Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
01-04-2014
AOR Received.
26-01-2015
LANDED..........
08-10-2015
alampasis said:
Yes that's true for Ontario health card.From what I hear they changed the law the last few days.But even though you need a letter from your employer, it's not something that any employer would refuse to give to you.Because it's not bonding him to keep you for 6 months.It's just shows his intention to keep you for at least 6 months.I know it's a bit frustrating but it only concerns Ontario. In New Brunswick where I live you just go with the OWP and Sin and you get your healthcard.Hope you get through this and start working soon:)
This is incredibly dumb.

Well, everyone out there trying to get OHIP with the Pilot Program, I encourage you to write your own letters.
They're basically asking for it.

Ponga

VIP Member
Oct 22, 2013
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
VN said:
Hey guys,

My first post so let me start with saying a big thanks to all of you who take time out and answer questions and help others out.

I recently got married and want to sponsor my wife and was wondering if someone can clarify the following:

1. Is it possible for my wife to get an OWP without being in Canada? Does she have to come here on a visitor visa and then apply for the OWP or can she apply for it while she is still in her country of origin?

2. If it is possible then what is the recommended order, should we apply for PR first and the OWP, the other way around or both at the same time?

3. If OWP is granted and she comes to Canada, does she qualify for health care?

4. If OWP is granted, does it mean that our PR application is considered INLAND and hence it will take longer for the application to be processed?

Thanks!!
1. No. She must be in Canada and must submit an Inland spousal sponsorship application to be eligible. Outland applicants (even those that wish to `wait' IN Canada) do not qualify for the OWP.

2. PR and OWP together if she applies Inland. PR only, if applying Outland.

3. Eligibility requirements varies by Province.

4. YOU determine which application package you want to submit. If you choose Inland, she will be eligible for the OWP.

I suggest that you read the very first thread (sticky) in this forum to get a basic idea of how it works.

Good luck!

VN

May 13, 2015
Category........
Visa Office......
NDVO
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
24-08-2015
Ponga said:
1. No. She must be in Canada and must submit an Inland spousal sponsorship application to be eligible. Outland applicants (even those that wish to `wait' IN Canada) do not qualify for the OWP.

2. PR and OWP together if she applies Inland. PR only, if applying Outland.

3. Eligibility requirements varies by Province.

4. YOU determine which application package you want to submit. If you choose Inland, she will be eligible for the OWP.

I suggest that you read the very first thread (sticky) in this forum to get a basic idea of how it works.

Good luck!
Thanks a lot Ponga! I am reading that sticky thread and there is some great information there...

So just to clarify, she would somehow have to get here (I presume on a visitor visa) and then we apply Inland and for the OWP together?

joeschmo

Sep 25, 2014
Just had an unsettling conversation with an agent, the first time I've actually been able to get through to a human in weeks. I finally got confirmation that my OWP was received on February 16th 2015. PR Spousal sponsorship was received April 2014 and the OWP app was sent in since the formation of the pilot program. The agent also gave me a new confirmation/ID# that starts with a "W". Great. I have no idea what this is supposed to do since I can't figure out where to plug it in on the website. Anway...

Now that they have the OPW app the agent told me it could be September by the time I get my OWP permit which is the same time I should get my AIP. I asked why not within four months and he said there is no guarantee on this. I didn't argue with him because I didn't want to risk a "mark" for being rude or combative on the phone (just being safe) but he said there was never any guarantee of a time line for the pilot, only that now apps can be accepted if the OWP app was not sent in at the same time as the PR app. This seems counter to everything I've been reading and have been told. WTF???

As a side note he said I was sent an email in March requesting a few documents relating to my PR application, email address was confirmed since I've received emails of confirmation to the same address before, but nothing was received in March and there is nothing in my junk box either. I'm worried. about this part.

Anyway, is this agent wrong about the pilot program? I think he is but he's not just wrong, he's WAY wrong. Thoughts? Ideas? Input?

Thank you in advance.

chris1302

Star Member
Sep 12, 2014
ottawa
Category........
Visa Office......
Mississauga
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
Jamesdavid3 said:
I got my healthcare today with my 2 year OWP.

They just need to see that you have been working for 6 months or if you have just started working a letter stating that you will be employed with them for more than 6 months.

It was a easy process and no one should have any trouble getting it..
Thank you James for your experience. Some people here are frustrated that they can not get OHIP right away.
Well go find a job pay and then you get healthcare..makes sense. My husband is still waiting, we're not complaing. It's not the end of the world to wait another couple of mnths.

alampasis

Mar 23, 2015
joeschmo said:
Just had an unsettling conversation with an agent, the first time I've actually been able to get through to a human in weeks. I finally got confirmation that my OWP was received on February 16th 2015. PR Spousal sponsorship was received April 2014 and the OWP app was sent in since the formation of the pilot program. The agent also gave me a new confirmation/ID# that starts with a "W". Great. I have no idea what this is supposed to do since I can't figure out where to plug it in on the website. Anway...

Now that they have the OPW app the agent told me it could be September by the time I get my OWP permit which is the same time I should get my AIP. I asked why not within four months and he said there is no guarantee on this. I didn't argue with him because I didn't want to risk a "mark" for being rude or combative on the phone (just being safe) but he said there was never any guarantee of a time line for the pilot, only that now apps can be accepted if the OWP app was not sent in at the same time as the PR app. This seems counter to everything I've been reading and have been told. WTF???

As a side note he said I was sent an email in March requesting a few documents relating to my PR application, email address was confirmed since I've received emails of confirmation to the same address before, but nothing was received in March and there is nothing in my junk box either. I'm worried. about this part.

Anyway, is this agent wrong about the pilot program? I think he is but he's not just wrong, he's WAY wrong. Thoughts? Ideas? Input?

Thank you in advance.

the agent is half wrong.In the website it says that anyboy who applies for OWP after 22 of December they might have their app processed in 4 months.So it's not 100% sure but most people getting it in 4 months or even less...So keep your faith and hope you'll get it in 4 months...:)

PTJ

Jun 8, 2014
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
joeschmo said:

Thank you in advance.
You will be surprised that if you call again today and speak with another agent, you'll be given another different story. Never believe whatever they told you on that line....most of the agents give wrong advice

chrismgallen

Star Member
Aug 24, 2013
NB, Canada
Category........
Visa Office......
Mississauga
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
19-05-2015
AOR Received.
23-07-2015 OWP Received.: 20-08-2015
Med's Done....
Upfront
Hi folks,

I'm sorry if this is a silly question - I'm sending my OWP application at the same time as my PR application - do I need to send them TWO copies of my ID docs etc, one for the OWP and one for the PR?

Thanks!

PTJ

Jun 8, 2014
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
chrismgallen said:
Hi folks,

I'm sorry if this is a silly question - I'm sending my OWP application at the same time as my PR application - do I need to send them TWO copies of my ID docs etc, one for the OWP and one for the PR?

Thanks!
I will advice you follow the checklist for each application as they're going to different departments. Include all document necessary for each applications and package them separately marking each clearly.

GustavesF

Oct 29, 2014
Category........
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
01-04-2014
AOR Received.
26-01-2015
LANDED..........
08-10-2015
alampasis said:
the agent is half wrong.In the website it says that anyboy who applies for OWP after 22 of December they might have their app processed in 4 months.So it's not 100% sure but most people getting it in 4 months or even less...So keep your faith and hope you'll get it in 4 months...:)
I've confirmed with multiple sources, my MP, my MPP, and a contact at the Service Ontario information center in the OHIP department that there is no such *real requirement* for the "6 months of full time employment" thing. It's something that has always been a requirement for Temporary Foreign Workers, not for those going for Permanent Residence.
Think about it, a foreign worker's employer has a lot of documentation and has fees to pay in order to bring in said worker, there is a legitimate paper trail.

Why have they imagined that requirement in now for everyone else is because we have an OWP and essentially nothing else, but if you dig deep enough you'll find that giving us "Class 27" and "Pending FC APR" (which means the holder of the OWP has an active Family Class Application for Permanent Residence) is what they've done to *ensure* that we will be able to get health care, because as per question 9 of http://www.health.gov.on.ca/en/public/programs/ohip/ohipfaq_mn.aspx

“If you are applying for Ontario health insurance coverage as an Applicant for Permanent Residence, you are required to present written confirmation from Citizenship and Immigration Canada (CIC) that you are eligible to apply for permanent residence in Canada, which may be one of the following :

CIC Confirmation Letter – letter on CIC letterhead addressed to the Applicant for Permanent Residence that confirms that the applicant is eligible to apply for permanent residency in Canada;

CIC Immigration document such as a Work Permit, Visitor Record, Temporary Resident Permit or Study Permit with note in the “Remarks Section” that indicates that you have applied for permanent residence.”
Note the word is "applied", not "has applied and is deemed eligible", not "has applied and is also going to be employed for 6 months", just "applied".

This is the new requirement, the "get a note from your teacher saying you're allowed to get a work permit" has absolutely no bearing on anything. When Ontario Health gets your application they look at the "Pending FC APR" and don't do anything at all with the completely unofficial note. Now, if you were a temporary foreign worker, they'd see your employer and they'd link that with all the other paperwork the employer has submitted in bringing you to Canada, and the fees paid for your health coverage. The employer then is responsible for covering your health care during your waiting period. The process for someone with a pending FC APR is different.

I've tried to dig back and see when the rules were changed, and from what I can tell they were not changed. The people at the local offices just are not used to seeing an OWP before AIP, and that's what's gotten them to ask for useless documentation.

anr8779

Nov 10, 2014
this is more of an FYI for those waiting on health care/ohip

I'm sponsoring my wife for inland PR/owp, while we wait, I added her to my employer benefits. So she has full paid coverage from my employer even tho she is not a Canadian. She has no Canadian documents other then her visitor visa.

You can add spousal benefits regardless of your spouses status in Canada.

screech339

VIP Member
Apr 2, 2013
Category........
Visa Office......
Vegreville
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
14-08-2012
AOR Received.
20-11-2012
Med's Done....
18-07-2012
Interview........
17-06-2013
LANDED..........
17-06-2013
anr8779 said:
this is more of an FYI for those waiting on health care/ohip

I'm sponsoring my wife for inland PR/owp, while we wait, I added her to my employer benefits. So she has full paid coverage from my employer even tho she is not a Canadian. She has no Canadian documents other then her visitor visa.

You can add spousal benefits regardless of your spouses status in Canada.
That is not true. In fact, you may get yourself in trouble. Most insurance companies through work employment will not want anyone on work medical benefits until they are on OHIP first. If the insurance company finds out that your spouse has been using their medical benefits without being out OHIP, they can come after you to give back the money your spouse is not entitled to.

anr8779

Nov 10, 2014
screech339 said:
That is not true. In fact, you may get yourself in trouble. Most insurance companies through work employment will not want anyone on work medical benefits until they are on OHIP first. If the insurance company finds out that your spouse has been using their medical benefits without being out OHIP, they can come after you to give back the money your spouse is not entitled to.
Im not going to get in trouble by anyone.......I have a letter from Sunlife and employer.

We've already used it countless times already too.....Dental, Medical, Pescribs all covered

Only thing she has to pay for are doctor visits/check ups since she has no OHIP, all other fees are covered.

GustavesF

Oct 29, 2014
Category........
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
01-04-2014
AOR Received.
26-01-2015
LANDED..........
08-10-2015
screech339 said:
You may be mistaken. This isn't any form of fraud, and the coverage you get has nothing to do with you having any kind of health insurance.

Companies in Canada don't overlap coverage with OHIP. So if you're going to see a doctor, visit the ER, take a ride in an Ambulance, your company coverage doesn't do anything for you anyway.

So, it's perfectly fine to get your spouse covered by your benefits, as long as you realize you'll be out-of-pocket for everything that OHIP would normally cover.

OHIP has nothing to do with your dental, eye, or prescriptions, so if your company covers that there's no reason why your spouse wouldn't be able to get that coverage as well.

screech339

VIP Member
Apr 2, 2013
Category........
Visa Office......
Vegreville
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
14-08-2012
AOR Received.
20-11-2012
Med's Done....
18-07-2012
Interview........
17-06-2013
LANDED..........
17-06-2013
anr8779 said:
Im not going to get in trouble by anyone.......I have a letter from Sunlife and employer.

We've already used it countless times already too.....Dental, Medical, Pescribs all covered

Only thing she has to pay for are doctor visits/check ups since she has no OHIP, all other fees are covered.
I am honestly surprised that the sunlife allowed it to happen when it is written in their policy that they must be on provincial health coverage first to qualify for work benefits. I was told by my employer the same thing, they also uses sunlife. My wife couldn't get on my work benefits until I have given proof that she is on OHIP first.