+1(514) 937-9445 or Toll-free (Canada & US) +1 (888) 947-9445

One year Master's - Good way to get more CRS points?

shivendra1404

Feb 4, 2020
I have been offered an admission into Master of organizational management (full-time, 30 credit hours) by Crandall University; however, I have some queries regarding the credentials it is going to offer.

In general, Master's programmes run for two academic years but it is a program that runs for only one academic year. Will it be recognized as a legitimate Master's degree? Or it is considered as a post-graduation sort of a course.

I wish to come to Canada on a study visa in order to plan my Permanent residence, and i am really worried if this course would fetch the same CRS scores as other two-year Master programmes like MBA, Msc do?

Can anyone help me with this? It seems a very good way to get more CRS with just one course if it is recognized by CIC as a Master's program.

canuck78

VIP Member
Jun 18, 2017
I have been offered an admission into Master of organizational management (full-time, 30 credit hours) by Crandall University; however, I have some queries regarding the credentials it is going to offer.

In general, Master's programmes run for two academic years but it is a program that runs for only one academic year. Will it be recognized as a legitimate Master's degree? Or it is considered as a post-graduation sort of a course.

I wish to come to Canada on a study visa in order to plan my Permanent residence, and i am really worried if this course would fetch the same CRS scores as other two-year Master programmes like MBA, Msc do?

Can anyone help me with this? It seems a very good way to get more CRS with just one course if it is recognized by CIC as a Master's program.
If it is only a 1 year program you will only get 1 year PGWP. It should count as a masters for CRS.

Johnsnow 007

Champion Member
Jan 6, 2018
Nigeria

If a PR is the main aim, you should consider enrolling for another 1yr program prior before the completion of the first.

BTW a Master is a Master.

Reactions: shivendra1404

AskBD

Star Member
May 27, 2019
I'm planning for a 1 year program as well as my employer will give me sabbatical leave for a year of study. But nevertheless it us very convenient if you study for 1 more year to get 3 years of PGWP. Now think how to make it happen. I'm working on it..

Reactions: shivendra1404

GURPREET9149

Feb 10, 2020
applied for which intake??? bcz i have also same program

shivendra1404

Feb 4, 2020
If a PR is the main aim, you should consider enrolling for another 1yr program prior before the completion of the first.

BTW a Master is a Master.
That is what I am upto. I have foreign work experience in Banking and finance for more than 5 years and my current CRS is just 397. I am planning the PR like this -

1. Complete a Masters (if this 1 yr course fetches Master credentials fron CIC).
2. Get post graduate work permit of 1 yr and work in the related field.

If everything goes as planned my CRS after 2 years will be 507. I think thats a safe score.

The only problem I see here is to get a job in the related field. Because your job has to be in related field and atleast for 12 months. After completion of the course if i miss out on getting the job just by 1 or 2 months i won't get the points for canadian wek experience and my CRS would be only 417.

What do you suggest in that situation. Note that I am on a strict budget and i just can't afford a two year course to get 3 year work permit.

shivendra1404

Feb 4, 2020
I'm planning for a 1 year program as well as my employer will give me sabbatical leave for a year of study. But nevertheless it us very convenient if you study for 1 more year to get 3 years of PGWP. Now think how to make it happen. I'm working on it..
Exactly. What i think is like this -
1. Study for 1 yr (preferably Master's) and get one year work permit.
2. Get a job immediately (to get points for canadian work experience)

The problem could be that you may find it difficult to get a job right after the post-graduation. And additionally the job has to be in the related field only.

Proposed solution - towards the end of the course if you have not been able to secure a job, better apply for another course (in case there are any short 12-16 weeks courses available). Now you will get a work permit of 1.4 - 1.6 years as your studies have got extended. I guess it would work.

AskBD

Star Member
May 27, 2019
That is what I am upto. I have foreign work experience in Banking and finance for more than 5 years and my current CRS is just 397. I am planning the PR like this -

1. Complete a Masters (if this 1 yr course fetches Master credentials fron CIC).

If everything goes as planned my CRS after 2 years will be 507. I think thats a safe score.

The only problem I see here is to get a job in the related field. Because your job has to be in related field and atleast for 12 months. After completion of the course if i miss out on getting the job just by 1 or 2 months i won't get the points for canadian wek experience and my CRS would be only 417.

What do you suggest in that situation. Note that I am on a strict budget and i just can't afford a two year course to get 3 year work permit.
Your case similar to mine. Having 13 years of banking experience.. Age now is 38 years.. I'm late to do such experiments.. Gonna cost me really high if something goes bad..

Impatient Dankaroo

VIP Member
Jan 10, 2020

I would look away from Ontario. Places like BC have 'Tech Pilot' program which automatically gives you PNP nomination status without a job offer or anything else. Alberta and other regions may have something similar and I think you should do your research. If you are banking on finding a job straight away in Ontario, I would think again. It is probably the most competitive area for 'white collar' jobs that I know since everyone is extremely qualified. Your age, foreign experience and 1 year permit will probably work against you as well.

abhijeetsingh2218

Feb 11, 2015
Hi Everyone..I am also planning for Crandall University next year. I am also 38 now. I got 10+ years of experience in Business development.
There are few things I am worried about
1. Crandall has got poor ranking. 92 out of 98 universities in Canada
2. It is a private university.

I am also looking at Thomson Rivers University which has got good ranking and also costs the same as compared to Crandall. But the ranking is good and is a public university.

What do you guys think about it.