+1(514) 937-9445 or Toll-free (Canada & US) +1 (888) 947-9445

On WorkPermit in Ontario.

sairao

Aug 24, 2018
Hello,

I moved to Canada on work permit a month back along with my wife and we think we are pregnant.

I got temp insurance provided by my employer with Desjardin and yet to apply for OHIP.

Wanted to know what are my options here for the medical expenses.

Thanks in advance.

bimale4bipeople

VIP Member
Apr 15, 2018
Hello,

I moved to Canada on work permit a month back along with my wife and we think we are pregnant.

I got temp insurance provided by my employer with Desjardin and yet to apply for OHIP.

Wanted to know what are my options here for the medical expenses.

Thanks in advance.
The OHIP coverage starts after 3 months of your landing...
Not every ServiceOntario deals with WP applicants... you should call them before hand.... I know of one on Dundas st in Mississauga
1151 Dundas St W Unit 14, Mississauga, ON L5C 1C6

With that being said, what’s the status of your wife, is she on OWP ?

canuck78

VIP Member
Jun 18, 2017
Not every ServiceOntario deals with WP applicants... you should call them before hand.... I know of one on Dundas st in Mississauga

Disagree. That is for PRs. It is 6 months.

Who qualifies
To qualify for OHIP, you must meet all of the minimum qualifications listed below plus at least one of the additional requirements.

To meet the minimum qualifications you must:

• be physically in Ontario for 153 days in any 12‑month period
  • be physically in Ontario for at least 153 days of the first 183 days immediately after you began living in the province
  • make Ontario your primary home
You must also meet at least one of the following additional requirements. You:

• are a Canadian citizen
  • are an Indigenous person (registered under the federal Indian Act)
  • are a permanent resident (formerly called a “landed immigrant”)
  • have applied for permanent residence, and Immigration, Refugees and Citizenship Canada has confirmed that:
    • you meet the eligibility requirements to apply
    • you have not yet been denied
  • are in Ontario on a valid work permit and are working full-time in Ontario, for an Ontario employer, for at least six months
    • your spouse and any dependents also qualify if you do
  • are in Ontario on a valid work permit under the federal Live-in Caregiver Program
  • are a convention refugee or other protected person (as defined by Immigration and Refugee Board of Canada)
  • have a Temporary Resident Permit (only certain case types, e.g. 86 through 95)
  • are a clergy member who can legally stay in Canada and is ministering full time in Ontario for at least six months

bimale4bipeople

VIP Member
Apr 15, 2018
Disagree. That is for PRs. It is 6 months.

Who qualifies
To qualify for OHIP, you must meet all of the minimum qualifications listed below plus at least one of the additional requirements.

To meet the minimum qualifications you must:

• be physically in Ontario for 153 days in any 12‑month period
  • be physically in Ontario for at least 153 days of the first 183 days immediately after you began living in the province
  • make Ontario your primary home
You must also meet at least one of the following additional requirements. You:

• are a Canadian citizen
  • are an Indigenous person (registered under the federal Indian Act)
  • are a permanent resident (formerly called a “landed immigrant”)
  • have applied for permanent residence, and Immigration, Refugees and Citizenship Canada has confirmed that:
    • you meet the eligibility requirements to apply
    • you have not yet been denied
  • are in Ontario on a valid work permit and are working full-time in Ontario, for an Ontario employer, for at least six months
  • are in Ontario on a valid work permit under the federal Live-in Caregiver Program
  • are a convention refugee or other protected person (as defined by Immigration and Refugee Board of Canada)
  • have a Temporary Resident Permit (only certain case types, e.g. 86 through 95)
  • are a clergy member who can legally stay in Canada and is ministering full time in Ontario for at least six months
The 6 month rule is about the minimum work permit validity and not that you have to work for 6 months to be eligible...
e.g. if you are on a WP which is 6 months or even for a lesser period, you will not be eligible for the OHIP, that's what it means...

Moreover I am on a WP who moved last year, been through this process first hand for myself and then for my wife and kids... So I am very sure what I have quoted above...

Last edited:
Reactions: sairao

sairao

Aug 24, 2018

Thanks for your response, yes she is on OWP.

bimale4bipeople

VIP Member
Apr 15, 2018
Thanks for your response, yes she is on OWP.
Thats fine then...
One more thing is the documentation that you will need...
Each of you need an address proof... You and your wife if you have completed the G1 driving license, once you received the license (card) you can use that as an option... You can also use a tenant insurance for the address proof..
During any time of these 3 months(the cooling period, as I call it), you can go to the Service Ontario and apply... the OHIP card will be mailed to you by post around the time you complete the 3 months.

sairao

Aug 24, 2018
Thats fine then...
One more thing is the documentation that you will need...
Each of you need an address proof... You and your wife if you have completed the G1 driving license, once you received the license (card) you can use that as an option... You can also use a tenant insurance for the address proof..
During any time of these 3 months(the cooling period, as I call it), you can go to the Service Ontario and apply... the OHIP card will be mailed to you by post around the time you complete the 3 months.

I moved from US and I applied for G (by exchanging my US one).. Do my wife also need to have a address proof ??

bimale4bipeople

VIP Member
Apr 15, 2018
I moved from US and I applied for G (by exchanging my US one).. Do my wife also need to have a address proof ??
Yes your wife needs to show the address proof in her name... there is list on OHIP website for the documents you can use as proof of address, you can refer that...

Reactions: sairao