot program page either. I don't know how we could have known this was a necessary piece of our application. Even the application we were returned doesn't have this form on their checklist!

I'm terrified. All this time, I was under the impression that my husband would be granted Implied Status as long as the application was in process, and that as long as we mailed our application before his visitor visa expired, we'd be fine. Members of this forum advised me as much. We even called CIC to confirm this. We were so careful to make sure that we included everything so this didn't happen. Now, we don't know where to turn.

He arrived in Canada in May 2015 on a 6-month visitor permit that expired a month after we sent our application away. Does this mean my husband is now out of status and not eligible for the open work permit? Does this mean the application to extend his stay will be rejected because he's now out of status? Will my husband be forced to leave Canada, making our sponsorship application null? What do we do? Has anyone else come across this problem before?

If you successfully applied for the open work permit and did not have this problem, where did you find the information that told you this IMM5710 form was needed for this pilot program? I can't find it anywhere but on the specific page it's listed.

I'm really panicking here. Please help.

Hi,
I'm not sure if this is the same as your situation, but the experiences are similiar and i am letting you know my situation to see if it sheds any light.
I was also out of status and was informed by the Call Centre (they got it wrong) that by submitting my OWP application with my PR app, i would be back in status and should be ok to receive my OWP it in 4 months. After 4 months i called the call centre, and as was the case i was informed that as i was out of status i would not be given a work permit until the first stage of my PR application was agreed in principle (AIP). However, my application for PR is still acceptable (despite my being out of status) and is now 10 months in. Note, i have not had to leave the country (i am still living here with my fiancee).
Not sure if this info helps, but there are some similarities!
Chin up.