+1(514) 937-9445 or Toll-free (Canada & US) +1 (888) 947-9445

OMG!!! I am not able to achieve score above 7 in reading even after 5 attempts. Whats going on?

ManishShetty1

Dec 20, 2019
Hi,

IELTS GT / Paper-based

@Nov 7: L:8 R: 6 W: 7 S: 7.5

@Oct 26: L:7.5 R:7 W:7 S:8

@Sep 07: L:8 R:6 W:6.5 S:8

@Aug 24: L:8.5 R:6 W:7 S:7.5

@jan[ 05: L:7 R: 6.5 W:7 S:7

Needless to say I am quite devastated and shocked with my reading scores right now. The reading module was the easiest, and I was expecting a much better score this time since I practised a lot (20 tests) from the cambridge ielts. I did diagonose the problem (T/F/NG) which i used to initially face in my reading, which helped boost my score to 37 range in mocks. Moreover, this time I even completed the reading test on time and got time to recheck my answer. However, I got only an 6. Thats roughly 10 WRONG ANSWERS!!! I am not sure WHY i keep getting such a low band score in exam even though in the mocks i usually score in the range 35-37. [FYI: I write all my answers in CAPS]

If you could please provide some suggestion on what I could do to overcome this problem with READING that would be great. If there are any instructors/mentors whom I could discuss with regarding this, that would be extremely helpful.

Last edited:

MarvelousMitz

Jun 7, 2019
Hi Manish,

I do not know what is your style of answering reading module, but for me answering questions after quickly going through each reading module/part, and at the same time carefully understanding, worked for me.

in my first attempt I was only able to secure 6.5 in reading, though I thought that I was going to get 7.5 or even 8!! this was mostly due to T/F/NG and ignorance of proper understanding of the content on my part. I was following "Tricks" to quickly find answer from a para. through "keywords" method, and I paid the price.

In my second attempt though I changed my style of answering, particular for reading module and I secured, to my own disbelief at first, perfect 9 in reading.

I am not saying you should do the same, I would only suggest you to understand the content first if you're also following some "tricks" to answer.

At the end you should follow the style which works best for you.

Best of luck!!

joker2209

Star Member
Oct 21, 2019
I use a different strategy and my scores were
L:9 R: 8.5 W: 7 S: 7.5
You should start in reverse order.Attempt the last comprehension first (as it is the trickiest) and attempt the first one at last
It should definitely help
All the best

Lumidee89

Feb 4, 2020
Hi,

IELTS GT / Paper-based

@Nov 7: L:8 R: 6 W: 7 S: 7.5

@Oct 26: L:7.5 R:7 W:7 S:8

@Sep 07: L:8 R:6 W:6.5 S:8

@Aug 24: L:8.5 R:6 W:7 S:7.5

@jan[ 05: L:7 R: 6.5 W:7 S:7

Needless to say I am quite devastated and shocked with my reading scores right now. The reading module was the easiest, and I was expecting a much better score this time since I practised a lot (20 tests) from the cambridge ielts. I did diagonose the problem (T/F/NG) which i used to initially face in my reading, which helped boost my score to 37 range in mocks. Moreover, this time I even completed the reading test on time and got time to recheck my answer. However, I got only an 6. Thats roughly 10 WRONG ANSWERS!!! I am not sure WHY i keep getting such a low band score in exam even though in the mocks i usually score in the range 35-37. [FYI: I write all my answers in CAPS]

If you could please provide some suggestion on what I could do to overcome this problem with READING that would be great. If there are any instructors/mentors whom I could discuss with regarding this, that would be extremely helpful.
I will suggest that you practice the reading section as if you are under exam condition.
The method I use to approach reading is to do the first three sections as fast as possible (since they are the easy parts) so that I can have enough time for the long passage. This approach has always worked for me.
I feel you should practice enough materials so as to determine which method works best for you.

Visavie

Star Member
Jan 27, 2020
I use a different strategy and my scores were
L:9 R: 8.5 W: 7 S: 7.5
You should start in reverse order.Attempt the last comprehension first (as it is the trickiest) and attempt the first one at last
It should definitely help
All the best
I am with you on this. I got 9 in reading on my first attempt. The last section I worked it like a robot. Not trying to understand the essence of it but just going up and down the text and the questions and answering what I believe I got right. I didnt care if I put the same answer on two questions. I went on because I was sure it was going to be clarified when I will encounter the right answer.

Bruno1808

Star Member
Feb 22, 2020
You may simply need to prepare more. If you have a desk job, I would recommend you do a computer-delivered IELTS test.