+1(514) 937-9445 or Toll-free (Canada & US) +1 (888) 947-9445

On IEC, applied for PR. Can I leave Canada for a short holiday?

daniel07

Nov 7, 2018
Hi everyone. Hoping for some advice.

My IEC expires at the end of January.

I've applied for PR (spousal sponsorship, my wife is Canadian) and an OWP.

Can I leave Canada to go on holiday to the US over Christmas? I would be flying back to Canada 2 weeks before the IEC expires.

Will I be let back in?

If it makes a difference, I'm British.

Thanks in advance!

kcward7

VIP Member
May 4, 2017
Hi everyone. Hoping for some advice.

My IEC expires at the end of January.

I've applied for PR (spousal sponsorship, my wife is Canadian) and an OWP.

Can I leave Canada to go on holiday to the US over Christmas? I would be flying back to Canada 2 weeks before the IEC expires.

Will I be let back in?

If it makes a difference, I'm British.

Thanks in advance!
No one can tell you if you will be let back in. Pending that you meet admissibility requirements, you should, but it certainly does not mean that you will. If you are not, your PR application will be abandoned. It's really about assessing the level of risk you're willing to take personally.

daniel07

Nov 7, 2018
No one can tell you if you will be let back in. Pending that you meet admissibility requirements, you should, but it certainly does not mean that you will. If you are not, your PR application will be abandoned. It's really about assessing the level of risk you're willing to take personally.
Wow, thanks for the reply. Very helpful to know.

Why would they NOT let me back in if I still have a valid work permit, a full time job, and meet all the criteria?

Cheers.

monkeys89

Aug 24, 2018
Category........
FAM
Wow, thanks for the reply. Very helpful to know.

Why would they NOT let me back in if I still have a valid work permit, a full time job, and meet all the criteria?

Cheers.
There aren't a lot of possible reasons, but they relate to CBSA officers assessing you as likely to overstay your visa. Mostly, it is if they have a bad day. It's a small risk, but it's a risk.

Reactions: daniel07

daniel07

Nov 7, 2018
There aren't a lot of possible reasons, but they relate to CBSA officers assessing you as likely to overstay your visa. Mostly, it is if they have a bad day. It's a small risk, but it's a risk.
I'm an idiot. I just realised I forgot to mention I've also applied for an OWP.

Will that help me get back in the country, assuming I bring all the proof I've applied for it? Cheers.

EDIT: I'm a double idiot. I DID mention I'd applied for an OWP. But won't the OWP give me implied visitor status? As long as I show proof of funds, proof of application for the OWP, and proof of insurance to cover the period before the OWP comes back, does that help me chances of being let back into the country?

np08

Jan 13, 2015
Category........
FAM
Visa Office......
Mississauga, OT
App. Filed.......
Feb 09, 2018
AOR Received.
Mar 07, 2018
Med's Request
Aug 8, 2018
Med's Done....
Aug 13, 2018
LANDED..........
Dec 18, 2018
I'm an idiot. I just realised I forgot to mention I've also applied for an OWP.

Will that help me get back in the country, assuming I bring all the proof I've applied for it? Cheers.

EDIT: I'm a double idiot. I DID mention I'd applied for an OWP. But won't the OWP give me implied visitor status? As long as I show proof of funds, proof of application for the OWP, and proof of insurance to cover the period before the OWP comes back, does that help me chances of being let back into the country?
Visitor status or any other status that isn't citizen or permanent resident doesn't guarantee entry into the country. You could have a work visa or a study permit and there are still situations in which you could be denied entry. It all comes down to the officer in question, really.

So, while it is very unlikely, the chance is always there that you might be denied entry for some reason (in this case it's usually the officer thinking you will overstay in case your PR application is denied). No one can guarantee you'll be let in. Which is why most people don't leave the country while their application is being processed, unless it's really some extreme situation, such as a family member passing or something like that, things that can't be delayed.

Reactions: daniel07

daniel07

Nov 7, 2018
Visitor status or any other status that isn't citizen or permanent resident doesn't guarantee entry into the country. You could have a work visa or a study permit and there are still situations in which you could be denied entry. It all comes down to the officer in question, really.

So, while it is very unlikely, the chance is always there that you might be denied entry for some reason (in this case it's usually the officer thinking you will overstay in case your PR application is denied). No one can guarantee you'll be let in. Which is why most people don't leave the country while their application is being processed, unless it's really some extreme situation, such as a family member passing or something like that, things that can't be delayed.
Thank you so much for your reply.

Understood - there's no guarantee of reentry.

Is there anything I can do to increase my chances of being let back in if I do decide to leave and attempt reentry?

np08

Jan 13, 2015
Category........
FAM
Visa Office......
Mississauga, OT
App. Filed.......
Feb 09, 2018
AOR Received.
Mar 07, 2018
Med's Request
Aug 8, 2018
Med's Done....
Aug 13, 2018
LANDED..........
Dec 18, 2018
Thank you so much for your reply.

Understood - there's no guarantee of reentry.

Is there anything I can do to increase my chances of being let back in if I do decide to leave and attempt reentry?
I'm not sure. I myself have no plans to leave until I get my PR so I haven't really looked into it.