+1(514) 937-9445 or Toll-free (Canada & US) +1 (888) 947-9445

One (1) year program advantage in IT field

lorerodri

Feb 10, 2013
Category........
NOC Code......
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
HI guys, i was trying to figure it out what is more convenient to study, an one (1) or 2 year program????

2 year program is about CAD$35,000 on total expenses, but a 1 year program is around CAD$25,000.....CAD$10,000 on savings.

Breakdown ****

1 or 2 year program:
if you start in September of any year you spend 20 months (include 1 spring break)
but, if you start in January of any year you spend 24 months (include 2 spring break), 4 months more mean more expenses on home-stay and food.

If you complete a 1 year program in technology e.g., and apply for the PGWP, i'm sure you'll have a great opportunity to get a job in less than 8 months, once you get a permanent job and your studies completed you'll be able to apply through one of the provincial nominee programs out there.

Please share your comments about this alternative

NemesisBR

Star Member
Sep 17, 2015
Category........
CEC
Visa Office......
Winnipeg
NOC Code......
App. Filed.......
21-06-2018
Interview........
14-08-2018
Passport Req..
14-08-2018 ?
I'll share what I'm doing...

I'll take 1 year Technology Management on Winnipeg's Red River College.
There you'll be able to apply for Manitoba's PNP after working 6 months during your PWGP period.

Please do some research about it, it really worth the try, even thinking that Winnipeg is one of the coldest cities... but really.. who cares? :p
It has cheaper rental than other cities/provinces, among many other benefits.

Cheers.

lorerodri

Feb 10, 2013
Category........
NOC Code......
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
NemesisBR said:
I'll share what I'm doing...

I'll take 1 year Technology Management on Winnipeg's Red River College.
There you'll be able to apply for Manitoba's PNP after working 6 months during your PWGP period.

Please do some research about it, it really worth the try, even thinking that Winnipeg is one of the coldest cities... but really.. who cares? :p
It has cheaper rental than other cities/provinces, among many other benefits.

Cheers.
Thanks for sharing, and i agree with you, Winnipeg is called "Winterpeg" ;D

Can you please tell me when did you start that college program? and how long did it take to have your PGWP?

NemesisBR

Star Member
Sep 17, 2015
Category........
CEC
Visa Office......
Winnipeg
NOC Code......
App. Filed.......
21-06-2018
Interview........
14-08-2018
Passport Req..
14-08-2018 ?
Actually I will start on September.

But as I saw, the dates does not differ much from the other provinces.

lorerodri

Feb 10, 2013
Category........
NOC Code......
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
NemesisBR said:
Actually I will start on September.

But as I saw, the dates does not differ much from the other provinces.
Ok, i noticed that this program is not so expensive (CAD$10,000) +

http://me.rrc.mb.ca/Catalogue/ProgramDatesAndFees.aspx?ProgCode=TECMF-AD&RegionCode=WPG

What i want to study in Lambton College is around 12000 to 14000 :mad:

http://www.lambtoncollege.ca/custom/LambtonApps/Programs/International.aspx?id=2147510946&type=TF

bis_86

Star Member
Mar 11, 2014
lorerodri said:
Ok, i noticed that this program is not so expensive (CAD$10,000) +

http://me.rrc.mb.ca/Catalogue/ProgramDatesAndFees.aspx?ProgCode=TECMF-AD&RegionCode=WPG

What i want to study in Lambton College is around 12000 to 14000 :mad:

http://www.lambtoncollege.ca/custom/LambtonApps/Programs/International.aspx?id=2147510946&type=TF
a typical two year Msc in SFU/UVic costs almost same or less.(possible funds as TA/RA so that makes the cost even lower)
Pros - you get an Msc degree from a reputed university which makes u more desirable to an employer
cons - you have to study actually

velveteen

Star Member
Jun 8, 2015
Category........
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
11-15-2015
AOR Received.
11-15-2015
lorerodri said:
HI guys, i was trying to figure it out what is more convenient to study, an one (1) or 2 year program????

2 year program is about CAD$35,000 on total expenses, but a 1 year program is around CAD$25,000.....CAD$10,000 on savings.

Breakdown ****

1 or 2 year program:
if you start in September of any year you spend 20 months (include 1 spring break)
but, if you start in January of any year you spend 24 months (include 2 spring break), 4 months more mean more expenses on home-stay and food.

If you complete a 1 year program in technology e.g., and apply for the PGWP, i'm sure you'll have a great opportunity to get a job in less than 8 months, once you get a permanent job and your studies completed you'll be able to apply through one of the provincial nominee programs out there.

Hi,
I am not sure if you already have a bachelor's degree. However, if you do, I would highly suggest pursuing a Master's program instead (many Universities have course-based Master's programs that are from 1 to 2 yr duration).
Pros of a Master's degree instead of a diploma:
1. Master's programs are usually offered in Universities, have much better infrastructure, resources, facilities, and placements
2. Possibly eaier to get a stuy permit if you can get admitted to a University
3. Many provinces have PNP programs for Master's graduates (no experience required)
4. Last but not the least: You are actually advancing your education and not just wasting time & resources on a token diploma.

Applying:
In general, immigration consultants advise you against applying to Universities and advertise for colleges (for which they get huge commissions by the way). Actually, it is not that difficult to apply to a Uni. Uni system is usually more transparent and well laid out - you probably will need to have references though.
Good luck!

lorerodri

Feb 10, 2013
Category........
NOC Code......
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
velveteen said:
lorerodri said:

Breakdown ****

1 or 2 year program:

Hi,
I am not sure if you already have a bachelor's degree. However, if you do, I would highly suggest pursuing a Master's program instead (many Universities have course-based Master's programs that are from 1 to 2 yr duration).
Pros of a Master's degree instead of a diploma:
1. Master's programs are usually offered in Universities, have much better infrastructure, resources, facilities, and placements
2. Possibly eaier to get a stuy permit if you can get admitted to a University
3. Many provinces have PNP programs for Master's graduates (no experience required)
4. Last but not the least: You are actually advancing your education and not just wasting time & resources on a token diploma.

Applying:
In general, immigration consultants advise you against applying to Universities and advertise for colleges (for which they get huge commissions by the way). Actually, it is not that difficult to apply to a Uni. Uni system is usually more transparent and well laid out - you probably will need to have references though.
Good luck!
HI velveteen, agree with you, in fact there're some PNP that are open to Master degree student without job offer, but you have to take into consideration the tuition fees for a Master at the University, i'm not sure but it has to be much more expensive than a diploma or certificate

velveteen

Star Member
Jun 8, 2015
Category........
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
11-15-2015
AOR Received.
11-15-2015
lorerodri said:
HI velveteen, agree with you, in fact there're some PNP that are open to Master degree student without job offer, but you have to take into consideration the tuition fees for a Master at the University, i'm not sure but it has to be much more expensive than a diploma or certificate

Hi,
I agree with the financial aspect. But Universities have more opportunities for scholarships or on-campus employment as well. The opportunities for career and personal growth a University can provide, a college can seldom match that. It is definitely a better value for money (to say the least).
Example comparison of fees ( A college may charge around $14,000/yr and the University is more like $20,000/yr - depends on the program of course). And the fact that a Master's would significantly improve your job prospects and better pay ( at least in some fields) and perhaps immigration is pretty relevant too. Agin, to each their own I guess.

lorerodri

Feb 10, 2013
Category........
NOC Code......
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
I understand your point, again study a Master it's much more expensive, not everyone can afford it. can you share with us the average investment in a program like this?

For example, how much money was your total investment for a single year?

By the way, congratulation for achieving your degree at the University ;)

I hope to keep in touch with you, since i have not decided yet where and what to study so you might help me with it.

velveteen

Star Member
Jun 8, 2015
Category........
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
11-15-2015
AOR Received.
11-15-2015
lorerodri said:
I understand your point, again study a Master it's much more expensive, not everyone can afford it. can you share with us the average investment in a program like this?
-Other than the tuition fees, your major expense will be rent (which is highly variable depending upon where you live and with how many roommates you share)
-Also, if you work in research based degree, you will most likely get a stipend that will cover at least your tuition fees.

For example, how much money was your total investment for a single year?

By the way, congratulation for achieving your degree at the University ;)

I hope to keep in touch with you, since i have not decided yet where and what to study so you might help me with it.

lorerodri

Feb 10, 2013
Category........
NOC Code......
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
I forgot to tell you about the requirements to apply it's much higher than a College