+1(514) 937-9445 or Toll-free (Canada & US) +1 (888) 947-9445

one-year pilot OWP for spouses and common-law partners

patel007

Nov 28, 2014
Hi Members,
I would really appreciated if you could provide me your guidance in this case.

My Friend has lost his legal status and now he is with in 90 Days of restoration period Window. he is getting married next week and will be applying for inland sponsorship application.

I did read on the forum that member suggested someone that you can not apply for OWP under pilot program as Restoration period is not a legal status.

He phoned in CIC and Agent suggested him that as long as he can prove that he has applied for restoration with in 90 days period then he may submit the OWP application with spousal sponsorship application.
What would you recommend in this particular scenario?

Have you seen anyone getting OWP approved when they were with in 90days of restoration period window.
I would really appreciate your help.
Thanks.

canuck_in_uk

VIP Member
May 4, 2012
Visa Office......
London
App. Filed.......
06/12
patel007 said:
My Friend has lost his legal status and now he is with in 90 Days of restoration period Window. he is getting married next week and will be applying for inland sponsorship application.

I did read on the forum that member suggested someone that you can not apply for OWP under pilot program as Restoration period is not a legal status.

He phoned in CIC and Agent suggested him that as long as he can prove that he has applied for restoration with in 90 days period then he may submit the OWP application with spousal sponsorship application.
The Call Centre is incorrect, as usual. While awaiting Restoration, a person is in Canada illegally. He needs to wait until his Restoration app is approved and he has valid status before applying.

sophieee

Champion Member
Jan 14, 2014
Vancouver
Category........
Visa Office......
CPC Mississauga
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
Jan 20, 2014
AOR Received.
May 2, 2014
Med's Done....
Jan 10, 2014
Interview........
AIP: May 25, 2015
LANDED..........
Aug 11, 2015
I just found this Program delivery update
http://www.cic.gc.ca/english/resources/tools/updates/2015/2015-11-09.asp

Update to the instructions related to the issuance of work permits
Summary

The program delivery instructions have been updated to reflect the changes in the processing and issuance of work permits, due to the enhanced employer compliance regime that was implemented in December 2013 and strengthened in February 2015.

Changes have been made to the instructions on issuing open work permits and spousal work permits to reflect the new fees and associations that must be made to support revocations. The key contacts related to temporary residents and the instructions regarding Labour Market Impact Assessment suspension and subsequent work permit processing suspension have also been updated.
I was wondering if this means that they will continue with the pilot project for the inland applicants, or does this refer to the work permit provided to the foreign worker's spouses. Any comments / ideas?

Ponga

VIP Member
Oct 22, 2013
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
sophieee said:
I just found this Program delivery update
http://www.cic.gc.ca/english/resources/tools/updates/2015/2015-11-09.asp

I was wondering if this means that they will continue with the pilot project for the inland applicants, or does this refer to the work permit provided to the foreign worker's spouses. Any comments / ideas?
My guess would be yes, since this language still appears:

qualifying foreign nationals who have submitted an application for permanent residence under the spouse or common-law partner in Canada class (SCLPCC).

Officers will issue open work permits to SCLPCC applicants if they meet the following requirements:
a permanent residence application has been submitted under the SCLPCC,
a Canadian citizen or permanent resident spouse has submitted a sponsorship application on their behalf,
the SCLPCC applicant resides at the same address as the sponsor, and
the SCLPCC applicant has valid temporary resident status (as a visitor, student or worker).

justbelieve

Dec 3, 2015
Submitted my spouse's OWP application together with his PR application on June 10, 2015, OWP application returned due to insufficient payment; paid the additional $155 and immediately sent the form Aug 27, now with a letter for them to refer to the previously sent PR form (quoting the UCI #, as I received already the number)

It's 3 months now....I'm checking my mailbox like everyday...but none yet so far. we called the call center twice and they only told us to wait til the 4th month which will be on Dec 27. haist...the long wait is killing me...

sophieee

Champion Member
Jan 14, 2014
Vancouver
Category........
Visa Office......
CPC Mississauga
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
Jan 20, 2014
AOR Received.
May 2, 2014
Med's Done....
Jan 10, 2014
Interview........
LANDED..........
Aug 11, 2015
December 11, 2015 – Foreign nationals in Canada applying to immigrate as a spouse or common-law partner will continue to have the opportunity to work while waiting for their application to be finalized.
A pilot program giving them open work permits is being extended for one year, until December 22, 2016.
http://www.cic.gc.ca/english/department/media/notices/2015-12-11.asp

emviolet

Dec 16, 2015
Hello, everyone,

I need your help, please. I am helping out a friend apply for an open work permit for her husband under the SLPCC. She had a pending pr application and her open work permit is valid for another year.

1. How do we apply for her spouse's owp and what forms do we need to use?
2. Her husband is in UAE, can she apply for the owp in his behalf here in Canada or can he apply online?

Thank you for taking time to read and respond to my post.

sophieee

Champion Member
Jan 14, 2014
Vancouver
Category........
Visa Office......
CPC Mississauga
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
Jan 20, 2014
AOR Received.
May 2, 2014
Med's Done....
Jan 10, 2014
Interview........
LANDED..........
Aug 11, 2015
emviolet said:
Hello, everyone,

I need your help, please. I am helping out a friend apply for an open work permit for her husband under the SLPCC. She had a pending pr application and her open work permit is valid for another year.

2. Her husband is in UAE, can she apply for the owp in his behalf here in Canada or can he apply online?

Thank you for taking time to read and respond to my post.
Only INLAND applicants are eligible for the program.

canuck_in_uk

VIP Member
May 4, 2012
Visa Office......
London
App. Filed.......
06/12
emviolet said:

From what you've said, she is not sponsoring her husband; he is included in her own PR app as a dependent and therefore doesn't qualify under this program.

Post any future queries in the EE or Skilled Worker section of the forum.

jas1989

Mar 24, 2015
sophieee said:
December 11, 2015 – Foreign nationals in Canada applying to immigrate as a spouse or common-law partner will continue to have the opportunity to work while waiting for their application to be finalized.
A pilot program giving them open work permits is being extended for one year, until December 22, 2016.
http://www.cic.gc.ca/english/department/media/notices/2015-12-11.asp
Hope they reduce the time period of the processing for the application.

justbelieve

Dec 3, 2015
HELP Guys !!! It has been 4 months on Dec 27, but we have not received my husband's OWP yet. called CIC and the agent said, they can not locate my husband's file. The next agent said, she can't locate the file as well, but it should be on the way, coz if it was rejected, it could have been mailed earlier...haist...

justbelieve said:
Submitted my spouse's OWP application together with his PR application on June 10, 2015, OWP application returned due to insufficient payment; paid the additional $155 and immediately sent the form Aug 27, now with a letter for them to refer to the previously sent PR form (quoting the UCI #, as I received already the number)

It's 3 months now....I'm checking my mailbox like everyday...but none yet so far. we called the call center twice and they only told us to wait til the 4th month which will be on Dec 27. haist...the long wait is killing me...

Ponga

VIP Member
Oct 22, 2013
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
justbelieve said:
HELP Guys !!! It has been 4 months on Dec 27, but we have not received my husband's OWP yet. called CIC and the agent said, they can not locate my husband's file. The next agent said, she can't locate the file as well, but it should be on the way, coz if it was rejected, it could have been mailed earlier...haist...
UG! This is becoming an all too common story.

Since it's been 4 months and the Call Centre staff can't even `see' that there is/was an OWP for your husband in the system...you have to wonder if they even received it, or worse...lost it somewhere along the way.

Do you have delivery confirmation that the OWP was in fact received by CIC?

When does your husband's legal status expire?

justbelieve

Dec 3, 2015
Ponga said:
UG! This is becoming an all too common story.

Since it's been 4 months and the Call Centre staff can't even `see' that there is/was an OWP for your husband in the system...you have to wonder if they even received it, or worse...lost it somewhere along the way.

Do you have delivery confirmation that the OWP was in fact received by CIC?

When does your husband's legal status expire?
Yes, they received the mail exactly Aug 27. He is currently in a work permit, but we wish to change his status in an open work permit. They should see the status of the application in their website right?

ksdledesma

Jan 20, 2012
Our initial application for PR was returned back to us because we were missing a signature in one of the documents. For those who experienced the same situation do you mind providing some insight on our case?

1) Do we have to resubmit the papers as is and just sign the document we missed or do we have to start over again since 4 months has already elapsed. Especially for requirements such as proof of financial capacity (pay slips, bank statements, etc)

2) Do we have to pay again or will our old receipt work?

Thanks in advance for the help and happy new year.

Ponga

VIP Member
Oct 22, 2013
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
ksdledesma said:
Our initial application for PR was returned back to us because we were missing a signature in one of the documents. For those who experienced the same situation do you mind providing some insight on our case?

1) Do we have to resubmit the papers as is and just sign the document we missed or do we have to start over again since 4 months has already elapsed. Especially for requirements such as proof of financial capacity (pay slips, bank statements, etc)

2) Do we have to pay again or will our old receipt work?

Thanks in advance for the help and happy new year.
You should check the CIC website to see if any of your original forms (the IMM forms) have been updated. If they have, make sure you send the updated form(s).

Your original receipt should also be included.

Unfortunately, you'll be at the back of the line when they receive your application again.

Good luck!