+1(514) 937-9445 or Toll-free (Canada & US) +1 (888) 947-9445

One day discrepancy in Residence Calculator

gammabeta79

Mar 17, 2015
Hi,

I had left Canada on 28th Dec 2012 (flight left at 5pm) and returned back on 9th January 2013 (around noon). So in residence calculator I declared my absences from Dec 29-2012 to January 08, 2013. This calculates to 11 days i.e. 3 days in December 2012 (29,30,31) and eight days in January 2013 (1,2,3,4,5,6,7,8). However residence calculator calculate it as 10 days

I had specified 11 days in my PR card renewal application. I think its not counting the end day i.e. 8th of January (but if this true then this is incorrect as I was out of Canada on January 8th).

I am not asking this question to meet 1095 days as I have enough buffer over 1095 days, but I am wondering if I am making an error in the residence calculator. Thanks in advance.

alphazip

Champion Member
May 23, 2013
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
gammabeta79 said:
Hi,

I had left Canada on 28th Dec 2012 (flight left at 5pm) and returned back on 9th January 2013 (around noon). So in residence calculator I declared my absences from Dec 29-2012 to January 08, 2013. This calculates to 11 days i.e. 3 days in December 2012 (29,30,31) and eight days in January 2013 (1,2,3,4,5,6,7,8). However residence calculator calculate it as 10 days

I had specified 11 days in my PR card renewal application. I think its not counting the end day i.e. 8th of January (but if this true then this is incorrect as I was out of Canada on January 8th).

I am not asking this question to meet 1095 days as I have enough buffer over 1095 days, but I am wondering if I am making an error in the residence calculator. Thanks in advance.
In the Residence Calculator, you report the day you left (28 December 2012) and the day you returned (9 January 2013). Either the day you left OR the day you returned is counted as an absence, but not both. So, you were gone from Canada for 12 days.

gammabeta79

Mar 17, 2015
alphazip said:
In the Residence Calculator, you report the day you left (28 December 2012) and the day you returned (9 January 2013). Either the day you left OR the day you returned is counted as an absence, but not both. So, you were gone from Canada for 12 days.
Thanks for the reply. Following is the link for anyone who wants to read further.
https://eservices.cic.gc.ca/rescalc/redir.do?redir=faq#Q2

I had this calculated as 11 days (instead of 12 days) in my PR application. Do you think this discrepancy will cause problem?

Thanks in advance.

thecoolguysam

VIP Member
May 25, 2011
Canada
gammabeta79 said:
Thanks for the reply. I remember reading like this somewhere. However, do you have any source from CIC where you found this information? And secondly during my PR renewal I had put this as 11 days and NOT 12 days (got PR card without any hassle). But had nicely written a note as above. However I am wondering if now I specify as 12 days won't it be discrepancy from earlier application?

So to confirm the dates of absences in Residence calculator are: From date is (day you left Canada) and To date is (Date you entered Canada).
You need to mention exact date when you left canada (not the date when you reached other country) and the return date when you entered canada(not the date when you left the other country).

In residence calculator you should have mentioned Left Canada: 28th December 2012 and Returned to Canada 9th January 2013.

Online residence calculator is correct.

kingcobra123

Nov 9, 2014
gammabeta79 said:
Hi,

As long as your entry and exit dates in PR card application and Citizenship application are consistent (1 day off in calculating the days in PR card application will not matter) . That is my take though. May be experts can comment on this.

low

Star Member
Dec 31, 2009
Hi seniors...about the online residence calculator, does it matter if the dates are sequenced from oldest absences to most current absences. Or, it has to be from most current absences to oldest?

Also, I had some travels which included overnight transits and short vacations in the USA. But, the final destination is my home country. Should I list out my overnights transits and vacations under " reasons" but "destination = home country"?

Lastly, my photos turned out to be about 2mm smaller than the requirement of 35x45mm. Should I have it re-taken? I have thrown away the receipt not knowing about the mistake until a few days ago.

Thanks

thecoolguysam

VIP Member
May 25, 2011
Canada
low said:
Hi seniors...about the online residence calculator, does it matter if the dates are sequenced from oldest absences to most current absences. Or, it has to be from most current absences to oldest?

Also, I had some travels which included overnight transits and short vacations in the USA. But, the final destination is my home country. Should I list out my overnights transits and vacations under " reasons" but "destination = home country"?

Lastly, my photos turned out to be about 2mm smaller than the requirement of 35x45mm. Should I have it re-taken? I have thrown away the receipt not knowing about the mistake until a few days ago.

Thanks
I think when you enter the info the information can store in whatever sequence you enter however when you print it, it will print it in sequence. Give it a try and see how it prints else recreate the entries again

Yes, mention the overnight stays in reason and destination = home country (provide genuine, complete, accurate reasons)

Its better not to take chance regarding the photos. Get it done either at costco or london drugs or a professional photographer. Its just a matter of few dollars. At least if you send photos of proper specifications, your application won't be returned because of that.