+1(514) 937-9445 or Toll-free (Canada & US) +1 (888) 947-9445

One affidavit per translation?

rodriarano

Nov 12, 2011
Hi all.

What I'd like to know is that.
We have two documents translated from spanish to english (my birth certificate and my police records from Argentina).
The translator is from Quebec (where we live). I understand that, even if he is part of the Order of translators of Quebec, we need him to go be sworn at a lawyer's office. Is that right? (coz I just read in a post that if it's a professional translator, the affidavit is not necessary... I don't think so!)

Do we need one affidavit per document or we can have one affidavit that includes both documents?

Thank you all for the help!

PMM

VIP Member
Jun 30, 2005
Hi

rodriarano said:
Hi all.

What I'd like to know is that.
We have two documents translated from spanish to english (my birth certificate and my police records from Argentina).
The translator is from Quebec (where we live). I understand that, even if he is part of the Order of translators of Quebec, we need him to go be sworn at a lawyer's office. Is that right? (coz I just read in a post that if it's a professional translator, the affidavit is not necessary... I don't think so!)

Do we need one affidavit per document or we can have one affidavit that includes both documents?

Thank you all for the help!
The translator certifies each document that s/he has translated them. You don't require a lawyer.

rodriarano

Nov 12, 2011
PMM said:
Hi

The translator certifies each document that s/he has translated them. You don't require a lawyer.
Then why on the guide (IMM 3999E) it says:

Translation of documents

Any document that is not in English or French must be accompanied by:

the English or French translation; and
an affidavit from the person who completed the translation; and
a certified copy of the document.

Note: An affidavit is a document on which the translator has sworn, in the presence of a commissioner authorized to administer oaths in the country in which the translator is living, that the contents of their translation are a true translation and representation of the contents of the original document.
Translations by family members are not acceptable.

PMM

VIP Member
Jun 30, 2005
Hi

rodriarano said:

Translation of documents

Note: An affidavit is a document on which the translator has sworn, in the presence of a commissioner authorized to administer oaths in the country in which the translator is living, that the contents of their translation are a true translation and representation of the contents of the original document.
The translator certifies the document that s/he translated the document.

itscoezy

Dec 20, 2010
Puerto Vallarta
Category........
Visa Office......
Mexico City
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
09-05-2012
Doc's Request.
10-10-2012
AOR Received.
10-10-2012
File Transfer...
07-08-2012
Med's Done....
10-04-2012
Interview........
20-11-2012
Passport Req..
03-01-2013
rodriarano said:

Translation of documents

In the IMM 3999E guide that you mentioned, you didn't read the entire note, it states:
Note: An affidavit is a document on which the translator has sworn, in the presence of a commissioner authorized to administer oaths in the country in which the translator is living, that the contents of their translation are a true translation and representation of the contents of the original document. Translators who are certified members in good standing of one of the provincial or territorial organizations of translators and interpreters of Canada do not need to supply an affidavit.

It sounds as if you have one that is already certified, if you do - you do not need an affidavit.