+1(514) 937-9445 or Toll-free (Canada & US) +1 (888) 947-9445

one-year pilot OWP for spouses and common-law partners

jesty195

Jul 23, 2013
We sent OWP together with PR inland application on Feb 9 2015. Looked like people who applied in Mar 2015 starting to receive OWP. Hopefully OWP will come out soon. Pray and pray!!!!!

Good luck to everyone!

Lawn Gnome

May 11, 2015
Sent OWP application by mail (my PR application had gone in a couple of months earlier).

Received by CIC: January 12, 2015.
Work permit received (in Vancouver, BC): May 11, 2015.

The system works! (Eventually.)

spiderlily

Apr 2, 2015
I have a question to the ones who received the OWP.

I sent mine in along with the PR application to Mississauga in ApriI. I tracked online that someone signed for the package. Is there any way to check if they are processing the OWP? Is there anything I can do in the meanwhile or is it more or less a waiting game? In 4 months, it will just show up in the mail?

hithere

Feb 8, 2012
This is frustrating. We sent OWP application on January 2 - received on January 5. Still no response from CIC.

When called, agent sent a reminder to the processing region and asked us to follow up in 3 months in case we don't receive it. Its been close to 4 and half months and still no success. I wonder if its just me or someone going through similar situation.

scylla

VIP Member
Jun 8, 2010
Toronto
Category........
Visa Office......
Buffalo
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
28-05-2010
AOR Received.
19-08-2010
File Transfer...
28-06-2010
Passport Req..
01-10-2010
VISA ISSUED...
05-10-2010
LANDED..........
05-10-2010
spiderlily said:
I have a question to the ones who received the OWP.

I sent mine in along with the PR application to Mississauga in ApriI. I tracked online that someone signed for the package. Is there any way to check if they are processing the OWP? Is there anything I can do in the meanwhile or is it more or less a waiting game? In 4 months, it will just show up in the mail?
Unfortunately there's nothing you can do. Yes - it's a waiting game and it will eventually just show up in the mail.

GustavesF

Oct 29, 2014
Category........
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
01-04-2014
AOR Received.
26-01-2015
LANDED..........
08-10-2015
Well we finally got our OWP today, there's a few things I don't quite understand.

At the bottom it states that it's "Pending Family Class Approval". So... what does that mean, that it's not a work permit until we get Family Class approval?

Perhaps with this we'll be eligible for health care in 4 years or so.

alampasis

Mar 23, 2015
GustavesF said:
Well we finally got our OWP today, there's a few things I don't quite understand.

At the bottom it states that it's "Pending Family Class Approval". So... what does that mean, that it's not a work permit until we get Family Class approval?

Perhaps with this we'll be eligible for health care in 4 years or so.
First of all congratulations for the OWP. If you could share details about when you applied and if it was done seperetely from PR it would be much appreciated.Secondly the phrase "Pending Family Class...." means that you have been granted the OWP based on the pilot program and you are pending first step approval to your PR application. It's a good thing because it means you can apply for healthcare

GustavesF

Oct 29, 2014
Category........
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
01-04-2014
AOR Received.
26-01-2015
LANDED..........
08-10-2015
alampasis said:
First of all congratulations for the OWP. If you could share details about when you applied and if it was done seperetely from PR it would be much appreciated.Secondly the phrase "Pending Family Class...." means that you have been granted the OWP based on the pilot program and you are pending first step approval to your PR application. It's a good thing because it means you can apply for healthcare
Thanks for replying, here are my details:

Applied for PR: April 1, 2014
Applied for OWP: January 20, 2015
Received OWP: May 11, 2015

There's one part of your response that I'm a little confused by. You're indicating that since we have the "Pending Family Class" that we are part of the Pilot Program and *can* apply for healthcare.

What I'm hearing from everyone else, including Service Ontario, is that we *can't* apply for healthcare.
I'm hearing that pilot issued OWP's are being turned away by Service Canada.
I'm also hearing some veeeery sketchy and unofficial requirements being asked for.

Like, for example: "a letter saying you're going to work for 6 months full time".
They might as well just ask people to say "I promise I'm going to be working full time, trust me."

It'd be great if anyone has figured out exactly what official documentation they'll accept to allow us Pilot-ers to apply for Health Care.
If anyone has actually been able to apply for Health Care with a Pilot-Issued OWP I'd love to know about it, and what documents were used to assist in doing so.

Jamesdavid3

May 22, 2013
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
I got my healthcare today with my 2 year OWP.

They just need to see that you have been working for 6 months or if you have just started working a letter stating that you will be employed with them for more than 6 months.

It was a easy process and no one should have any trouble getting it..

STHT

Oct 13, 2014
Hello Everyone,

Can someone please offer advice opinion on our situation.

I married my Canadian husband in November 2014.
In January 2015 we sent in an Inland PR application with the OWP application at the same time.
In March 2015 I unfortunately received the OWP application back as "incomplete" which meant no implied status for me :( and by the time we received this letter/application, my visitor status had expired (at the end of February 2015).
Not losing any time we consulted with 2 different CIC agents, who told me that I should resubmit my OWP application to Vegreville and on the same form request restoration of status.
However, not having heard from them for 8 weeks now, started to get concerned and called them again.
The 3rd agent told me that I was advised wrong and that I should apply for the restoration of visitor status while I'm still (barely!) in the 90 day grace period.

Is this the right thing to do? Would that cause confusion with the OWP that I sent in our will it simply get refused?
I am extremely concerned as I just read that as a person, who is out of status, am not eligible to have re-applied for the OWP as I became out of status...
So it definitely seems like the first advice from CIC phone agents was wrong and I should file the restoration request ASAP...

Please share your thoughts, thank you...

Ponga

VIP Member
Oct 22, 2013
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
STHT said:
Hello Everyone,

Can someone please offer advice opinion on our situation.

I married my Canadian husband in November 2014.
In January 2015 we sent in an Inland PR application with the OWP application at the same time.
In March 2015 I unfortunately received the OWP application back as "incomplete" which meant no implied status for me :( and by the time we received this letter/application, my visitor status had expired (at the end of February 2015).
Not losing any time we consulted with 2 different CIC agents, who told me that I should resubmit my OWP application to Vegreville and on the same form request restoration of status.
However, not having heard from them for 8 weeks now, started to get concerned and called them again.
The 3rd agent told me that I was advised wrong and that I should apply for the restoration of visitor status while I'm still (barely!) in the 90 day grace period.

Is this the right thing to do? Would that cause confusion with the OWP that I sent in our will it simply get refused?
I am extremely concerned as I just read that as a person, who is out of status, am not eligible to have re-applied for the OWP as I became out of status...
So it definitely seems like the first advice from CIC phone agents was wrong and I should file the restoration request ASAP...

Please share your thoughts, thank you...
It sounds like the two Call Centre agents were wrong (shocking!), because you cannot simply re-submit an OWP application and also request Restoration of Status; they are two separate forms (with separate fees).

You have no choice now but to apply for ROS [online] and wait for a reply. While you can technically remain in Canada while you wait for a reply, you will not truly have implied status, because your status has already expired, that would make you eligible for the OWP now. Once your status has been restored, you could likely re-apply for the OWP.

STHT

Oct 13, 2014
Ponga said:
It sounds like the two Call Centre agents were wrong (shocking!), because you cannot simply re-submit an OWP application and also request Restoration of Status; they are two separate forms (with separate fees).

You have no choice now but to apply for ROS [online] and wait for a reply. While you can technically remain in Canada while you wait for a reply, you will not truly have implied status, because your status has already expired, that would make you eligible for the OWP now. Once your status has been restored, you could likely re-apply for the OWP.
Thank you for quick reply Ponga, that's what we have come to understand as well...
It's just very unfortunate that we were so misguided, especially since I called twice, explained the situation thoroughly and obviously would have filled a second application form (I mean at that point - who's counting!).

I tried to access the online submission option, however don't seem to get directed to the right page when accessing the link.
Do you perhaps have a direct link to the ROS page for online submission?

Many thanks again.

Ponga

VIP Member
Oct 22, 2013
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
STHT said:
Thank you for quick reply Ponga, that's what we have come to understand as well...
It's just very unfortunate that we were so misguided, especially since I called twice, explained the situation thoroughly and obviously would have filled a second application form (I mean at that point - who's counting!).

I tried to access the online submission option, however don't seem to get directed to the right page when accessing the link.
Do you perhaps have a direct link to the ROS page for online submission?

Many thanks again.
This might be what you need:
http://www.cic.gc.ca/english/information/applications/guides/5551ETOC.asp

...If your temporary resident status has expired, do not apply for an extension as you are not eligible. However, if you wish to stay in Canada after your status has expired you may apply for restoration of status within 90 days of your offence (loss of status) or you must leave Canada. If you wish to apply for restoration, complete the enclosed application providing full details of how you came to commit the offence. There is no guarantee that your application will be accepted. See the section Restoration of Status. ...

After reading this guide, if you believe you are eligible to apply then you should proceed as instructed below:

Gather all the necessary documents. They are listed on the Document Checklist.
Calculate and pay the fees.
Photocopy the blank forms and use one as a working copy. Keep it for your records.
Fill in the forms carefully and completely.
Sign and date your forms.
Mail your application to the Case Processing Centre-Vegreville or
Complete and send your application electronically (you will be required to create a MyCIC profile and to register or log in using GCKey or Sign In Partner)

Good luck!

alampasis

Mar 23, 2015
GustavesF said:
Thanks for replying, here are my details:

Applied for PR: April 1, 2014
Applied for OWP: January 20, 2015
Received OWP: May 11, 2015

There's one part of your response that I'm a little confused by. You're indicating that since we have the "Pending Family Class" that we are part of the Pilot Program and *can* apply for healthcare.

What I'm hearing from everyone else, including Service Ontario, is that we *can't* apply for healthcare.
I'm hearing that pilot issued OWP's are being turned away by Service Canada.
I'm also hearing some veeeery sketchy and unofficial requirements being asked for.

Like, for example: "a letter saying you're going to work for 6 months full time".
They might as well just ask people to say "I promise I'm going to be working full time, trust me."

It'd be great if anyone has figured out exactly what official documentation they'll accept to allow us Pilot-ers to apply for Health Care.
If anyone has actually been able to apply for Health Care with a Pilot-Issued OWP I'd love to know about it, and what documents were used to assist in doing so.

Yes that's true for Ontario health card.From what I hear they changed the law the last few days.But even though you need a letter from your employer, it's not something that any employer would refuse to give to you.Because it's not bonding him to keep you for 6 months.It's just shows his intention to keep you for at least 6 months.I know it's a bit frustrating but it only concerns Ontario. In New Brunswick where I live you just go with the OWP and Sin and you get your healthcard.Hope you get through this and start working soon:)

VN

May 13, 2015
Category........
Visa Office......
NDVO
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
24-08-2015
Hey guys,

My first post so let me start with saying a big thanks to all of you who take time out and answer questions and help others out.

I recently got married and want to sponsor my wife and was wondering if someone can clarify the following:

1. Is it possible for my wife to get an OWP without being in Canada? Does she have to come here on a visitor visa and then apply for the OWP or can she apply for it while she is still in her country of origin?

2. If it is possible then what is the recommended order, should we apply for PR first and the OWP, the other way around or both at the same time?

3. If OWP is granted and she comes to Canada, does she qualify for health care?

4. If OWP is granted, does it mean that our PR application is considered INLAND and hence it will take longer for the application to be processed?

Thanks!!