+1(514) 937-9445 or Toll-free (Canada & US) +1 (888) 947-9445

one-year pilot OWP for spouses and common-law partners

jesty195

Jul 23, 2013
Hello everyone,

FYI. I applied OWP on Feb 9 2015 together with our PR inland application. Finally we received the OWP on May 12 2015. Good luck to everyone!

chris1302

Star Member
Sep 12, 2014
ottawa
Category........
Visa Office......
Mississauga
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
screech339 said:
Are you saying you applied for OWP pilot program just so your wife can go on OHIP? That's the impression I am getting from you since it is "useless" to you.

And you wondered why Ontario still had to make sure the applicant at least met AIP stage to qualify. I guess they didn't want the Fed to encroach on their jurisdiction on how applicant qualify for OHIP.
well said Screech...we complained when we couldn't work, now we can and we still complain.
Like I said before, when my husband went to get his OHIP the lady said we does not qualify at this time, but when he does find full time empliyment his employer should write a letter saying 'that he intends to work full time for the company' he will then get OHIP (but will need to wait the 3 months). hey we're happy atleast he can work.
The lady at service ontario even gave me a piece of paper outlining what should be written on the letter from the employer.

frenzie2

May 21, 2015
Hi All,

Looking for some more help in regards to submitting the application for OWP together with the sponsorship application.

From what I've read IMM 5710E should be submitted in the same package. Is it just that 1 form or does it include everything also found in
checklist IMM 5556? If so does that mean two photocopies of passport, etc? Does it go into a different envelope?

With form IMM 5710E under section Details of Intended Work in Canada would that just be left blank other than question 1?

[Edit] - I saw someone else post the following in another thread "As has been stated several times now, this is not a regular work permit application which requires that complete package. It is a special permit that requires only the IMM5710, the fee and the letter regarding your inland PR app." but I don't know how valid that statement is.

Thanks

GustavesF

Oct 29, 2014
Category........
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
01-04-2014
AOR Received.
26-01-2015
LANDED..........
08-10-2015
chris1302 said:
well said Screech...we complained when we couldn't work, now we can and we still complain.
Like I said before, when my husband went to get his OHIP the lady said we does not qualify at this time, but when he does find full time empliyment his employer should write a letter saying 'that he intends to work full time for the company' he will then get OHIP (but will need to wait the 3 months). hey we're happy atleast he can work.
The lady at service ontario even gave me a piece of paper outlining what should be written on the letter from the employer.
I've looked into this extensively. You can *not* get OHIP with a Pilot OWP and 6-month full-time employment.
Until they actually look into it, and realize it's a Type 27 OWP, they don't know what they're talking about.

I've asked the exact same question multiple times, to multiple people at Service Ontario. They start off by saying I just need some kind of letter from an employer, till they realize it's a Type 27 OWP, then they change their tune and say "it has to be a letter from CIC stating you meet the eligibility requirements *to apply* for permanent residence". Which is exactly the verbiage on the AIP from Inland Permanent Residence.

Smilesat24

Jul 8, 2014
frenzie2 said:
Hi All,

Looking for some more help in regards to submitting the application for OWP together with the sponsorship application.

From what I've read IMM 5710E should be submitted in the same package. Is it just that 1 form or does it include everything also found in
checklist IMM 5556? If so does that mean two photocopies of passport, etc? Does it go into a different envelope?

With form IMM 5710E under section Details of Intended Work in Canada would that just be left blank other than question 1?

[Edit] - I saw someone else post the following in another thread "As has been stated several times now, this is not a regular work permit application which requires that complete package. It is a special permit that requires only the IMM5710, the fee and the letter regarding your inland PR app." but I don't know how valid that statement is.

Thanks
Hi,
My experience was to send them COMPLETE package, (follow the instruction for how to apply for work permit), just copy a few more pages... easy, right? just in case they return your application...
And regarding to "intended work in Canada section", I think leave it blank...because you are applying for OPEN work permit, which means your employer in NOT specific... could be any job under conditions.

GustavesF

Oct 29, 2014
Category........
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
01-04-2014
AOR Received.
26-01-2015
LANDED..........
08-10-2015
screech339 said:
Are you saying you applied for OWP pilot program just so your wife can go on OHIP? That's the impression I am getting from you since it is "useless" to you.
Yes, when I applied for the OWP it was *for* OHIP. Back when I applied for the OWP, Health Ontario accepted Type 27 OWP's, now they don't. Something was available, now it isn't.

When were Type 27 OWP's offered prior to the Pilot Program? I have no idea, but the point is that it was accepted, now it isn't. So, how qualified were people with Type 27's to apply for OHIP prior to April? I don't know, but in retrospect they weren't qualified, it was apparently a huge security breech that they have since rectified.

I don't understand why everyone acts like it is so strange that the backbone of healthcare in Ontario is actually that important to me. My wife is a woman, whom as a woman has needs beyond "emergency care". As you mentioned, OHIP is a prerequisite to almost everything.

screech339 said:
And you wondered why Ontario still had to make sure the applicant at least met AIP stage to qualify. I guess they didn't want the Fed to encroach on their jurisdiction on how applicant qualify for OHIP.
What do you mean by that?
That Ontario was insane to ever have accepted Type 27 OWP's? A glaring mistake that they have since rectified?
Are you saying that people who have moved to Canada, married Canadians, have applied for permanent residence, have been living there for a year, whom 98% or more of them will be eventually accepted, are largely looking to cheat the system?
How much is the risk diminished after AIP finally shows up? Does that 98% turn into a 98.5%?

That these people are "less qualified" than:
- A foreign worker who is approved within 2 weeks of application. (As per Chris Alexander's bragging)
- The spouse of that foreign worker.
- A foreign student.
- The spouse of that foreign student.
- A refugee.
- The spouse of that refugee.

CIC routinely sends out documents that allow people to get OHIP all the time, they draft up these documents in as little as 2 weeks time.

That's why one of OHIP's current requirements are: any document from CIC, Work Permit, Visitor Record, Temporary Resident Permit or Study Permit, that indicates somewhere that you "meet the eligibility requirements to *apply* for permanent residence". It's much easier to get OHIP than you may realize, it's just not easy if you're in Canada due to marriage.

If it's really all about money, and future taxes, and working so you can pay more income tax, CIC should just check the sponsor's CRA records, if they pay enough tax, their spouse gets express entry. Clearly it's all about economics, right? Or is that taking the argument too far?

Clearly inlanders have been making enough money to support their non-working spouse, so they're much like any other single-income households. Are all single-income households cheating the system?

The least they could do is allow you to pay into OHIP if you don't qualify yet.

screech339

VIP Member
Apr 2, 2013
Category........
Visa Office......
Vegreville
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
14-08-2012
AOR Received.
20-11-2012
Med's Done....
18-07-2012
Interview........
17-06-2013
LANDED..........
17-06-2013
GustavesF said:
That these people are "less qualified" than:
- A foreign worker who is approved within 2 weeks of application. (As per Chris Alexander's bragging)
- The spouse of that foreign worker.
- A foreign student.
- The spouse of that foreign student.
- A refugee.
- The spouse of that refugee.
First of all, unless the spouse/CL is a student or a temporary worker, the spouse of PR/Canadian is first a visitor of Canada, nothing more. As a visitor of Canada, they have no right to provincial health care. Students and Temporary Workers have access to health care due paying taxes / international tuition fees. A visitor does not pay any kind of fees or taxes that grants him/herself access to free medical health care.

As for refugees, I am not up to par as to what/how they get their benefits. I suspects that refugees still need to work in order to get a roof over their head/get food on the table, etc, etc. Thus they also contribute through taxes in some form or another. Like I said, I really don't know what benefits they get and for how long they can retain it. The issue I have with refugees is getting more medical free access than Canadian/PR/student/worker gets such as dental coverage, prescription coverage, etc. That is, in my opinion, wrong. Why should refugees get special treatment while everyone else in Canada has to pay for it out of their own pocket?

The only reason, I think, the spouses of students/temporary workers/refugees are able to get access to medical care is that they have a direct link to the student/worker/refugee visa status (temporary long term status, "longer than 6 months stay"). Whereas spouses of Canadian/PR do not have any direct link as Canadian/PR do not have visas. So the only way to create a direct link to Canadian/PR spouse is through AIP that then establishes a link between them. Once that happens, then the spouse can qualify for health care coverage.

GustavesF

Oct 29, 2014
Category........
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
01-04-2014
AOR Received.
26-01-2015
LANDED..........
08-10-2015
screech339 said:
First of all, unless the spouse/CL is a student or a temporary worker, the spouse of PR/Canadian is first a visitor of Canada, nothing more. As a visitor of Canada, they have no right to provincial health care. Students and Temporary Workers have access to health care due paying taxes / international tuition fees. A visitor does not pay any kind of fees or taxes that grants him/herself access to free medical health care.

As for refugees, I am not up to par as to what/how they get their benefits. I suspects that refugees still need to work in order to get a roof over their head/get food on the table, etc, etc. Thus they also contribute through taxes in some form or another. Like I said, I really don't know what benefits they get and for how long they can retain it. The issue I have with refugees is getting more medical free access than Canadian/PR/student/worker gets such as dental coverage, prescription coverage, etc. That is, in my opinion, wrong. Why should refugees get special treatment while everyone else in Canada has to pay for it out of their own pocket?

The only reason, I think, the spouses of students/temporary workers/refugees are able to get access to medical care is that they have a direct link to the student/worker/refugee visa status (temporary long term status, "longer than 6 months stay"). Whereas spouses of Canadian/PR do not have any direct link as Canadian/PR do not have visas. So the only way to create a direct link to Canadian/PR spouse is through AIP that then establishes a link between them. Once that happens, then the spouse can qualify for health care coverage.
I added some bolding to your post above.

I understand that these temporary workers and students get access to health care via the various things they pay into. It's not spelled out anywhere, but that's what the general feeling is. They pay into it, therefore they deserve it.
What I don't understand, is why there's a feeling that someone being sponsored inland isn't paying for it.

They may not paying for it directly, but someone else is. If they get a Pilot OWP, and they work, they pay income tax but they're still not eligible for OHIP.
If they don't work, then the person sponsoring them is earning income somehow, paying taxes, is not able to split income or anything with them so any tax break is almost negligible.
What about the income I make for my family and the taxes I pay on it?

Again, if it goes back to money there should be some option to pay directly for it, either that or look at my income tax paid and figure it out.

danny87

Star Member
Mar 29, 2015
Ottawa, Ontario
Visa Office......
Mississauga
App. Filed.......
03-03-2015
Doc's Request.
CSQ: 08-07-2015, Received 24-08-2015
AOR Received.
29-03-2015 + 07-05-2015 & OWP rec'd: 19-05-2015, SA: 17-03-2016 & DM: 18-03-2016
Med's Request
Upfront, extended for 1yr by CIC
Med's Done....
26-11-2014
Interview........
Inland
Passport Req..
VISA EXEMPT
LANDED..........
03-05-2016
frenzie2 said:
Hi All,

Thanks
I included the complete package from the checklist (just make more copies of what you already have for the PR application) and I received my OWP within 10 weeks! So I guess I did it right!

It goes in the same envelope, but just keep it separate from the PR application with a little clip or something, or even in an envelope within the envelope. I sent it via FedEx so I would be able to track the package and that it had been received. In this package I separated the package into 3 parts. 1 part was the PR application and the application to sponsor. the second part was additional documentation in addition to the PR application that I just added as additional proof that our relationship has been going on for a few years and is still steady (like letter from the bank with joint account, affidavits from her family attesting to our relationship, pictures from our travels together etc.) and the 3rd part was the application for a work permit. (IMM5710E)

I left details of intended work blank, since you apply for an open work permit as a spouse and do not necessarily have an employer lined up.

I hope this helps you and wish you the best of luck with the entire application. Still stressful on my end haha, waiting for them to decide on your future, what a crazy world we live in.

frenzie2

May 21, 2015
Thanks all for your answers. One last question hopefully.

Like mentioned in my previous post my wife has her student visa expiring at the end of July. Since an OWP may not come for 4 months and it's possible she could be denied an OWP she would then be out of status. If that's the case would it be safe to apply for a Visitor Visa before the Student Visa expires. Does that have any affect on the OWP application?

Thanks again.

GustavesF

Oct 29, 2014
Category........
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
01-04-2014
AOR Received.
26-01-2015
LANDED..........
08-10-2015
frenzie2 said:
Thanks all for your answers. One last question hopefully.

Like mentioned in my previous post my wife has her student visa expiring at the end of July. Since an OWP may not come for 4 months and it's possible she could be denied an OWP she would then be out of status. If that's the case would it be safe to apply for a Visitor Visa before the Student Visa expires. Does that have any affect on the OWP application?

Thanks again.
Unless I'm mistaken, you should have implied status as long as your OWP application was received before her Visitor Visa expires.

frenzie2

May 21, 2015
GustavesF said:
Unless I'm mistaken, you should have implied status as long as your OWP application was received before her Visitor Visa expires.
I believe that is the case too. But what would happen in the event she doesn't get an OWP? (I don't know the odds of that happening) Just trying to cover our bases and make sure she always has status.

Ponga

VIP Member
Oct 22, 2013
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
frenzie2 said:
I believe that is the case too. But what would happen in the event she doesn't get an OWP? (I don't know the odds of that happening) Just trying to cover our bases and make sure she always has status.
The Pilot Program OWP approval is automatic, based simply on CIC receiving the Inland application.

screech339

VIP Member
Apr 2, 2013
Category........
Visa Office......
Vegreville
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
14-08-2012
AOR Received.
20-11-2012
Med's Done....
18-07-2012
Interview........
17-06-2013
LANDED..........
17-06-2013
GustavesF said:
You may be mistaken. This isn't any form of fraud, and the coverage you get has nothing to do with you having any kind of health insurance.

Companies in Canada don't overlap coverage with OHIP. So if you're going to see a doctor, visit the ER, take a ride in an Ambulance, your company coverage doesn't do anything for you anyway.

So, it's perfectly fine to get your spouse covered by your benefits, as long as you realize you'll be out-of-pocket for everything that OHIP would normally cover.

OHIP has nothing to do with your dental, eye, or prescriptions, so if your company covers that there's no reason why your spouse wouldn't be able to get that coverage as well.
Here is an update on spouses having access to employee work benefits. I have sent an message to sunlife directly and here is their response.

My message to sunlife:

Subject: Coverage Enquiries
Date posted: 20 May 2015 at 2:33 p.m. EST

I have a question regarding applicants being added to their spouse's work benefits program.

I was under the impression that in order for an applicant to get on the spouse's work benefits program for dental/prescriptions/eye and such, the spouse must be on a provincial health care
program such as OHIP.

If it is, in fact, true, could you provide me a link or a clause or policy that states this. I haven't been able to find on your sun life website spelling out this eligibility requirement.

I like to relay this information to others who believed that an applicant does not have to be on provincial health care in order to get access to work employee benefits, specifically the spouses of the employee.

Subject: Coverage Enquiries
Message from: Customer Service
Date posted: 22 May 2015 at 12:54 p.m. EST

Thank you for contacting Sun Life Financial. I welcome this opportunity to assist you.

Under the group plan, your dependant must be your spouse or your child and a resident of Canada or the United States. To be eligible, your spouse must be legally married to you, or be your partner of the opposite sex or of the same sex who is publicly represented as your spouse. You can only cover one spouse at a time. To further qualify for Extended Health Care coverage, you and your spouse should be covered under a provincial medicare plan or federal government plan that provides similar benefits. A link for this information is not available online, for which I apologize.

Please note that this information is based on your current contract with Sun Life Financial. If there are changes to your contract or your coverage terminates, you will no longer be eligible for benefits.

Should you require further information or clarification, we encourage you to contact us through our Web site at www.mysunlife.ca or by telephone at 1-800-361-6212. This line is available Monday to Friday from 8 a.m. to 8 p.m. (ET).

Sincerely,

Gail Evans
Customer Care Centre
Sun Life Financial Canada

Ponga

VIP Member
Oct 22, 2013
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
screech339 said:
Under the group plan, your dependant must be your spouse or your child and a resident of Canada or the United States. To be eligible, your spouse must be legally married to you, or be your partner of the opposite sex or of the same sex who is publicly represented as your spouse. You can only cover one spouse at a time. To further qualify for Extended Health Care coverage, you and your spouse should be covered under a provincial medicare plan or federal government plan that provides similar benefits. A link for this information is not available online, for which I apologize.
Gotta love their passive language.

I actually know someone that is an insurance specialist in Canada and deals with Sun Life (and all of the other major insurers) and was told that there's really no continuity! Some people just get lucky.