+1(514) 937-9445 or Toll-free (Canada & US) +1 (888) 947-9445

One year Master's - Good way to get more CRS points?

Simmidas

Mar 19, 2019
Hi Everyone..I am also planning for Crandall University next year. I am also 38 now. I got 10+ years of experience in Business development.
There are few things I am worried about
1. Crandall has got poor ranking. 92 out of 98 universities in Canada
2. It is a private university.

I am also looking at Thomson Rivers University which has got good ranking and also costs the same as compared to Crandall. But the ranking is good and is a public university.

What do you guys think about it.
Do not go for private universities.. apply to any public university.

Reactions: abhijeetsingh2218

Simmidas

Mar 19, 2019
Here are few things which I can suggest based on my experience and I can understand the stakes here as I am also in the same situation with 14 years of exp.
- Check your probable score using CRS tool and see the scores if that is enough after completing 1 years masters.
- If you think that 1 years masters (3 terms) will not get you enough score, go for 16 months master program (4 terms) and this will fetch you 3 years PGWP.
- Apply to those provinces where the PNP options are good enough for international students. For e.g. BC PNP, Atlantic Provinces PNP, AIPP and so on
- At 35+ with so much of experience, it is not only the admission in a university that matters but Visa should also get approved. Therefore, I would suggest to take up programs which is a leadership program or MBA

Hope this helps!

mirza1010

Sep 3, 2019
India
Hi.

I would suggest take a program longer than 1 year. With 1 year program you get only 1 year work permit. In case you dont get a job immediately, it would be difficult to add points for 1 year experience. With 16 months or more program, you get 3 year pgwp which gives time to plan things

Reactions: abhijeetsingh2218

abhijeetsingh2218

Feb 11, 2015
Here are few things which I can suggest based on my experience and I can understand the stakes here as I am also in the same situation with 14 years of exp.
- Check your probable score using CRS tool and see the scores if that is enough after completing 1 years masters.
- If you think that 1 years masters (3 terms) will not get you enough score, go for 16 months master program (4 terms) and this will fetch you 3 years PGWP.
- Apply to those provinces where the PNP options are good enough for international students. For e.g. BC PNP, Atlantic Provinces PNP, AIPP and so on
- At 35+ with so much of experience, it is not only the admission in a university that matters but Visa should also get approved. Therefore, I would suggest to take up programs which is a leadership program or MBA

Hope this helps!
Absolutely. whatever you have mentioned is absolutely correct. I am planning for a 2 year master's programme in BC. I am preparing for Sep 2021.
I researched a lot about this and came to the same conclusion. Thanks a lot.

abhijeetsingh2218

Feb 11, 2015
Hi.

I would suggest take a program longer than 1 year. With 1 year program you get only 1 year work permit. In case you dont get a job immediately, it would be difficult to add points for 1 year experience. With 16 months or more program, you get 3 year pgwp which gives time to plan things
True. Thank you. I am planning the same. :)

abhijeetsingh2218

Feb 11, 2015
Do not go for private universities.. apply to any public university.
Yes. Very true. In private universities you get admissions very easily. Infact i am in touch with the student representative of Crandall University and they claim to release the offer letter within 24 hours.
Thank you.

Reactions: ashucan

ashucan

Jan 20, 2019
Yes. Very true. In private universities you get admissions very easily. Infact i am in touch with the student representative of Crandall University and they claim to release the offer letter within 24 hours.
Thank you.
I am a practicing professional in India since 2015 and holding an accounting technician certificate, I applied for Crandall University, at first the consultant said my application for refused and he'll get it through using his contacts. I got offer letter from University Canada West too meanwhile.
I am on a strict budget and cannot afford to lose either a year or a penny more than that, I have been looking for public universities for Master's course, suggestions are much appreciated. Also I plan to now apply all by myself even the Visa.

Petito

Star Member
Oct 5, 2020
I am a practicing professional in India since 2015 and holding an accounting technician certificate, I applied for Crandall University, at first the consultant said my application for refused and he'll get it through using his contacts. I got offer letter from University Canada West too meanwhile.
I am on a strict budget and cannot afford to lose either a year or a penny more than that, I have been looking for public universities for Master's course, suggestions are much appreciated. Also I plan to now apply all by myself even the Visa.
is that good university? interested

ashucan

Jan 20, 2019
is that good university? interested
The reason to opt for this University is the Province and the Duration of the given course, for the University thing I believe Level and quality of education must be not that much different than other Universities in the Country. Possible challange is to find a Job right after the course to gain experience.
Suggestions much appreciated.
Also if going for this University is it a better option to stay in University Residences or to opt for accommodation otherwise than that of the University?

Oct 20, 2020
Even I got admission for the 2 year program starting January 2021. However, I only want 1 year program since I will have 482 points by 2022 when the course is completed. I guess that will be enough for me. But wanted to ask you about what my consultant mentioned which was I have to be physically present in Canada to claim points. Is this true? Also, if you have more than 5 years gap from graduation there will be difficulty in getting visa for 1 year masters? Thanks in Advance

Simmidas

Mar 19, 2019
Even I got admission for the 2 year program starting January 2021. However, I only want 1 year program since I will have 482 points by 2022 when the course is completed. I guess that will be enough for me. But wanted to ask you about what my consultant mentioned which was I have to be physically present in Canada to claim points. Is this true? Also, if you have more than 5 years gap from graduation there will be difficulty in getting visa for 1 year masters? Thanks in Advance
This is still a grey area, I may not be able to give a concrete answer for CRS. However for BCPNP IPG steam 50% rule is still applicable. I know this as my university is in BC and got the confirmation. IRCC rule are constantly changing, what is applicable today may not be tomorrow. Regarding 5 years GAP, this may not be true. Mine is a one year master's and several international students received their AIPs and some even pp stamped for Jan 2021 intake.

Ironclad

Champion Member
Aug 17, 2020
Canada
This is still a grey area, I may not be able to give a concrete answer for CRS. However for BCPNP IPG steam 50% rule is still applicable. I know this as my university is in BC and got the confirmation. IRCC rule are constantly changing, what is applicable today may not be tomorrow. Regarding 5 years GAP, this may not be true. Mine is a one year master's and several international students received their AIPs and some even pp stamped for Jan 2021 intake.
Wish you the best, good luck getting your SP approved.

Last edited:

abhijeetsingh2218

Feb 11, 2015
Hi Ashu,
You can try for Royal Roads University in BC. Its a public university and is focused on business studies.
Thanks.

tarun.patel

Star Member
Jun 27, 2018
HI Guys,

i have also applied for Master in Management at Crandall University for May-21 intake.
Does it help for NBPNP or AIPP program?