+1(514) 937-9445 or Toll-free (Canada & US) +1 (888) 947-9445

One Sided Divorce - PR Impact

Jay Lampua

Nov 17, 2018
Hi,

My wife and I were going through challenging times - in part because of the immigration process - before moving to Canada.

She informed me that she did not want to move to Canada and did not want me to move to Canada either.

To cut a long story short, after multiple threats, she handed over my passport to me on the last day of submission for CoPR stamping and withdrew her application for PR status (I was primary applicant).

After I landed in Canada, I received a court summons (in India) asking me to be present for divorce proceedings. The date of filing the divorce petition is before I traveled to Canada, however I only received the court summons while I was in Canada.

I did not know about the filing of divorce before I traveled to Canada and did not hide any information available with me from the Immigration authorities.

Can my PR be revoked in this case? Are there any challenges to my PR status that my wife can file to get me deported?

Please help. Any information at all is appreciated.

Thanks,
Jay

navinball

VIP Member
Feb 26, 2018
In your RFV email to submit passports, there is a list of 'change of circumstances'. Do you see 'filing of divorce' or 'seperation proceedings' in it? If not you are all clear.

Jay Lampua

Nov 17, 2018
In your RFV email to submit passports, there is a list of 'change of circumstances'. Do you see 'filing of divorce' or 'seperation proceedings' in it? If not you are all clear.
Hi

In the RFV, it mentions 'Change in marital status, for example due to marriage, divorce, annulment or death'.

I'm still legally married, the divorce petition has not yet been heard, and everyone involved is still alive. Furthermore, I wasn't aware of the divorce petition being filed - it is going to be rejected (for other reasons), in any case.

Does anyone know of a similar case, or has heard / seen something like this go through?

Best,
Jay

navinball

VIP Member
Feb 26, 2018
Then there is nothing to be worried. You are not divorced yet. Your soon to be ex can't do anything to harm your PR status.

YVR123

VIP Member
Jul 27, 2017
Could you please provide an update on your case ? How did it go ? As i’m facing the same situation
If you are in the SAME situation, you don't have to worry. (If you are the PA and landed without your spouse that is filing for a divorce)