+1(514) 937-9445 or Toll-free (Canada & US) +1 (888) 947-9445

one way ticket

sunnyinlombardy

Star Member
Mar 30, 2013
bigredmoose said:
They could very well have done it the way you're intending to. I'm just pointing out that there are risks.

Other people get student visas, working holiday, etc and then apply inland.
You are right, we should just get a round trip ticket for after 6 months. I just wish it wasn't so difficult. When I got married here in Italy, the process was so simple and after 3 months I had my PR.

mrs.sweden

Star Member
Oct 15, 2014
Category........
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
I have traveld to Canada on a one-way ticket before and it was never a problem, might be though because they were able to see my past travel history in Canada and that I have always left on time? But I def think it's a good idea to be able to show that you have funds to be able to buy a new ticket home incase your visa cant be extended or so. Me and my husband are planning on buying a one-way ticket, we are traveling together so he can insure them that he will support me incase my PR is not done by then. We are also planning on having copies of our PR application, receipts and so to be able to show that it wont be long until the PR is approved.

Panamai

Oct 3, 2013
Kingston, Ontario
Category........
FAM
Visa Office......
Ottawa
App. Filed.......
29-01-2015
AOR Received.
28-03-2015
File Transfer...
31-03-2015
Med's Request
upfront
Med's Done....
16-01-2015
Interview........
waived
Passport Req..
DM 05-11-2015
VISA ISSUED...
17-11-2015
LANDED..........
23-11-2015
When I first 'moved' to Canada, I came on a one-way ticket. I've travelled to and from US on a round-trip, ending in Canada as well. I've not had any issues, but then again, I have a Nexus card. The kiosks don't ever question me. :) I suppose it's safer to buy a round-trip, but I'm sure CBSA knows that having a round-trip doesn't mean much when it can be so easily cancelled. I think the bigger thing is just to focus on how you'll answer questions. If you are bringing him to Canada to apply inland, you are doing nothing wrong. Just be honest with them. Do they really expect you to return home without your husband? That's illogical. Just make sure that you both demonstrate that you are aware of the rules and intend to follow them.

taffy7

Champion Member
May 23, 2013
Category........
Visa Office......
London
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
10th April 2014/June 10th 2014 application complete
Doc's Request.
09 June 2014 same doc's requested again 6th Oct 2014. docs not needed again mistake by cic
AOR Received.
sponsorship approval 05 Aug 2014
File Transfer...
05 Aug 2014
Med's Request
28 July 2015
Med's Done....
30th Dec 2013
Passport Req..
in process 18th July 2015/ DM 5/12/2015
LANDED..........
28/12/2015
We are not trying to attack you just arming you with all the information so your husband can stay in Canada and don't get a return order. My husband has also come many times while our application is in process and has had no trouble,but i am terrified every time they will think he is going to over stay and work illegal.

Panamai they have no heart .

sunnyinlombardy

Star Member
Mar 30, 2013
Thanks everyone! We decided to buy a return ticket because the difference in price is like 50 euros so to save my nerves, we'll buy round tickets. I'm also worried if they ask if we are planning on applying for PR, and we say yes that they will make a problem of it. I know we are not doing anything but still the whole thing is scary. Last time, they never asked anything but we had a round trip ticket.

Jonesy319

Star Member
Jul 28, 2014
Elstead, England
Category........
Visa Office......
London
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
09-12-2014
AOR Received.
21-02-2015
Med's Done....
05-11-2014
sunnyinlombardy said:
Thanks everyone! We decided to buy a return ticket because the difference in price is like 50 euros so to save my nerves, we'll buy round tickets. I'm also worried if they ask if we are planning on applying for PR, and we say yes that they will make a problem of it. I know we are not doing anything but still the whole thing is scary. Last time, they never asked anything but we had a round trip ticket.
It comes down to serendipity and who your agent is when you cross the border. It's better to be prepared and all the advice here is geared towards helping you through the worst-case scenario.

You may get an agent who is at the end of her shift, tired, wants to go home and doesn't ask you too many questions. You may also get a new agent who's eager to prove how good he is and he asks you lots of questions.

From all that I have read here (I am Canadian sponsoring my partner, I initially immigrated to Canada in 1997 so went through the process myself) it's best to be honest with them, take your paperwork with you, tell them at the border you are applying for PR for your partner. Show he has a return ticket and that he has every intention to leave should he not get PR. The facts are easily checked by CIC anyway so you may as well be honest.

Good plan to get the return ticket.

I will be doing the same too in August, my partner's application is in process and if he is not approved by then we'll have a return ticket. He will also have only one suitcase. We'll be shipping goods in my name to Canada.

Good luck
Jonesy

epmarshall

Oct 11, 2014
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
Jonesy319 said:
From all that I have read here (I am Canadian sponsoring my partner, I initially immigrated to Canada in 1997 so went through the process myself) it's best to be honest with them, take your paperwork with you, tell them at the border you are applying for PR for your partner. Show he has a return ticket and that he has every intention to leave should he not get PR. The facts are easily checked by CIC anyway so you may as well be honest.

Good plan to get the return ticket.

I will be doing the same too in August, my partner's application is in process and if he is not approved by then we'll have a return ticket. He will also have only one suitcase. We'll be shipping goods in my name to Canada.

Good luck
Jonesy
This is something that's confused me for a while. When would such a return ticket be dated for? Would it be for 6 months after entering Canada? Or is it dated near the end of the wait for PR, if that can even be judged? I'm just wondering because I've heard before that the border officers don't like it when you come in with a return ticket that's dated 6 months away or longer, but maybe it's different once your PR app is in process.

rhcohen2014

VIP Member
Apr 6, 2014
Category........
Visa Office......
Ottawa
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
March 17, 2014
Doc's Request.
April 11, 2014
AOR Received.
May 8, 2014
File Transfer...
May 9, 2014
Med's Request
upfront
Med's Done....
Nov 15, 2013
Interview........
waived
Passport Req..
July 15, 2014
VISA ISSUED...
July 25, 2014/ received August 1, 2014
LANDED..........
August 29, 2014
epmarshall said:
Would it be for 6 months after entering Canada?
yes, it should be dated within 6 months of the current entry date. having a return ticket for more than the "Allowed" time in canada as a visitor will also raise suspicion and wouldn't do any good.

epmarshall

Oct 11, 2014
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
rhcohen2014 said:
yes, it should be dated within 6 months of the current entry date. having a return ticket for more than the "Allowed" time in canada as a visitor will also raise suspicion and wouldn't do any good.
Thanks for clearing that up.

Jonesy319

Star Member
Jul 28, 2014
Elstead, England
Category........
Visa Office......
London
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
09-12-2014
AOR Received.
21-02-2015
Med's Done....
05-11-2014
rhcohen2014 said:
some airlines won't issue you with an 'open' return ticket or one beyond that country's visa exempt stay so for Canada, from Europe, within 6 months is the timeframe the return could be set for.

Buy one which won't cost you much to change the return date, (they are usually more expensive but it's worth it rather than paying for another ticket) that way if the stay is beyond 6 months and the person's stay gets extended by CIC, the return ticket can be changed for a later date too.
Jonesy